Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

19 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Stupid public storage.  Lame!

Thanks.  But yes that is bad.  I  hate public storge facilities for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is not at all attractive no matter what you do.  But also what a wast of space and resources, especially here on such a visible corner in our downtown! I wonder if we are the only  country where these things thrive?  We Americans have too much stuff if we can't even store it at our own domiciles.   I realize that temporary storage between moves, etc. make sense, but there is a large number of people that just keep these units forever because they just have too much junk in their possesion.

• Like 1

They can be useful. I've had a storage unit for about 20 years. I store mostly old business records that I am required to keep for extended periods. About 5 years ago I went to digital docs for current records, but I did not digitize back records. As my required holding period passes I am able to get rid of paper and hope to be at the end of storing stuff in the next few years. I recently shredded about 600lbs of old stuff.

29 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I've heard that punctuation goes outside the quotation marks, but I'm not sure.

But that's the way I do it anyway.

I really have no interest in a punctuation debate. I just thought it was poor that a long time forum member was called out unnecessarily for a grammar error.

• Like 2

It depends on what the punctuation is (and if you are talking U.S. English or the Queen's English). Generally speaking, periods always go inside quotation marks per U.S. standard style guides. 

Fun fact: this dates back to the time period of actual printing presses and moveable type, where the period had to be inside to get the spacing right and not lose the period at the end. It is an archaic quirk that has still held on despite the advent of electronic word processing. Kinda like the coccyx of typography.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In British English, the period indeed goes on the outside of the quotation. In the US, most punctuation goes inside the quotation, with question marks being the one exception, depending on if the original quote was a question or not. But it isn’t debatable: the conventions of standard American English dictate that periods always go within the quotation mark.

9 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

In British English, the period indeed goes on the outside of the quotation. In the US, most punctuation goes inside the quotation, with question marks being the one exception, depending on if the original quote was a question or not. But it isn’t debatable: the conventions of standard American English dictate that periods always go within the quotation mark.

So what you're is  that in the UK you're meant to put the period outside the quote; but in the US you're supposed to put it inside the quote. 

I often say gray is a color, but grey is a colour.

Two peoples separated by a common language.

• Thanks 1

Timeline remains murky for redevelopment of AT&T/Bell South building in downtown

image.png.996aaf76d5607bc3c4126c27bd08c074.png

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/10/30/timeline-remains-murky-for-redevelopment-of-at-t.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically an article that provides no information about the project.

• Sad 1

Developer refines design for planned downtown apartment tower

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-developer-refines-design-for-planned-downtown-apartment-tower-20181101-story.html#nt=oft03a-1la1

image.png.d7ef13bb771c7dd4719c1882198c471e.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer added 10th floor to align with Bank of America section height.  The apartments would be built around a 9,223-square-foot courtyard. The ground floor would contain the rest of the amenities, including a fitness center, bike storage room and pet spa -- but no retail. However, in this location, city requires that at least half of the street-frontage of the building allow for active commercial uses, including dining, retail and personal services.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:17 AM, sunshine said:

Developer refines design for planned downtown apartment tower

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-developer-refines-design-for-planned-downtown-apartment-tower-20181101-story.html#nt=oft03a-1la1

image.png.d7ef13bb771c7dd4719c1882198c471e.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer added 10th floor to align with Bank of America section height.  The apartments would be built around a 9,223-square-foot courtyard. The ground floor would contain the rest of the amenities, including a fitness center, bike storage room and pet spa -- but no retail. However, in this location, city requires that at least half of the street-frontage of the building allow for active commercial uses, including dining, retail and personal services.

Did we know that it was MAA looking to do this before? They own the "Post" properties.