Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, sunshine said:

Florida Mall parking is the pain.  I like Millenia because of the high end stores although I dont spend much there.

Disney Spring is nice but it is so far away and more like a suburb setting.

the best way to enjoy the mall and get parking is by going in the morning and/or anytime that is not close to a holiday 

I find Disney Springs to be a rather expensive version of the Premium Outlets. some tourists dont know better so thats how they get $$

4 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I just realized that there aren't many empty lots left on the east side of I-4 once the currently scheduled projects are completed.

That's a good point and either it ramps up pressure to move further into Parramore or we'll finally start going vertical once the latest crop depreciates.

There are still lots between Eola and Summerlin that almost launched just before the crash (Bel Fontaine, for example, was just days away from selling when the bottom fell out.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orange87 said:

I just realized that there aren't many empty lots left on the east side of I-4 once the currently scheduled projects are completed.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

That's a good point and either it ramps up pressure to move further into Parramore or we'll finally start going vertical once the latest crop depreciates.

There are still lots between Eola and Summerlin that almost launched just before the crash (Bel Fontaine, for example, was just days away from selling when the bottom fell out.)

Really? I did a quick check of Google maps (quicker than a drive up Garland Av) and it looks like there's an abundance of prime real estate just begging for high rise development. 

I see a surface lot between Pine and Central, the undeveloped northern portion of the parcel "The Refrigerator" occupies, another surface lot just north of that between Washington and Jefferson, and a huge parcel between Amelia and Concord that spans both sides of the RR tracks, the west part of which is currently being used as a staging area for the I-4 project.

Fill those parcels up with high rises and we're talking an unrecognizable downtown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw Bob Snow in the parking lot of a convenience store on 535 near LBV once back in the 80's or early 90's. He was getting into a yellow convertable Mercedes. He nodded, smiled and said hello as did I in return.

I also rode in an elevator with Michael Eisner once in that five story glass office building that sits right off Buena Vista Dr, and which used to have a Sun Bank on the ground floor and housed the offices of RCID permitting dept on the upper floors. I had my arms full of papers and documents, and he politely held the elevator door open for me.

Just in case anyone is interested, I mean..... :dontknow:

End of an era; the Orlando Sentinel reporter Kevin Spear wrote an interesting article describing the final days of the OS printing presses (complete with pictures and a video):

Orlando Sentinel presses: News titans scrapped by digital disruption

Press.jpg.4bc1e5275429d895b16f5f564691866f.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ

A few interesting quotes from the OBJ article about the development at Orange and Robinson-

Orlando is... "currently in the equilibrium phase of the cycle, which attracts capital from all over the world. We are seeing strong year-over-year rent growth, which makes us a very attractive city to live and invest."

and

"Occupancy rates are expected to remain higher than 95 percent over the next year, well above average among Southeastern cities, which should trigger rent growth, according to the report. There are more than 11,700 apartment units in the local construction pipeline, and 30 percent of those units are being built in downtown Orlando."

Someone here recently asked if all of these apartments can get filled and it seems the developers believe so.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/09/13/65m-apartment-complex-planned-for-downtown.html

• Like 1

Most interesting to me was the statement that 30% of the apartments are going downtown. While some second tier Sunbelt cities have seen their nascent attempts to rejuvenate their downtowns recede since the recovery began, our downtown continues to see strong activity. I like that.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1