Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Not taking away from the importance of Pulse - and glad these things are finally happening - but I’m not sure if I’d count this as a big development gamechanger for Orlando.  

Perhaps SODO if the memorial is a greenspace and includes the adjacent Window Tint company.   That would be a huge change to the area as we lack public space and green space and the tint place is an eyesore.   

The museum itself, I understand, is closer to Division.  Who knows maybe there’s a plan to connect the two and transform Kaley in between.  If it was something like that then yea that would be a game changer for downtown.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Not taking away from the importance of Pulse - and glad these things are finally happening - but I’m not sure if I’d count this as a big development gamechanger for Orlando.  

Perhaps SODO if the memorial is a greenspace and includes the adjacent Window Tint company.   That would be a huge change to the area as we lack public space and green space and the tint place is an eyesore.   

The museum itself, I understand, is closer to Division.  Who knows maybe there’s a plan to connect the two and transform Kaley in between.  If it was something like that then yea that would be a game changer for downtown.

Didn't I read the Memorial had purchased the warehouse space at the corner of Kaley and Division...? I assume that is where they plan to put it.

State of Downtown Highlights 

Here are a few things that were new to me...

> LYMMO to become autonomous vehicles eventually

> New beach party from Thornton Park with wakeboard expo and major musical acts - Orlando Hullabaloo 

> Expansion of Church Street District into Paramore 

> EA is confirmed moving to Creative Village from Maitland — 700 employees in new headquarters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I heard the window tint place isn't going to budge.

That tint place (and for that matter, the 7-Eleven that hasn’t been updated in decades) make that intersection look like something you’d expect in Orlo Vista or the more decrepit sections of Pine Hills, not one of Orlando’s more trendy ‘hoods. It’s odd to imagine those represent the “highest and best uses” for those properties.

The fact the 7-Eleven is a clone of the one at Colonial and Westmoreland speaks volumes, not to mention the fact the tint place looked more respectable as a Mobil station than it does now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I heard the window tint place isn't going to budge.

23 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I think you will find the proposed PULSE memorial and museum a big game changer for Orlando. I posted the concept designs in the SODO thread.

The window tint place is not moving, but the memorial site will be larger than the current club site.

The museum will be built on the southeast corner of Kaley and Division Street. Both sites will be connected by an upgraded Kaley Streetscape and a bus shuttle system. There will also be a memorial walk between the Pulse site and Orlando Health.

The Bank of America logo and name has gone up on their new tower location downtown (at least on the I4 side - I haven’t looked at the east side yet).

They also used the new font with all caps. That’s interesting because supposedly lower case letters are more warm and fuzzy and customer- friendly.

Meanwhile, Truist seems to be pretending it never happened (which I admit is a point in their favor).

Since I can now use the ATM at the TP 7-Eleven fee- free, I am happier than ever with Discover Bank, even if they don’t have a building. The name sure beats Truist.

Edited by spenser1058

BOA changed their corporate font to all caps about a year ago.  Unlike other companies, BoA seems to be slow at changing their branches signs.  Probably because they're close enough to the old ones?  Sounds like the Kmart or Winn-Dixie approach to signage.  Where the old signs and logos stay up despite moving to new logos years prior.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 2:53 PM, Jernigan said:

Curious that there would be a bus/shuttle running ($$$) between the two landmarks and then separately a survivors walk.   

The survivor walk will connect the memorial with Orlando Health.

A new Kaley streetscape plan is being proposed that will create quality pedestrian space between the Museum and the Memorial as well. So you could walk between the facilities or ride a bus.

Along with these 2 pedestrian projects a new $6 million dollar grade seperated bike/pedestrian trail is being built from Michigan to Gore and from Gore into the downtown urban trail (eastside of Division Street). There will also be a bike/pedestrian trail from Division to Sligh on Columbia. This will connect the Sunrail/Amtrak station on Sligh with the new bike/pedestrian infrastructure in the district. 

Columbia and Sligh will also be rebuilt with significant pedestrian/streetscape improvements.

The SODO area is going to look and function very differently by 2021/22.

All these projects will bring about $30 million in public infrastructure improvements for streets, pedestrian and bikes by 2022. These projects are just the beginning for the district.

Edited by ragerunner

58 minutes ago, ragerunner said:

The survivor walk will connect the memorial with Orlando Health.

A new Kaley streetscape plan is being proposed that will create quality pedestrian space between the Museum and the Memorial as well. So you could walk between the facilities or ride a bus.

Along with these 2 pedestrian projects a new $6 million dollar grade seperated bike/pedestrian trail is being built from Michigan to Gore and from Gore into the downtown urban trail (eastside of Division Street). There will also be a bike/pedestrian trail from Division to Sligh on Columbia. This will connect the Sunrail/Amtrak station on Sligh with the new bike/pedestrian infrastructure in the district. 

Columbia and Sligh will also be rebuilt with significant pedestrian/streetscape improvements.

The SODO area is going to look and function very differently by 2021/22.

All these projects will bring about $30 million in public infrastructure improvements for streets, pedestrian and bikes by 2022. These projects are just the beginning for the district.

All of that sounds amazing. Might I suggest you cross post in the sodo and pulse sections...

Thanks - so essentially two walks - awesome.  Again, SoDo has lacked public space for so long this is welcome.    Is the shuttle operated by the program budget or the NID?  I wonder if it could make sense for the eventual LYMMO expansion to help support the site.

Question for other fans of the permit lookup site...anyone notice that it’s not pulling complete results any more?

For example:

Search for 1 S Orange and you’ll only find one permit for Taco Bell Cantina/TB Cantina.  

Search for “Taco” or “Taco Bell” and you don’t find anything for 1 S Orange.

Search for Cantina, however, and you get all of the permits for “Taco Bell Cantina.”

I’ve tried playing with the formatting of the address but haven’t found out what’s wrong.

Another example is that the new shops at 20 N Orange don’t come up in an address search but come do come up if you search for them by name like “Mecatos.”

5 hours ago, W7edwin said:

So I had guest speaker Chris Castro  [the Director of Sustainability with the City of Orlando] speak at my Environmental Issues class today. Not sure if this is the best thread to place this so sorry in advance, but he spoke about a lot of general things, this is what I could get noted down:

There are 1,500 people moving in a week; there are 1 resident to every 255 tourist each year

City wants to go beyond and reduce 90% emissions by 2040
----------

In Orlando, buildings contribute the most to emissions; transportation is only 25% of the overall, ironically.

Orlando city has a ~$19 million power bill per year from OUC

Projects 

Goal: they want 100% LED streetlights by 2020
OUC will retrofit 25,000 streetlight to LED; 18,000 have been converted to LED so as of current

They are testing smart streetlights that detect various things, only one I could note was gunshot detection (!)

New Horizon housing Project : Because of the solar panels on the roof, people who live there are saving $400-600 in utility bills per year 

Scooters (ala Lime Bikes) and the Virgin train are definetly coming soon (Dyer had reservations about scooters)

They want to have 100 chargers, 200 ports for electric vehicles maybe in the next year or two

Lymmo buses -all electric buses by 2020 [I may heard wrong but I believe they purchased 8 buses recently and want the whole fleet to run on battery/clean by 2025]

The city enacted a mandatory recycling policy where ALL buildings must have recycling bins/program 
+ There are 10+ recycle bins in Lake Eola right now

They have a app called ORL Collect APP that tells you what types of specific items/trash are recyclable 

you can request a composter for FREE: cityoforlando.net/composter

Thoughtful wishing:

If they move the Executive airport to another place (such as Sandford) the city would want to make it the biggest public park in the country by sqf - bigger than Central Park in NYC but the contract wont end till 2065(I think) so it wont be achievable for now. He also commented about Vertical Medical City being now the tallest building going up, and that height restriction is in due to the airport being close. So taller buildings aren't coming soon 

Thank you for this post. Orlando's architecture and high limit sucks and will keep it in the shadows. If it's comfortable being that way, so be it. 

Height aside, I love the idea of that awful airport becoming a public park. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Question for other fans of the permit lookup site...anyone notice that it’s not pulling complete results any more?

For example:

Search for 1 S Orange and you’ll only find one permit for Taco Bell Cantina/TB Cantina.  

Search for “Taco” or “Taco Bell” and you don’t find anything for 1 S Orange.

Search for Cantina, however, and you get all of the permits for “Taco Bell Cantina.”

I’ve tried playing with the formatting of the address but haven’t found out what’s wrong.

Another example is that the new shops at 20 N Orange don’t come up in an address search but come do come up if you search for them by name like “Mecatos.”

Yeah I've had trouble finding a lot of permits lately. Don't know if they are doing some sort of backend work or what but something is going on.