Jump to content

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion


sunshine

Recommended Posts


47 minutes ago, ucfpatriot18 said:

New proposed tower by Citi Tower Developer. 

338F92F2-EFF1-4A0F-BBE1-1D99023B8DFE.jpeg

C523C232-14EC-4BE3-A2DF-F159549C8E75.jpeg

Trigger Warning!!! Speculation ahead. Let's not get all worked up here, but we can be hopeful...

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-new-downtown-towers-20190801-xlburgukvjakhhqr3scvgcx3li-story.html

385 feet, 121 room hotel, spa, meeting space, condos, lions tigers, bears, oh my!!! Code name "Summit Radisson". 

The article also discusses a proposal in Parramore district and the lot directly behind DPAC.

BTW, if we score a Radisson Collection here (1st is US I think) it would be amazing.

Edited by AmIReal
added
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, If 520 ever finishes and this and CNL III ever happen South Eola will be all growns up'ed. 

That looks like a great proposal from Radisson. I sure hope the good proposals popping up soon shake out the dreck that was proposed elsewhere and maybe light a fire under MEC's ass to not get beaten to the market before the music stops. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Trigger Warning!!! Speculation ahead. Let's not get all worked up here, but we can be hopeful...

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-new-downtown-towers-20190801-xlburgukvjakhhqr3scvgcx3li-story.html

385 feet, 121 room hotel, spa, meeting space, condos, lions tigers, bears, oh my!!! Code name "Summit Radisson". 

The article also discusses a proposal in Parramore district and the lot directly behind DPAC.

BTW, if we score a Radisson Collection here (1st is US I think) it would be amazing.

385ft in that area seems a bit out of pocket. 

I'd happily welcome it. 

Also, lodging in this area could boost street business as well as have stunning views if it is that tall. 

 

I'd really like this to move forward if legs are real. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that Central Ave is essentially (and successfully) built out, I do think that there is opportunity for continued development on the other streets in South Eola. 

A major hotel at this location makes a lot of sense — I’m walking distance to Lake Eola, Thornton Park, DPAC and downtown (but not being right in it).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember reading an article back after Citi Tower was first completed, with the Developers stating that they plan to build another tower downtown. After the success of Citi Tower, it’s probably almost a no brainer for them. Citi Tower is probably the most expensive and least vacant apartment tower we have downtown. Fingers crossed though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ucfpatriot18 said:

New proposed tower by Citi Tower Developer. 

338F92F2-EFF1-4A0F-BBE1-1D99023B8DFE.jpeg

C523C232-14EC-4BE3-A2DF-F159549C8E75.jpeg

It's a cool building that I wish was going to be put somewhere else. I LOVE the tree canopy in Lake Eola Heights. This would take away quite a bit of it in that area. I like the healthy mix of small residences and highrises in the area. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Xander said:

It's a cool building that I wish was going to be put somewhere else. I LOVE the tree canopy in Lake Eola Heights. This would take away quite a bit of it in that area. I like the healthy mix of small residences and highrises in the area. 

Agreed. Moving this development to Washington & Rosalind would put the brise-soleil front and center on Lake Eola rather than obscuring the architecture by tucking the building away in South Eola. Cambria Suites & co have been dragging their feet on building the hotel for years... they might as well give the property to a developer who is ready to build a hotel NOW.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


40 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Agreed. Moving this development to Washington & Rosalind would put the brise-soleil front and center on Lake Eola rather than obscuring the architecture by tucking the building away in South Eola. Cambria Suites & co have been dragging their feet on building the hotel for years... they might as well give the property to a developer who is ready to build a hotel NOW.

Man, I really wish it could fit in that lot. Exactly what I was thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xander said:

It's a cool building that I wish was going to be put somewhere else. I LOVE the tree canopy in Lake Eola Heights. This would take away quite a bit of it in that area. I like the healthy mix of small residences and highrises in the area. 

Some of the larger, older trees are on the street side of the sidewalk and could possibly be saved, but there are definitely a lot of them inside the construction area that would have to come down.

Plus, amongst all the existing buildings they'd have to tear down are these two...

323echurchst.jpg

And while none of the buildings on this block are "architectural gems", destroying them (and the tree canopy) is destroying the quaint old Orlando feel of the neighborhood.

I hope it doesn't go up, but even if it doesn't, it's just a matter of time before something does. That neighborhood is doomed to become a concrete canyon eventually.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Some of the larger, older trees are on the street side of the sidewalk and could possibly be saved, but there are definitely a lot of them inside the construction area that would have to come down.

Plus, amongst all the existing buildings they'd have to tear down are these two...

323echurchst.jpg

And while none of the buildings on this block are "architectural gems", destroying them (and the tree canopy) is destroying the quaint old Orlando feel of the neighborhood.

I hope it doesn't go up, but even if it doesn't, it's just a matter of time before something does. That neighborhood is doomed to become a concrete canyon eventually.

These two buildings aren't actually a part of the assemblage.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Xander said:

It's a cool building that I wish was going to be put somewhere else. I LOVE the tree canopy in Lake Eola Heights. This would take away quite a bit of it in that area. I like the healthy mix of small residences and highrises in the area. 

New construction that's over 300 feet would further balance out the height disparity that the CBD side on Orange has over the mid rises built along the 408 corridor! Ive been here less than 10 years so from an outsider's point of view, a downtown with tall scrapers built along both major highways gives off more of a true metropolis feel and look Imo!

Edited by Musikprince
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sumstra said:

These two buildings aren't actually a part of the assemblage.

That's great to hear and I hope it's the case.

I was wondering while looking at the rendering, if there was any way the base could form a kind of L shape and go around them.

That would be awesome if it's so. :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


As I was leaving the garage at the SoDo Super Target this morning, I happened to view the SunTrust Center tower off to the north. It was a view uncongested by any of the other buildings downtown at that distance.

It occurred to me just how appropriate that was. The corporation that conceived it was arguably Orlando’s most significant  home grown company.

Just as D.C. decided no building in the District should be taller than the Washington Monument as an homage to that city’s namesake, I have to admit I like the fact our tallest building is a reminder of one of the pillars of the community that grew in our sandy soil rather than being transported from elsewhere.

The fact the state government whiffed the move to branch banking which led to not a single major Florida bank remaining under local control just emphasizes how out of touch Tallahassee is with the needs of our communities.

In any event, as SunBank executive Linton E. Allen liked to say (yep, the Eola fountain is named after him), “Build your community and you build your bank.” They certainly did.

 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2015 at 12:09 PM, nite owℓ said:

Update on the new lift station on the corner of South St and S Mills Ave (in case you were wondering about our city's sewage):

"This project consists of the reconstruction of pumping stations No. 001 & 007. These stations are on the same site and are capable of pumping to two different City of Orlando wastewater treatment plants; these Stations collect from the City of Orlando downtown sewer area. Stations were rehabed in 1984 but their equipment and controls have reached their useful life causing repairs more often to keep these stations running. These Stations were built in 1950 and structures are very old. The proposed improvements consist of total rehabilitation of these stations with the desire to combine both station into one capable of pumping to both treatment plants."

Lift stations (001, 007) just east of the masonic lodge will be "disassembled and demolished and the site re-vegetated". The old pink building next to the old lift station appears to be some kind of Medicaid building so it probably won't get demolished.

They are now in the permit approval process, but city council must first approve the future land use and zoning amendments for the new location on the corner of E South St and S Mills Ave.

1.thumb.jpg.60c1f60644d767f230fb4f137f472.thumb.jpg.073c8215da25947812d18d34206f5681649c91cb3_OldLiftStation.thumb.jpg.d

 

 

 

 

 

Just an update. Work has finally started (several months ago) on the new lift station on the corner of Mills and South... not sure what took so long, but we've known about this since 2015. Even though it's just a lift station, it will definitely help clean up that intersection. IMO, GAI really transformed the Summerlin/South intersection and I'm hoping this project will do the same for TP because that intersection has always looked a bit rough! [GMap]

Now if only the Masonic Lodge would paint & do some landscaping. :ermm:

1837287376_LiftStation.thumb.jpg.d9d606d3b36abe0e11c49f0db7fcff27.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding WeWork in Suntrust, the company filed its Form S-1 for the eventual IPO

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1533523/000119312519220499/d781982ds1.htm

If you don't like reading these things, you can just read the news

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/14/wework-releases-s-1-filing-for-ipo.html

 

Edited by Jvest55
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/12/2019 at 10:43 PM, gibby said:

That lodge needs to go.  They need to upzone the remaining three corners to encourage some kind of positive development for that intersection.

The last time I checked, those non-descript buildings just east of the lodge with the view blocking material on the chain link fence, is some kind of operations or training facility for OPD. Possibly some special branch or something.  Hence the lack of any kind of signage etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.