Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

14 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Is there really a demand for the amount of apartments being built/proposed downtown in Orlando?

I HOPE this does not happen at it's current location.  This lot can have upwards of 400+ Units. Ahhhh This proposal stinks where it is if you ask me.

In my opinion, absolutely yes. The demand is still clearly there with occupancies still at 95% or so. It doesn’t even matter what they charge, it all rents. With that said, one of these buildings will end up being one too many. Which? Who knows. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, leondecollao said:

In my opinion, absolutely yes. The demand is still clearly there with occupancies still at 95% or so. It doesn’t even matter what they charge, it all rents. With that said, one of these buildings will end up being one too many. Which? Who knows. 

So long as Orlando maintains its torrid growth rate (and given the investments in attractions, STEM and infrastructure - including UCF/Valencia - right now, we should be good for at least the next five years barring a disaster of the national economy.)

The interesting thing about our downtown is that interest in living here has not abated, at least among the younger set. While most second-tier MSA growth has reverted to the 'burbs, downtown and UCF remain our hottest areas. Apparently our stubby little skyscrapers aren't putting most folks off.

58 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

This is just a flat out lazy design. BOA building will dwarf it with that huge postmodern base. Any building on this corner needs to respect the entire block.

I could deal with the trunctuated height if it just didn't look so much like a typical beachside condo.

Modular design can go either way. The Contemporary and Polynesian Resorts at WDW are OK, while the Court of Flags off Major Blvd. and the Hyatt Hotel off 192 (which was supposed to be part of the Carolando complex with a revolving restaurant atop a huge tower that was never built) were both meh (and are both gone now.)

https://www.uspostcards.com/Post-Card/Florida/Kissimmee/fl_qq_5743/Carolando-Hotel-Motor-Inn

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Modular design can go either way. The Contemporary and Polynesian Resorts at WDW are OK, while the Court of Flags off Major Blvd. and the Hyatt Hotel off 192 (which was supposed to be part of the Carolando complex with a revolving restaurant atop a huge tower that was never built) were both meh (and are both gone now.)

https://www.uspostcards.com/Post-Card/Florida/Kissimmee/fl_qq_5743/Carolando-Hotel-Motor-Inn

That was cool!   Kinda funny:  “Super tall observation tower and...ahem...uh...motor inn...”

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, jliv said:

It looks like Finfrock is the proposed "design-build" contractor for the building.   Lots of modular pre-fab built off-site, which is reflected in their designs.   

That said, it could be more interesting.  They did 101 S Eola, which is no architectural gem, but something that looked similar (and twice the height) here would be an improvement over these elevations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smileguy said:

This is a great (free) event for those of you who believe the streets should belong to the people (not cars).  There are also paid add-ons, but you can attend for free. 

As a side note, this event is perusing funding from Orange County TDT to become a landmark/destination event for Orlando, drawing attendees from across the country (and around the world.)  It takes the great work being done in theatres, concert halls, studios, and museums around the area and democratizes them. I encourage everyone to check it out.

Well, considering that the streets were made for cars. *runs away using sidewalk*

• Haha 2

A thought that came to me as I looked at that shot of Magnolia Place: originally, it was the main location for First Federal of Orlando (an S&L and the biggest in town back then.)

What's interesting to me is that, as originally built with a granite and faux marble exterior (if you've ever seen reruns of the original Perry Mason on TV, that building would remind you of First Federal), along with the huge block lettering along the side, it seemed much more imposing than the 1990's redo in the photo.

The First seemed to like that austere look: duPont Centre (now BoA)  was built to replace their Magnolia HQ.

It seems that more than just height determines how we react to the spaces we see.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1