sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

23 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

Now I’m dating myself...

Does that get weird around the holidays?  It must be hard surprising yourself with gifts.

17 minutes ago, codypet said:

They did actually film Monster in Orlando.  It completely took me out of the movie after the opening scene.  I pretty much tried to identify locations the whole rest of the movie after that.

That was the main redeeming feature for The Florida Project (Kissimmee) for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Does that get weird around the holidays?  It must be hard surprising yourself with gifts.

That was the main redeeming feature for The Florida Project (Kissimmee) for me.

Monster and the Florida Project... 

Kissimmee finds its way into pop culture.

49 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

D.A.R.Y.L. and Parenthood (both from the '80's) did extensive filming in actual Orlando locations (including my old boss' house.)

I watched them filming a scene from D.A.R.Y.L. at a house on Euclid Ave...

euclid.png

They also had the on and off ramps at the 408 and Mills shut down for a night or two while they were filming on the 408. They had some kind of wood ramps built for some reason. I was living at Pine and Summerlin at the time, so I walked over there and watched a little.

As for Parenthood, I worked as a substitute teacher for OCPS for awhile back then. One day when I was working an assignment at WP 9th Grade Center, word spread around the cafeteria during lunch that Ron Howard was supposed to show up because they were doing a scene at one of the softball fields behind the school. Everybody was hanging around the courtyard waiting and time was running out. The bell for the end of lunch was about a minute or two away and the chances of seeing him were dwindling, when  suddenly, an old Datsun B210 pulled up and out stepped Richie Cunningham!! All the kids were waving and yelling "Hey Opie!!!" He smiled and waved back then disappeared around the corner. The bell rang and the crowd dispersed. Just like in the movies. 

And finally, let's also not forget Ernest Saves Christmas

I watched them filming a scene from that one on Orange Avenue one afternoon, too. Scene had to do with a young gal running out of a store and jumping into a taxi cab. The cab would drive around the block, come back and they'd do it again. Must've refilmed it 20 times while I was there. It was the block between Pine and Central on the west side of Orange. I tried to get into a scene by standing in the doorway of McCrory's, but apparently, like so many other would be stars, I ended up on the cutting room floor. :cry:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, codypet said:

They did actually film Monster in Orlando.  It completely took me out of the movie after the opening scene.  I pretty much tried to identify locations the whole rest of the movie after that.

That bit where they are in Southern Nights and then walk out the door to the parking lot of Whiskey Lou's totally broke my immersion. :P

42 minutes ago, Camillo Sitte said:

"Parenthood', Ron Howard, "Monster", Academy awards? Pfft.

The undisputed  king of filmed-in-Orlando movies has to be "Shakma!"

61XnPz0YSJL._SY445_.jpg

I've seen this referenced on various crappy-movie sites that I haunt but never realized it had an Orlando connection. Now I have to watch it. 

And speaking of connections, Miami Connection has tons of Orlando scenes - a big kung-fu gang fight down on Church Street and Orange, lots of UCF scenes (because that's where all the kung-fu rock bands who go on world tour go to school) and there's a running ninja sword fight in what might be Mayor Carl T. Langford Park.  If you enjoy bad movies or Orlando references, I strongly recommend the Rifftrax of this film. 

• Like 1

And how could I forget Miami Connection - the best kung fu/80s pop action flick ever! The battle at Church Street Station is epic! Or totally awesome, as the kids would have said back in the day.

download.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

Do y’all recommend any of these paid sources for general Orlando business and development news? OBJ, sentinel, growthspotter, etc?

Sadly, OBJ is a bit of a joke. They'll post just about anything to get clicks without bothering to analyze it.

I subscribe to the Sentinel but their owner, Tronc, has so decimated it that they miss a lot of what's going on.

I don't pay for GrowthSpotter so one of those who do will have to rate it for you.

Oddly enough, alternative paper Orlando Weekly gets some great scoops especially from Ken Storey on theme parks and Paul Brinkmann on business. 

Ken posts on here periodically as do Brendan from Bungalower and Mark from Daily City so you can learn a lot just by watching in here.

1 minute ago, codypet said:

Growthspotter appears to be using the Tribune co's format for their site so I assumed they were related to the OS.

Growthspotter is OS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, OBJ is a bit of a joke. They'll post just about anything to get clicks without bothering to analyze it.
I subscribe to the Sentinel but their owner, Tronc, has so decimated it that they miss a lot of what's going on.
I don't pay for GrowthSpotter so one of those who do will have to rate it for you.
Oddly enough, alternative paper Orlando Weekly gets some great scoops especially from Ken Storey on theme parks and Paul Brinkmann on business. 
Ken posts on here periodically as do Brendan from Bungalower and Mark from Daily City so you can learn a lot just by watching in here.

How long has Brinkmann been over at the Weekly? That’s new for me, but glad to hear he hasn’t left the area.

12 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

How long has Brinkmann been over at the Weekly? That’s new for me, but glad to hear he hasn’t left the area.

It was a surprise to me too - it was sometime in the last few months. I have no idea if he took a buyout or was laid off by Tronc or left the Sentinel for other reasons. 

I was hoping klstorey might know but haven't heard anything so far.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, klstorey said:

News to me. And news to Seth K. 

The OW page shows it was posted June 29, 2018 at 8:36 am.

Let's try this:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/06/29/new-signs-of-life-on-and-around-universal-orlandos-expansion-property?media=AMP+HTML

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Honestly if you want to hear it first this forum is the place 99% of the time.   If you want better context and quotes from the players as soon as they are available, Growthspotter does it right.  The OBJ is a mess for correct context.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Honestly if you want to hear it first this forum is the place 99% of the time.   If you want better context and quotes from the players as soon as they are available, Growthspotter does it right.  The OBJ is a mess for correct context.

Yeah, Growthspotter is much better than I thought it would be when OS first started a little while ago.  10/10 would recommend

• Like 1

I find that these forums are usually faster and better than both. Back when I read GS they only posted like 3 stories a day, sometimes they'd go a week or more before getting anything of interest to me. My family is all in residential construction and most of the stuff they post regarding that is either old or not really that important. They do best with new businesses and big projects, like downtown towers. I personally don't think their subscription cost is worth it for the amount of news that I found relevant to my interests. 

I mostly read these forums via the emails and I follow a ton of local sites via Feedly. Most of the local blogs (like Bungalower, Daily City, Scott Joseph, Roger Simmons, Nonawise, and Orlando Rising) get stuff first. If you follow a bunch of them it's almost like one good paper. I agree that the quality of the content at OBJ has declined. It used to be my go-to, now it has so much fluff. 

Not really Orlando construction/urban planning but one great site that's well worth the subscription cost is Florida Today. One of the few magazines I almost always read cover to cover. 

I've been impressed by the improving quality at WMFE. They're really focusing on local news and with written articles. Lots of great talent over there that usually get overlooked because it's not print. I'm glad to see them focus more on non-audio ways to share news content. 

News 13 has also been steadily improving lately, especially with their theme park coverage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/21/2018 at 8:48 PM, Jernigan said:
Permit Number: MPL2018-10061
Project: Orange and Robinson Apartments
Address: 336 N ORANGE AVE ORLANDO FL
Description: Master Plan request for a 325-unit multi-family development with a 606 space parking garage.
Application Status: Open

Where do you guys find these?

• Thanks 1

Anybody know why Crain's Business Journal pulled out of Orlando? 

Having a Crain's was a big deal.  Orlando was one of a select few cities. 

It'a a go-to for a lot of people in NYC and elsewhere.

• Sad 1

Anyone know what is going on with the in progress 7 Eleven at crescent station? I have seen no discernible progress in like a month . Also, Philly Connection is closed permanently :-( 

• Sad 1

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, Jernigan said:

...and for correct editing:  "Walls Fargo lays off 137..."  And this isn't the first time I've seen typos online.  It makes me want to launch a scud at them.

1 hour ago, NJBlake said:

Anyone know what is going on with the in progress 7 Eleven at crescent station? I have seen no discernible progress in like a month . Also, Philly Connection is closed permanently :-( 

Dunno about 7-Eleven; terrible thing about Philly Connection- they closed as did the pizza place at Skyhouse… I thought Courthouse traffic would be enough to sustain them both.