Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

13 minutes ago, neoanderz said:

I see there is an article on OBJ about a new Panera coming to downtown.  I can’t read it due to the paywall.  Anyone know where this will be?

Interestingly, it's been 18 months since they announced they were closing at EO. Supposedly, other restaurants were considering the space but nothing so far.

Ostensibly, the reason for closing was the lack of a drive-thru but given nothing else has moved in I wonder if an outrageous rent increase had more to do with it (that has happened before at TPC.)

If it really was the lack of a drive-thru, that's going to limit where a truly downtown location could be.

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

"Panera Bread leased 5,200 square feet at 3138 S. Orange Ave. in downtown Orlando. Jorge Rodriguez of Colliers International Central Florida represented the landlord, and Jim Covacs of Colliers International Tampa represented Panera franchisee Covelli Family LP in the transaction."

They're referring to the SODO location it appears.

I guess if Camden can turn South Eola into Thornton Park, these guys can turn SoDo into downtown. I expect such hype from realtors and developers but journalists should do better. Language matters, folks *sigh*.

Thanks for posting that, though.

• Like 2

FWIW, drive-thrus are indeed a priority for Panera corporate moving forward. The Market at Southside location is closing in favor of the SODO location (making the blog post by OBJ all the more inaccurate ... or at least misleading). The Millenia location closed its food court cafe in favor of the freestanding building on Conroy. The OFS location will surely close to move to one of the new outparcels once they’re built.

Since each location is franchised-but the majority of the Central Florida cafes owned by Covelli- it’s up to the individual franchisees what format they want their restaurants to use. I wouldn’t be surprised if the partnership with Florida Hospital keeps the North Orange Ave location as-is for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Off topic... All this talk of Panera made me hungry so I made the trek over to the Winter Park location -- with no drive thru. The location on Fairbanks was my old stomping grounds before Rollins expanded. I haven't been to, or paid much attention to WP's growth over the past 10 years, but the older I get the more I appreciate Winter Park/Park Ave.

Well it isn't really Orlando. . . It's a nice area though. There are a couple of other decent ones in Orlando. Some decent ones being Washington/Thornton park and portions of Edgewater in College Park. I also like New Broad St area in Baldwin Park, although it has some of that Stepford Wives New Urbanism feel of master-planning. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, sunshine said:

Developer refines design for planned downtown apartment tower

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-developer-refines-design-for-planned-downtown-apartment-tower-20181101-story.html#nt=oft03a-1la1

image.png.d7ef13bb771c7dd4719c1882198c471e.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer added 10th floor to align with Bank of America section height.  The apartments would be built around a 9,223-square-foot courtyard. The ground floor would contain the rest of the amenities, including a fitness center, bike storage room and pet spa -- but no retail. However, in this location, city requires that at least half of the street-frontage of the building allow for active commercial uses, including dining, retail and personal services.

I must have missed this one.  What is the name of this project and is it supposed to go to the south of BOA?

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 9:10 PM, DreS0803 said:

Looks like OBJ is reporting BOA is on the move 

Rumor: BOA may move into SunTrust Center in downtown Orlando

It would be a major move for the bank, located inside its eponymous Bank of America Center at 390 N. Orange Ave., to enter the 30-story SunTrust Center, the region's largest multitenant office building. No new tenants have been announced to backfill the space in the SunTrust Center, as Atlanta-based SunTrust Banks Inc. (NYSE: STI) is moving its Orlando headquarters in August 2019 into the $125 million, 28-story SunTrust Plaza at Church Street Station being built by Lincoln Property Co.

The broker who handles leasing at SunTrust Center, John Gilbert, managing director at JLL, also said he couldn’t comment on “any of the leasing prospects.” But he said he hopes to share some “exciting” news by the end of the year.

Bank of America makes sense for the SunTrust space, said Jeff Sweeney, senior director with Cushman & Wakefield (NYSE: CWK). The bank's current downtown lease is ending soon, and a move into the SunTrust Center would mean occupying a more iconic location than its current space because the SunTrust tower is in the heart of the central business district. Bank of America has been in its current space for about two decades and it’s “time for a re-do,” Sweeney said.

Robbie McEwan, senior director of HFF in Orlando, agreed. One of the biggest reasons the move makes sense: The infrastructure to support a bank tenant is already in place at SunTrust Center. Plus, it's not surprising if Bank of America would want to move, as tenants tend to regularly trade spaces in buildings downtown to get better deals.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/09/19/rumor-boa-may-move-into-suntrust-center-in.html

Well at least I would have another reason to leave Bank of America 

OBJ has confirmed that Bank of America is moving to 300 S Orange Ave on the corner of South and Orange.   Other major tenants include Shutts & Bowen and Rumberger Kirk and Caldwell.

Credit to the OBJ for being the only ones in this story even though I think they moved BoA into 3 different buildings in the course of the rumor 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jernigan said:

OBJ has confirmed that Bank of America is moving to 300 S Orange Ave on the corner of South and Orange.   Other major tenants include Shutts & Bowen and Rumberger Kirk and Caldwell.

Credit to the OBJ for being the only ones in this story even though I think they moved BoA into 3 different buildings in the course of the rumor 

Assuming that's true, it's the second major bank to move to a building shorter than the one they're leaving. How is that possible? Everyone on UP knows that height is all that matters! 

The other thing that's notable is, given the design of that building, it suggests BoA's branch will be a relatively small space like the one Chase added to Chase Plaza. It seems the days of the great banking halls are over.

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Assuming that's true, it's the second major bank to move to a building shorter than the one they're leaving. How is that possible? Everyone on UP knows that height is all that matters! 

The other thing that's notable is, given the design of that building, it suggests BoA's branch will be a relatively small space like the one Chase added to Chase Plaza. It seems the days of the great banking halls are over.

Technically speaking, yes they are moving to a significantly shorter building, but that shorter building is part of a larger parcel of buildings all associated with the taller Sun Trust Center tower.

So in effect, they're getting the cachet of a taller building that is in the real heart of downtown rather than up in the boondocks where they were, without actually being in one, and while probably paying a lower price per square foot than if they'd located in the main tower.

Win/win.