Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

One of the excuses used over the years for more companies not relocating downtown has supposedly been the lack of contiguous space for firms to move in.

One assumes this should remedy that problem to some extent. I assume that means those firms wanted a turnkey operation instead of waiting for new buildings

We should also discover if that’s exactly what it’s been all along, just an excuse.

Edited by spenser1058

There is not necessarily a dearth of co-working options in Downtown.

There are already quite a few: Industrious, Catalyst, Colab, Hub 925, ScribbleSpace, Canvs, StarterStudios, VentureX, Credo, Serendipity Labs, Workplace 260, etc, etc. . . 

The big difference here is that it is contiguous floorspace in the tallest building.  That is different than the other smaller locations, for sure, and may attract different type of potential tenancy. 

22 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

There is not necessarily a dearth of co-working options in Downtown.

There are already quite a few: Industrious, Catalyst, Colab, Hub 925, ScribbleSpace, Canvs, StarterStudios, VentureX, Credo, Serendipity Labs, Workplace 260, etc, etc. . . 

The big difference here is that it is contiguous floorspace in the tallest building.  That is different than the other smaller locations, for sure, and may attract different type of potential tenancy. 

Sorry, I was talking more about traditional firms. We’ve often been told they ended up in places like Maitland Center due to lack of contiguous space. (I also think there are a lot of people relocating to the area who are concerned about good schools, free parking and, heck, just like the ‘burbs.

You’re right that co-working spaces seem to be popping up all over downtown.

I’m particularly interested to see what becomes of the Ivey’s space.

Edited by spenser1058

Yeah, there is still room for other space in the "old" SunTrust building. According to previous articles, SunTrust vacated 125,000 SF total in the tall building and 125,000 SF in the shorter adjacent building (that I think BOA is moving into). 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/06/11/confirmed-suntrust-to-move-its-orlando-hq-to-the.html

So there would still be about 50,000 SF of contiguous space left-over in the main tower for other companies to move in. 

Another co-working space E | Spaces was supposed to be one of the tenants of CSP as well, with 28,000 SF. 

All this musical chairs is getting a bit confusing, haha.  (And I haven't even mentioned the fact that SunTrust will no longer be SunTrust now that they merged with BB&T). 

Does your head hurt yet? 

• Haha 2

The developer for the WeWork finish is Piedmont, and Gensler is the architect. (very high-end signature architect). 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/01/17/exclusive-see-the-10m-renovations-planned-for.html

Changes to the SunTrust Center tower — which will be called 200 South Orange Avenue starting in fourth-quarter 2019 — are expected to include:

• Digital and lighting art, new carpet in select areas and new seating options in the building's great hall
  • A food hall or other food tenants with potential awnings and outside seating along Church Street
  • New seating options and possibly some gaming opportunities, such as foosball, in the park
  • A state-of-the-art lighting experience at the top of the building that could change colors
  • A rooftop deck on the north end of the park with a level connecting to the third floor and another connecting to the fourth floor. The fourth floor, upper level will be exclusive to the tenant who backfills a substantial amount of SunTrust space.

The renovations are expected to start this summer and wrap up in early 2020.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

OBJ writes that Thornton Commons LLC is selling their parcel at 550 Mariposa - the old Eola Place project that never took off in 2007.

I always thought this parcel was the Phase 2 for 520 Church Street but I guess not.

I'm pretty sure there's ARB approval for this third phase included with the ARB approval for the 520 project.  Hopefully, the buyer is serious and will build something soon.  Does anyone have any additional info about this?

On 3/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, dcluley98 said:

I have heard report of 78,000 SF of "Class A" office space. They are looking for interior renovation contractors to spruce up the space. WeWork is known for high-end finishes and co-working space. It should be interesting when fit-out. 

Hmm not always.  Here in Charlotte one location is in a new building they did some wood floors and it looks great.  In another 1990s building they did bare concrete floors and spartan decor.  The other ones I have seen all vary in look from very modern to very traditional so who knows what they will do.   I think WeWork will do good in Orlando and I only wonder what took them so long to open there and Tampa.  

• Like 3

From what I have seen of the plans, they will showcase part of it. There are plans for a 2-floor terrace deck overlooking the interior courtyard and a food-hall. The lower floors, at least, will be more of a showcase/playground and the other space maybe more office oriented. It will be an improvement and an activation for the area as long as there are tenants moving back in, however. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

So what's funny is when these came online early on, the billboards along the highway and the one at the Plaza at Orange Ave  or the Amway Center were required to show only static images and could only transition cleanly.   The thought process was any animation would distract the drivers on the road. The exception I recall was Channel 13's news one, but that wasn't facing traffic.  Clearly someone at WESH didn't get that same memo because theirs has animation and video on it.  At one point showing video explosions to promote one of the CW's disaster shows.   I wonder if they're gonna have the same thing here.   

Edited by codypet

• 2 weeks later...