Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

In general, I have found the quality of reporting in this city to be less than stellar, although there are a couple of notable exceptions. This probably stems from growing up my household subscribing to St. Petersburg Times and the Wall Street Journal, however. (two of the most respected, awarded, and consistently excellent news sources in the world). 

In general, I disagree that a paywall and subscription model is a bad thing. The changing environment with news for free online is rapidly changing the publishing/reporting worlds and to pay for good quality reporting/reporters as a viable system, the revenue has to come from somewhere. If you don't pay for quality reporting, then it will continue to decline in a race to the bottom. I do not consider, OBJ "quality reporting" however, and do not find their product/service worth the money they are charging or agree with their general modus operandi. 

I will pay for some quality news subscriptions that I find worth it. It's all a balance of providing quality content, providing some free content that everyone should have access to, and charging a reasonable amount for more exclusive or premium content. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

In general, I have found the quality of reporting in this city to be less than stellar, although there are a couple of notable exceptions. This probably stems from growing up my household subscribing to St. Petersburg Times and the Wall Street Journal, however. (two of the most respected, awarded, and consistently excellent news sources in the world). 

In general, I disagree that a paywall and subscription model is a bad thing. The changing environment with news for free online is rapidly changing the publishing/reporting worlds and to pay for good quality reporting/reporters as a viable system, the revenue has to come from somewhere. If you don't pay for quality reporting, then it will continue to decline in a race to the bottom. I do not consider, OBJ "quality reporting" however, and do not find their product/service worth the money they are charging or agree with their general modus operandi. 

I will pay for some quality news subscriptions that I find worth it. It's all a balance of providing quality content, providing some free content that everyone should have access to, and charging a reasonable amount for more exclusive or premium content. 

Tell it, Brother dcluley!

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Although I disagree with the editorial stance of the owners, some of the other Business Journals they own are pretty reputable on the news side. I’m not sure how ours got so sloppy in its reporting.

...and they also do not edit for typos and punctuation.  I've seen so many examples of this it makes me want to hurl.

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

...and I think that was exactly Orange87's point...that you have to pay and you STILL get poor quality reporting...

• Like 1

Glen Gentele's, Director and CEO of OMA's statement:

"We are exploring the viability of bringing a world-class, iconic museum of art that a city like Orlando, the most visited city in all of America, deserves. We are nascent in our pursuit of this dream in anticipation of our centennial birthday in 2024. This initiative, and several others, are part of an ambitious vision developed by our board within a strategic plan known as Forward to 100. For nearly three years, at OMA’s request, Tavistock has graciously worked with us to help identify a new location for the museum. An exhaustive search entailed reviewing more than 20 sites within the city of Orlando. Unfortunately, no viable sites resulted, and the project had come to a standstill. It was at this time that we approached Tavistock about entertaining possibilities within Lake Nona. After exploring a number of locations, the possibility of situating the museum proximate to the airport with great access and visibility, with plenty of room to grow, is intriguing. Tavistock and the Lewis Family’s eminent standing in the art world is also synergistic to the cause and would make for a compelling collaboration."

With all the land out there, if Lake Nona wants a museum, I’d be happy for them to create a space for the Morse neon collection.

Meanwhile, OMA’s building has supposedly run out of space (although it has the option to add another floor).

Given that Loch Haven Park seems to have plenty of land available, I’m not sure why expansion isn’t a possibility.

With all the development going on in the Ivanhoe corridor, College Park and plans for AdventHealth development along N. Orange, Loch Haven is going to be more important and more accessible to more folks than ever.

1 minute ago, Jernigan said:

Glen Gentele's, Director and CEO of OMA's statement:

"We are exploring the viability of bringing a world-class, iconic museum of art that a city like Orlando, the most visited city in all of America, deserves. We are nascent in our pursuit of this dream in anticipation of our centennial birthday in 2024. This initiative, and several others, are part of an ambitious vision developed by our board within a strategic plan known as Forward to 100. For nearly three years, at OMA’s request, Tavistock has graciously worked with us to help identify a new location for the museum. An exhaustive search entailed reviewing more than 20 sites within the city of Orlando. Unfortunately, no viable sites resulted, and the project had come to a standstill. It was at this time that we approached Tavistock about entertaining possibilities within Lake Nona. After exploring a number of locations, the possibility of situating the museum proximate to the airport with great access and visibility, with plenty of room to grow, is intriguing. Tavistock and the Lewis Family’s eminent standing in the art world is also synergistic to the cause and would make for a compelling collaboration."

Read: “We want the money.” I understand it will be hard to turn down, especially for an exec from outside the community looking to make a name for himself, but frankly it’s absurd.

I’ve championed Lake Nona for lots of things but that’s not the spot for our primary visual arts institution.

. . . Or they are smart and are going to use this as leverage to shame other local large arts donors to pony up money to put it downtown (likely). If the Director was smart (likely), that is actually what he is doing with this release of news and the diplomatic, but non-denial response. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

. . . Or they are smart and are going to use this as leverage to shame other local large arts donors to pony up money to put it downtown (likely). If the Director was smart (likely), that is actually what he is doing with this release of news and the diplomatic, but non-denial response. 

I hope you're right.  A Lake Nona location is absurd.

3 hours ago, sunshine said:

Instead of asking for Orlando Museum of Arts... he can build an outdoor museum himself with so much land out there like the Vigeland park.

I do not even go to OMA in Orlando and sure would not drive to Lake Nona to visit it.  It is a terrible museum.

How long has it been since you've visited. Under Gentele's leaderiship, and with Mulford and Gleyzon curating, the programming has improved significantly over the last 4 years. Especially the Florida Prize Show in June, and the traveling exhibits across the board.  It was pretty terrible about 10 years ago. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, smonteserin said:

How long has it been since you've visited. Under Gentele's leaderiship, and with Mulford and Gleyzon curating, the programming has improved significantly over the last 4 years. Especially the Florida Prize Show in June, and the traveling exhibits across the board.  It was pretty terrible about 10 years ago. 

One of these days, sunshine is going to tell us what he actually LIKES about Orlando. It’s been 12 years and I’m anxiously waiting... but that’s our sunshine!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

With all the land out there, if Lake Nona wants a museum, I’d be happy for them to create a space for the Morse neon collection.

Meanwhile, OMA’s building has supposedly run out of space (although it has the option to add another floor).

Given that Loch Haven Park seems to have plenty of land available, I’m not sure why expansion isn’t a possibility.

With all the development going on in the Ivanhoe corridor, College Park and plans for AdventHealth development along N. Orange, Loch Haven is going to be more important and more accessible to more folks than ever.

Read: “We want the money.” I understand it will be hard to turn down, especially for an exec from outside the community looking to make a name for himself, but frankly it’s absurd.

I’ve championed Lake Nona for lots of things but that’s not the spot for our primary visual arts institution.

If they move out to Lake Nona, what would be the plan for the existing building? While I think having an art/museum district congregated in Loch Haven is desirable and this would be a loss for that area and I'd prefer an expansion/new building at or near the current site, I think Lake Nona is worthy of a museum. I remain with my belief the area is poised to become a new/modern version of Winter Park in the next decade.

1 minute ago, aent said:

If they move out to Lake Nona, what would be the plan for the existing building? While I think having an art/museum district congregated in Loch Haven is desirable and this would be a loss for that area and I'd prefer an expansion/new building at or near the current site, I think Lake Nona is worthy of a museum. I remain with my belief the area is poised to become a new/modern version of Winter Park in the next decade.

That’s an excellent question and one I don’t have a clue about. I’ve been trying to think of arts organizations that could use space like that but didn’t come up with anything.

I suppose you could subdivide and a number of smaller arts groups could use it for different purposes.

I really hope it doesn’t happen, though. Orlando’s already got a stigma about being an endless suburb and having our major arts facility that far out would certainly feed the notion.

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

One of these days, sunshine is going to tell us what he actually LIKES about Orlando. It’s been 12 years and I’m anxiously waiting... but that’s our sunshine!

I'm fairly sure I saw Sunshine write an Orlando-neutral post once.  Like a "it is ok, but not too great" type post.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

A certain disaffected poster, now holding up the SSC sub forum, asks the legitimate question, with office vacancy at a national low, why isn’t Orlando seeing more office construction ?

Off topic, but s/he is literally in an echo chamber now. There are whole multi page threads on SSC with just his/her posts. It’s a bit off putting to be honest.

Taco Bell Cantina — a subsidiary of Louisville, Ky.-based Yum! Brands Inc. (NYSE: YUM) — has inked a 2,475-square-foot lease for a new location on the ground floor of One South Orange in downtown Orlando. The new tenant signing comes as the building's landlord One Orange Development LLC plans to do a $1.5 million ground-floor renovation of the building's 6,500 square feet of street-level space. Taco Bell Cantina will open fall 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/01/28/its-official-booze-serving-taco-bell-cantina-inks.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_OR&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c4f665104d301234bba4aeb&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

• Like 4

So just when we think we get full taco saturation downtown, a Taco Bell Cantina and a Tijuana Flats open diagonal from each other.

Can we call that the first official return to chain restaurants to Downtown Orlando?  Or will Pita Pit and Jimmy John's hold that designation?

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2