Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

18 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I assume most everyone has already looked at this overview of 1st half of 2018 developments- http://www.downtownorlando.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/DevelopmentProfile1stHalf2018_R8.pdf

but some might have missed the 2nd half version- http://online.fliphtml5.com/gydm/szxq/#p=1

I've seen both of these before and find it odd that when we're not being marketed as Thornton Park by the DDB, all the projects listed here call South Eola "Planning Area: Eola Heights" or simply "Planning Area: Eola" as if South Eola is that which must not be named.

I would say I understand if the Eola/Eola Heights planning area is something large that overlaps South Eola but projects in Eola Heights like Fountain Vu5 are actually listed as "Planning Area: Eola Height Historic District" so either the DDB is just all over the place with how they choose to refer to things (and never acknowledge South Eola exists) or I'm missing something.

21 hours ago, W7edwin said:

was flipping through that PDF and saw the Residence Inn page.. im still mad that Mamas Subs didn't budge.. that corner is tainted forever 

Too bad RI (or whoever owns the property) didn't buy up MB's when they finally did sell, then demo the old MB building and extend the hotel. If nothing else, they could've built a really nice atrium lobby, retail and conference area.

Guess the money just wasn't right.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

We can start a Rogues' Gallery of the spots that messed up someone's plans for real estate glory:

• L.U.S.T Cash Transactors 

• Mama B's

• The Church of No Soccer Here (not sure of the actual name)

I'm sure there are others.

126554A5-2C61-4876-99D7-BAB563AA5D59.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really think the city should rethink acorn lights on major thoroughfares like Colonial. They look good in the neighborhoods, around lakes and in historic districts, however with a street as wide as Colonial (about as wide as Wilshire Blvd in LA), I think they need to consider taller, less “cutesy” streetscaping.

Likely not a priority for the city, but food for thought. It’s often the small details that leave a lasting impression on people’s views of an urban space.

• Thanks 1