Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

16 hours ago, Dale said:

Lagging or heating up ? Do you WANT to have a recession ?

Lagging. I don’t think I said that. I was emphasizing that because it’s lagging it’s bad practice to use it to show what the current status of any economy is.  We may still be in one, but just looking at the facts I was responding to we wouldn’t know.

7 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

Lagging. I don’t think I said that. I was emphasizing that because it’s lagging it’s bad practice to use it to show what the current status of any economy is.  We may still be in one, but just looking at the facts I was responding to we wouldn’t know.

What the reports never account for is the apocalyptic impulse almost peculiar to Americans.

Even Dale’s Friends over on FOX News are abandoning his “what, me worry?” position.

The gold bugs (who tend to lean right) see gold moving up to $2K by year’s end. Gold normally increases during times of perceived economic instability.

Meanwhile, Reality over at SSC is predicting doom for Orlando, a sentiment I don’t really share, Thanks to investments in the theme parks and other infrastructure like I4, I think locally we may get by with a relatively mild hit this time, unlike 2008, barring some catastrophic financial stupidity.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/08/gold-prices-could-reach-2000-by-the-end-of-the-year-strategist.html

From CNBC

Edited by spenser1058

I have an office is one of the WeWork buildings in Charlotte and its fantastic!  Excited to be able to use it in and possibly expand in Orlando at some point.  They have beautiful open spaces, daily social activities, beer/wine/coffee/cold brew... you name it.  Very well thought out with collaboration amongst tenants in mind.  Overall it will be a great addition to the city and will actually put some small businesses (more working people) downtown that wouldn't typically pick that location.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

There just aren't that many people in Orlando who need coworking type space. WeWork will survive because of their massive cash backing but these smaller ones in Orlando are in real trouble.

I'm not so sure. Lots of really decrepit office parks all around Orlando, in sketchy far flung areas, where they couldn't pay me to put my office. Being in downtown is where you will want to be in my view. I am not sure you understanding, there is a big bet in downtown right now, it's a multi billion dollar bet. If you are bearish on small businesses coming to downtown then I am not sure what to say. Wework offers individual private offices, not just open spaces for co-working. 

Edited by Jvest55

It works well for professionals doing contract work, tied to a project or perhaps a court case, etc.   Types that wouldn’t want to work out of a StarterStudio or Catalyst alongside freelancers.   Industrious pulls off the high end coworking space as well.

Its all an interesting shift for leasing agents. Essentially allowing space to be subleased.   

I tried to find a forum for this townhouse development being built, but struggled to find it, if it even exists.  Feel free to move it!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/621-E-Pine-St-Orlando-FL-32801/156772266_zpid/

$950,000 3 bd -4 ba - 2,644 sqft

621 E Pine St, Orlando, FL 32801

"Under Construction. Introducing The Olive Townhomes... an exciting new luxury development in the heart of Downtown Orlando's Thornton Park. Featuring eight exclusive townhomes. This luxury development is only one block away from beautiful Lake Eola. Walk to everything: shopping, the Lake Eola Farmer's Market, dozens of top-rated restaurants like Shari, Odum and The Stubborn Mule, cultural venues such as The Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts and the Amway Center (home of the Orlando Magic) and so much more. With a magnet school and the Lake Highland Preparatory School nearby, you simply can't live closer to perfection. Each unit features an open floor plan with high-end finishes, a rooftop terrace, and scenic balconies. Choose from 3 or 4 bedroom floorplans, both with 3½ baths and a 2 car garage. Each unit has been custom-designed with unique finishes. Design Packets available upon request. Floor plan (interior unit) included in attachments. Live a low maintenance lifestyle without the hassle of a large, high-rise condo building. Schedule an appointment today to meet at the construction site to review plans! Estimated project completion: Jan/Feb 2020."

Hey I hope I'm off with my view of # of freelancers we have in town. Seems everyone else sees it so I'm going to assume I'm wrong.

I can confidently say in the themed entertainment industry, project-based employees, freelancers, and contractors are more the norm than staff positions. And not all of them work down in the attractions area. [emoji106]

1 hour ago, orlandoguy said:

I can confidently say in the themed entertainment industry, project-based employees, freelancers, and contractors are more the norm than staff positions. And not all of them work down in the attractions area. emoji106.png

I used to work in the design dept of an exhibit company that was located in the 33rd St Industrial Park prior to moving to Orlando Central Park. Even though we had our own design staff, we still used freelancers occasionally. This was back in the 90's. 

It's a lot of small businesses too - if you've got 3 staff and might grow to 6 in 6 months and 15 in a year, somewhere like this can make more sense than having to worry about your own lease, cleaning, staff lounge, furnishings, etc. - you can focus on your business. 

• Like 1

From Growthspotter. The AECOM building at 150 N. Orange has sold going to be renovated... again.  The company behind it is Third & Urban out of Atlanta and this type project is right up their alley. I've seen the Denham Bldg and White Provisions and they were really nicely done. View here- https://thirdandurban.com/#our-work

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-north-orange-avenue-office-building-renovation-20190718-7zgppuwiffay3pyf4yuehu6amq-story.html

Also, Mark B is reporting the Mills 7-11 near Park Lake is under contract. I was surprised to see that building is over 13,000 sq feet. Mills is a terrible walking district, but dang they have some great restaurants and bars. Any bets on what goes into the space...?

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/mills50-7-11-under-contract

• Like 2