Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

1 minute ago, HankStrong said:

Serious question, if people are eating the meat wouldn't you prefer the whole animal be used in an appropriate fashion?  For fashion!  I kill me!  (sorry the pun wasn't serious, but too good to pass up)

Now, if everyone stopped eating meat, then the problem becomes a different one.  The whole world becoming vegetarian isn't likely in the near future, so I'm very pro using the entire animal and wasting as little as possible.

Yep- if you’re slaughtering the cow or the pig, don’t waste anything. Waste not, want not!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I'm a big fan of leather and understand where it comes from, but leather primarily comes from food animals.  I see that, personally, as a circle of life thing where as much of the animal is used as possible.

Furs?  Yeah, I don't get that.  I find anti-fur protesters annoying because the fur will be replaced by another fur, which just worsens the cause???? But furs usually come from animals that are not part of the food chain.

----------------

Serious question, if people are eating the meat wouldn't you prefer the whole animal be used in an appropriate fashion?  For fashion!  I kill me!  (sorry the pun wasn't serious, but too good to pass up)

Now, if everyone stopped eating meat, then the problem becomes a different one.  The whole world becoming vegetarian isn't likely in the near future, so I'm very pro using the entire animal and wasting as little as possible.

Exactly my feelings.

Using animals for food, as much as we might wish we didn't, at least has a legitimate purpose.

Raising animals then slaughtering them for their skin and fur just so the wives and girlfriends of wealthy men can feel glamorous and pampered is disgusting and shameful.

And sadly, not surprising.

Ranks right up there with slaughtering elephants and hippos for their tusks etc, etc. Trophy hunting just to get a head to mount on a wall.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Has anyone seen the old Merita style sign at the top of the LaBelle building in some of the historic Orlando photos?

It was still on the building up until just a few years ago.

I think it's now in storage with the rest of Orlando's old historic lighted signs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Then, as omnivores and herbivores, we have common beliefs on this part of the subject.  Good, good.  Vanity furs, we also agree on.

I suppose if someone eats rabbits or raccoons or another animal that I feel the same if they use the pelts for things.  Although, admittedly, I don't actually know anyone that does in 2019.  It is still in the realm of reason that it happens.

However, just raising minks & foxes & whatever to kill them for the fur is definitely disgusting to me, too.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Then, as omnivores and herbivores, we have common beliefs on this part of the subject.  Good, good.  Vanity furs, we also agree on.

I suppose if someone eats rabbits or raccoons or another animal that I feel the same if they use the pelts for things.  Although, admittedly, I don't actually know anyone that does in 2019.  It is still in the realm of reason that it happens.

However, just raising minks & foxes & whatever to kill them for the fur is definitely disgusting to me, too.

I read somewhere that the whole notion of bubbas in the backwoods eating squirrels, opossums and raccoons is mostly obsolete because they can eat more cheaply from the 2 for $2 menu at the local fast foodery  than the time, gas, ammunition cost, etc to go hunting.

Of course, the nutritional value of eating mystery meat at Taco Bell and the like every day is another question entirely.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Serious question, if people are eating the meat wouldn't you prefer the whole animal be used in an appropriate fashion?  For fashion!  I kill me!  (sorry the pun wasn't serious, but too good to pass up)

Now, if everyone stopped eating meat, then the problem becomes a different one.  The whole world becoming vegetarian isn't likely in the near future, so I'm very pro using the entire animal and wasting as little as possible.

Gotta agree as well. I'm so disappointed that many animal activists convinced car companies to use less leather and switch to "plastic" leather which seems to not last as long, and is no better for the environment. The reason most leather is dyed a completely solid black/gray/beige is because the animals are being primarily raised for food (and often in fields with barbed wire fences that scratch/scar the animals), it is insufficient quality to use with a less extreme dying process.

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I'm very pro using the entire animal and wasting as little as possible.

I highly recommend you try Orlando Meats- next door to Santiago's. They get the entire animal in and break it down to produce meat cuts and great bone broth (they have the best ramen broth in town). You can buy chicken feet, chicken heads, broth bones, dog food... pretty much anything excluding the fur. Also named the best burger in town in several competitions.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I highly recommend you try Orlando Meats- next door to Santiago's. They get the entire animal in and break it down to produce meat cuts and great bone broth (they have the best ramen broth in town). You can buy chicken feet, chicken heads, broth bones, dog food... pretty much anything excluding the fur. Also named the best burger in town in several competitions.

You aren't telling me anything I don't know.  Longtime customer.

I found them 5 or 6 years ago down on Goldenrod.  Hooked!

Anybody know what is going on Colonial south side just west of Hampton in between the Dollar Tree and Lily's bridal? Drove by today and they had the parking lot torn up with mounds of fill dirt on site. Tried to get a pic from the light, but it was a crap angle: 

Untitled-1.jpg

20190509_174116.jpg

4 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Anybody know what is going on Colonial south side just west of Hampton in between the Dollar Tree and Lily's bridal? Drove by today and they had the parking lot torn up with mounds of fill dirt on site. Tried to get a pic from the light, but it was a crap angle: imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370

Untitled-1.jpg

20190509_174116.jpg

That was, for a brief minute, floated as the ever-changing peripatetic site of Benihana. Maybe it’s back!?!

Bring back Piccadilly!

Thanks guys!  Cool that the project is starting.  It is a new headquarters that is committed to central Florida and will be bringing some new jobs with it. The guys running it sound like decent businessmen. 
When I had to drive to Jacksonville to pick up my bike, I ate at Bento location there, lol. They are really expanding!  

Here's another article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/01/17/bento-group-to-build-orlando-hq-expand-bento-cafe.html

The plans are to lease a new 10,000-square-foot space, which has yet to be built. The landlord is Tuan-Chau Colonial LLC and the general contractor is to be determined, Tung said. That building will serve as a 3,000-square-foot corporate headquarters; a 3,000-square foot catering facility with a test kitchen and training space; and a 3,500-square-foot Bento Cafe flagship location.

"We are centralizing management so that we can streamline our operations to provide a consistent product and quality experience for our fan base with the new headquarters not only [being] centrally located in Orlando, but centrally located in Florida [too]," said Jimmy.

There are currently 30 employees in Bento Group and 500-plus employees total. Tung said the new building would create about 20 jobs for the catering division, 20 for the headquarters and 80 for the Bento Cafe restaurant.

"I want to contribute more to the Orlando foodie scene. Because we are building our headquarters here, this is going to be our home, and instead of doing the 50th Vietnamese restaurant in Orlando, I want something new," Tung said. "That's why it was important for us to create Sticky Rice. We want to continue to experiment and get smaller places for these concepts so it's less overhead costs. These are not our bread and butter, but we are very lucky to do these side concepts and advance the foodie scene."

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

Not sure if this is new info or not, but this post by the OBJ yesterday mentions when the Sentinel’s lease expires at 633 N Orange (2023), and also that the property owner doesn’t plan on leasing out any additional space in the buildings. The rest is behind the paywall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/05/10/heres-when-the-orlando-sentinels-lease-expires.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Not sure if this is new info or not, but this post by the OBJ yesterday mentions when the Sentinel’s lease expires at 633 N Orange (2023), and also that the property owner doesn’t plan on leasing out any additional space in the buildings. The rest is behind the paywall.

I was reading that over the weekend and was struck by 2 things... the newspaper's campus is 18 acres and there are only 3 locations in all of the region with 50,000 contiguous square feet.

At 18 acres I believe that makes it about 30 % larger than SoDo. I know everyone would like to see a big, beautiful high-rise on this spot, but a well done mixed use like SoDo would also fit well.

If they are indeed not renting the space then there are only 2 locations with 50,000 feet available, which makes me wonder why more builders are not building more office space. Also, if they are no longer renting I believe it guarantees they are going to demo the property after the current lease ends (2023).

On the other side of Orange Av I read Garber Communities bought the old United Trophy business and building (610 N. Orange) from the family of local hero Syd Levy. Garber is the same firm that restored State Auto in WP and their plan, in a few years, is to do the same here.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/grs-downtown-orlando-s-united-trophy-building-sells-and-is-up-for-a-major-restoration-20190412-story.html

With a restored Firestone and United trophy, plus what ever gets built on the OS property, this block could look very nice in a few years.

• Like 2

Brendan has a fantastic interview with retiring city planning manager Dean Grandin. The podcast is 20 minutes and towards the end they talk briefly about some of the projects of most interest here in UP, including:

• VMC - “great design but not sure how feasible it is..”

• Magic Entertainment Complex - “it probably needs to be larger...”

• The Yard, Phase 2 - “it may not happen, but development in the area will continue and change the neighborhood...”

• Cambria Suites - “we haven’t heard anything since the plans were approved...”

I also liked the discussion of the Bartholomew Plan which strives to keep Orlando’s lakefronts public where places like WP and Windermere allow them to be swallowed up and only accessible via private backyards.

If you ever wondered about the interest of the Bungalower folks regarding substantive projects and not just fluff, this interview shows an awareness of the same hot buttons we discuss at UP all the time.

https://bungalower.com/2019/05/12/sit-down-dean-grandin-city-of-orlando-city-planning-division-manager/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

If you ever wondered about the interest of the Bungalower folks regarding substantive projects and not just fluff, this interview shows an awareness of the same hot buttons we discuss at UP all the time.

https://bungalower.com/2019/05/12/sit-down-dean-grandin-city-of-orlando-city-planning-division-manager/

"Hint, hint, Henry!"

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

• VMC - “great design but not sure how feasible it is..”

it.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DreS0803 said:

What’s happening there?

Net Conversion has renovated the building for their new office.  They are temporarily in the brick building at Jefferson and the tracks but were previously in the Cornerstone office building and before that were on South Orange.

• Thanks 1

Downtown information center prepares to reopen as ‘Discover Downtown.

“All the retail that will be featured here is locally generated. It’s by local vendors, local companies, local creators, local artists. It’s all local," Downtown Development Board Director Thomas Chatmon said. “We anticipate in the future as using this retail also as the official city store, if you will.”

Corner of Church and Orange. Opens Monday.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-downtown-information-center-20190518-fdpftlguqnhj3jwy3q3vuraulm-story.html

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Wonder why the retail is “in the future” they already have it staffed...and the stuff in there would be all markup.

My interpretation is that the retail will be live when the space opens (thus the photo of someone stocking tee shirts), and will - in the future - grow to be seen as the official city store.  It's poorly worded. 

• Like 1