Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

11 hours ago, codypet said:

That chiller line route is interesting.  Up Rosalind, left on Washington for a block then up palmetto then left on Jefferson again.

Yeah, I was surprised it didn't serve DPAC and that it didn't run to CV.

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I always thought OUC's chilled water would eventually become as commonplace as NYC's steam system

That was the plan for over a decade. I don't know what stalled it- other than it must not be as cost efficient at other options.

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Yeah, I was surprised it didn't serve DPAC and that it didn't run to CV.

That was the plan for over a decade. I don't know what stalled it- other than it must not be as cost efficient at other options.

I believe Amway, City View apts, Hughes, DPAC all use OUC chilled water or have mixed HVAC components. Pg 2 shows OUC's chilled water customers (however, the list does not list condos/apts within the CBD for some reason): https://www.ouc.com/docs/customer-brochures/broc_commercial_oucooling.pdf?sfvrsn=b67bc092_0

I can see cost efficiency causing it to stall, but I wonder if seasonal usage is also a factor? I run my AC (our building is on chilled water) all year long including winter, but I'm sure the demand for air conditioning in the winter is quite low in most households. I've often wondered if the system could supply hot water to provide heating in the winter. Not sure of the feasibility of all components within the loop to handle something like that, but if more buildings were connected the cost might go down. Steam in NYC is used year round for both heating and cooling, but it also has the added benefit of being utilized for cleaning so it's probably more cost efficient due to having a larger customer base requiring it for various uses.

Edited by nite owℓ

Eyes on the Street: Cheesesteak restaurant opening downtown

https://bungalower.com/2019/09/18/eyes-on-the-street-cheesesteak-restaurant-opening-downtown/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What!!!! Not a Taco shop with beer???? How did this happend!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Dunno if this has already been posted, but they are building out the space at Central & Orange into a Taco Bell that sells alcohol.

This is big.  Yeah, that DGX in Modera is a letdown because that building should have more upper end retail, not that.

Tricon owns Taco Bell, KFC, and Pizza Hutt (among others), so they will now be directly aware of the downtown retail and food landscape, which may attract other eateries from them or from other companies taking notice.

In that same way, the DGX presence may do the same, and reinforce a trend of strong retail which may mature into higher end retail.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, jrs2 said:

Tricon owns Taco Bell, KFC, and Pizza Hutt (among others)...

...until ~2001, when they merged with/acquired Yorkshire [A&W, LJS, etc.] and became Yum Brands. Yum then sold A&W and LJS in 2010 or so. Which I suppose is why there are no more new KCF/LJS/A&W multi-brand restaurants like the one on Michigan

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

...until ~2001, when they merged with/acquired Yorkshire [A&W, LJS, etc.] and became Yum Brands. Yum then sold A&W and LJS in 2010 or so. Which I suppose is why there are no more new KCF/LJS/A&W multi-brand restaurants like the one on Michigan

As a general rule, they undid a bunch of the mixed brand stores.

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Is the other one EA sports that was announced a couple of weeks ago?

I believe the previous headlines were EA was considering the move and were in discussions with the City re: incentives. Today's announcement confirms they are making the move.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

For those that can't view it-

The move could happen as soon as 2021 and could include $9million in incentives of recaptured tax money and job dollars. CV will own the land, which is corner of Amelia and Concord and will leaseback to EA. It includes 625 space garage. EA workforce may reach 1000, but the deal requires 600.