Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

Trolley's don't help out either because they have to be on the same road as Cars and this isn't San Fransico.

Well sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. New Orleans also uses trolleys and they generally share traffic lanes also. However trolleys can carry more people that your average car and can operate on efficent electrical motors instead of ICE's that convert gas into a little power and a lot of heat.

^^

that's b/c it is. nothing like a brand new interchange to change peoples' perception of a city or region. everytime I drive back to town from the TNPK I am slightly in awe at the 429 interchange. soon (couple of years) the TNPK will be 8 lanes from there to Fla. Mall. It's already 8 lanes from I-4 south a bit on the TNPK; I noticed the other day driving over Oakridge bridge. pretty impressive.

408 interchange will be big. 408 is so much bigger now in both directions...

144749.jpg

"The dust is beginning to clear in downtown Orlando. If you have attended or hosted any functions at the Church Street Ballroom in the last year, you have seen the changes taking place along Garland Avenue between South Street and Church Street. The sidewalk has been widened, more north bound lanes have been added, drainage has been improved, and fresh sod has been planted. Along this section of Garland Avenue more trees will be planted before the project is complete and the one final layer of asphalt will be put down. Later this year, the new eastbound I-4 exit ramp will bring traffic directly to the intersection of Garland Avenue and South Street, making this a new gateway into Orlando."

144749.jpg

"The dust is beginning to clear in downtown Orlando. If you have attended or hosted any functions at the Church Street Ballroom in the last year, you have seen the changes taking place along Garland Avenue between South Street and Church Street. The sidewalk has been widened, more north bound lanes have been added, drainage has been improved, and fresh sod has been planted. Along this section of Garland Avenue more trees will be planted before the project is complete and the one final layer of asphalt will be put down. Later this year, the new eastbound I-4 exit ramp will bring traffic directly to the intersection of Garland Avenue and South Street, making this a new gateway into Orlando."

I like the improvements but isn't this where the new Hilton is supposed to go downtown. Why put in new sidewalks if it is just going to be torn up again? Seems like such a monetary waste to see things done up only to be torn up! Does the left hand not talk to the right?

I like the improvements but isn't this where the new Hilton is supposed to go downtown. Why put in new sidewalks if it is just going to be torn up again? Seems like such a monetary waste to see things done up only to be torn up! Does the left hand not talk to the right?

FDOT and the City are wise enough in this case not to hold their collective breaths. Although I think the Hilton is a great project, we have talked many times on here about all the projects announced downtown that never happened. Assuming the Hilton does get built, it could easily be three years or more before it opens. As we know, the current shape of Church Street is killing businesses down there. I suspect the folks, especially at the Presidential Ballroom, would be screaming to high heavens if they just left Garland undone until then (if you were having a wedding or whatever, would you want to be traipsing around in the dirt?). So, in this case, I don't think they had much choice. My guess also is that, when the Hilton is built, the developers will be responsible for repairing the sidewalks they damage so that will be a private, not public, responsibility, although I defer to our construction gurus on that.

FDOT and the City are wise enough in this case not to hold their collective breaths. Although I think the Hilton is a great project, we have talked many times on here about all the projects announced downtown that never happened. Assuming the Hilton does get built, it could easily be three years or more before it opens. As we know, the current shape of Church Street is killing businesses down there. I suspect the folks, especially at the Presidential Ballroom, would be screaming to high heavens if they just left Garland undone until then (if you were having a wedding or whatever, would you want to be traipsing around in the dirt?). So, in this case, I don't think they had much choice. My guess also is that, when the Hilton is built, the developers will be responsible for repairing the sidewalks they damage so that will be a private, not public, responsibility, although I defer to our construction gurus on that.

That's pretty much it. FDOT doesn't usually omit construction because of somthing else going in sometime in the future. Plus the contractor may try to argue that FDOT never intended to put a sidewalk in so why should they. Another example on the other side, they are finishing Hughey, but I imagine the arena is goin in and tearing that place right up again.

That's pretty much it. FDOT doesn't usually omit construction because of somthing else going in sometime in the future. Plus the contractor may try to argue that FDOT never intended to put a sidewalk in so why should they. Another example on the other side, they are finishing Hughey, but I imagine the arena is goin in and tearing that place right up again.

Yeah, and it's an ADA issue anyway. The access needs to be added when the street is upgraded. It's like not putting an elevator in a 3 story building because there are plans to increase it to 5 stories later.

Sidewalk doesn't cost much, indeed the Hilton will pay to replace whatever they damage.

That's ok since there's no guardrail there to bump into.

Someone wrote into the Orlando Sentinel's Road Warrior about this a few weeks ago and the highway department's response was, if people travel the speed limit, they will have no problem navigating through the curve. About time someone stands up for personal responsibility.