Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

49 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I was wondering about that also. Didn't someone say they ran Ferg's kitchen out of train cars? Seems like the volume an OG does would preclude that.

The depot has an unusual layout for a restaurant. Again, can't imagine a company like Darden spending a huge chunk of change to make that building workable for an Olive Garden.  Seems it would be easier to take over other spaces on Church Street (if they really want a location there) or look for a new build somewhere downtown (Modera or the new Church Street/Suntrust building).

If it is true, it's a good sign that national retailers might be starting to eye the downtown core.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

The depot has an unusual layout for a restaurant. Again, can't imagine a company like Darden spending a huge chunk of change to make that building workable for an Olive Garden.  Seems it would be easier to take over other spaces on Church Street (if they really want a location there) or look for a new build somewhere downtown (Modera or the new Church Street/Suntrust building).

If it is true, it's a good sign that national retailers might be starting to eye the downtown core.

IDK if you remember it or not, but OG used to occupy the top floor of the CS Market including the bridge part.

Might they move back into that space or is some other long term tenant in there?

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

IDK if you remember it or not, but OG used to occupy the top floor of the CS Market including the bridge part.

Might they move back into that space or is some other long term tenant in there?

There was a fellow who posted in here for a bit a while back who was all excited about taking over that space for his firm - not sure how long-term it was .

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I assume OG never had trouble at lunch so I'm guessing their guest count at dinner must have fallen way off once CSS closed - I wonder if that has sufficiently recovered to make it work for a high-volume chain?

I always assumed it's business fell off when Downtown Disney and Universal City Walk took all the tourist business away from downtown.

Or maybe it was either a combination of both.

Or maybe A led to B which led to C.

I don't go downtown in the evening anymore so I don't have a good concept of the level of foot traffic around there on a typical evening.

• Like 1

The Depot (Ferg's) total leasable space is about 15k square feet. However, that includes all the patio and storage and upstairs offices. The climate controlled space on the ground floor is only about 4800 square feet and that is divided into two separate spaces. My understanding is these spaces can not be combined due to the building's historic designation does not permit much in the way of outside modifications and as I said before it lacks a real kitchen. Also, OC average store space is about 7500 square feet. Y'all can chuckle at me when I'm proven wrong, but I'm siding with FLClarkKent and calling bull on this rumor.

• Like 2

Actually, what you're saying makes sense. Darden has always gravitated toward standardized spaces in their locations so I would be surprised to have them wander so far off the reservation to do this.

There's been talk almost ever since OG left downtown (and they grumbled about the oddball CSM location while they were there, also) that they wanted to come back downtown one day.

Then Ferg's clears out and someone puts together 2 + 2 and gets 5. I guess we'll find out.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, what you're saying makes sense. Darden has always gravitated toward standardized spaces in their locations so I would be surprised to have them wander so far off the reservation to do this.

There's been talk almost ever since OG left downtown (and they grumbled about the oddball CSM location while they were there, also) that they wanted to come back downtown one day.

Then Ferg's clears out and someone puts together 2 + 2 and gets 5. I guess we'll find out.

I’d rather have one of their other more unique concepts, but it’s fine. I think they almost definetely will extend the building towards the Mad Cow building to construct the kitchen.

Oh and...

#Bringbackthetrain

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018 at 8:48 PM, Jernigan said:
Permit Number: MPL2018-10061
Project: Orange and Robinson Apartments
Address: 336 N ORANGE AVE ORLANDO FL
Description: Master Plan request for a 325-unit multi-family development with a 606 space parking garage.
Application Status: Open

Any more information on this ?

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I was wondering about that also. Didn't someone say they ran Ferg's kitchen out of train cars? Seems like the volume an OG does would preclude that.

I love Olive Garden. Partly because Millennials consider it the apotheosis of evil.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Hope it has some decent height!

If the permit is an indicator, this will have about the same amount of units and parking spaces as Modera and 520.   Eyeing this one on googlemaps, the site looks to be a slightly larger footprint than Modera and a smaller footprint than 520.  Therefore, I'd think it would come in somewhere in between in terms of height.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, spenser1058 said:

There was a fellow who posted in here for a bit a while back who was all excited about taking over that space for his firm - not sure how long-term it was .

gimme about 5 minutes and then look in the 55 west thread #CLIFFHANGER

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there really a demand for the amount of apartments being built/proposed downtown in Orlando?

5 hours ago, ucfpatriot18 said:

336 N Orange Ave  rendering   Not sure if this has been posted yet  

600A1F3E-A3C4-45BB-838B-216E44375E5C.png

I HOPE this does not happen at it's current location.  This lot can have upwards of 400+ Units. Ahhhh This proposal stinks where it is if you ask me.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn

This is the Diocese's parking lot?  Yeah, hard pass.  I'd rather have just a parking garage with ground level retail built with foundations to add a tower later.  Unacceptable on arguably the most important lot left in the CBD. 

The addition of OCB/Fuzzys/Insomnia/Hubbly Bubbly/Wells Fargo has added an entire block to the urban fabric that was previous dead.  With the cathedral taking up the next block, this lot HAS to be a major draw if we ever hope to truly connect the lower part of the CBD with the courthouse/lynx/sentinel/camden/north quarter.

• Like 4