Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

^^

what is the deal with the 436/17/92 interchange, is it still on, b/c I keep hearing the opposite?

^^

Little Saigon-- they should build a wall thing like at Splendid China on both sides on Colonial marking the neighborhood-- and perhaps change the street lighting to signify the neighborhood. also, there's a few lots 1/2 block off of 50 that could really be developed with more Asian retail-restaurant, etc., to really densify the neighborhood-- on the north side of 50.

They actually talked about building an 'arch' that you typically see in 'Chinatowns' across the US, if not world, but someone shot that idea down. Does anyone know more about it? I seem to remember the City deciding not to spend the money on it?

They actually talked about building an 'arch' that you typically see in 'Chinatowns' across the US, if not world, but someone shot that idea down. Does anyone know more about it? I seem to remember the City deciding not to spend the money on it?

I thought it was the investor that bought the old Pine Hills Walmart that wanted to put the China Arch on that area of Colonial.

I thought it was the investor that bought the old Pine Hills Walmart that wanted to put the China Arch on that area of Colonial.

I'm not sure where the arch was going, but the Vietnamese community did attempt to have their area of Colonialtown redesignated "Little Saigon." Various other stakeholders in the area, including longtime residents and the gay community (presumably because of concerns of where that area ended and what they were attempting to do in their own "ViMi" district), objected, and so things were supposed to move forward as a general redevelopment project. As far as I know, that's still in the works, but I haven't seen much about it lately.

• 4 weeks later...

148014.jpg

"The Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority and the Florida Department of Transportation will open several new ramps between SR 408 and I-4 this summer. One of the first to open will be the ramp from westbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4 (highlighted in green). This new route will be much shorter than the existing path to eastbound I-4 and will reduce the congestion on the other SR 408 to I-4 ramps.

Also opening soon is the new ramp from westbound I-4 to Anderson Street(highlighted in blue). Although the entire new Anderson Street bridge will not open until later, this new ramp will allow drivers to exit at Anderson Street and turn either north or south on Division Street." -Trans4mation.org

that's exciting ^^, b/c I will be using that Anderson St. exit every day coming down WB I-4. BTW, they are chugging along with the Anderson St. to I-4 EB ramp as well. It merges with I-4 right where the new 408 WB to I-4 EB ramp hits I-4. When driving EB on I-4, you can see the two merge from the road.

that's exciting ^^, b/c I will be using that Anderson St. exit every day coming down WB I-4. BTW, they are chugging along with the Anderson St. to I-4 EB ramp as well. It merges with I-4 right where the new 408 WB to I-4 EB ramp hits I-4. When driving EB on I-4, you can see the two merge from the road.

Not just that, I noticed they're putting streetscape pavers through the middle of the intersection. Something they did at most intersections on the east side of I-4 but not on the west side. I'm glad DOT is choosing to upgrade a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

150419.jpg

"The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) plans to open a new ramp from westbound Interstate 4 to westbound Anderson Street during the early morning hours of Tuesday, July 15, weather permitting.

The new ramp will be numbered Exit 82C and will route traffic to the partially completed new Anderson Street bridge at westbound Anderson Street. With the opening of the new ramp the existing Exit 82C ramp from westbound I-4 to Division Avenue will close. However, motorists will still be able to reach Division Avenue via Anderson Street using the new ramp.

Westbound I-4 drivers will reach the new exit ramp about one-half mile sooner than with the existing ramp. Initially, traffic will only be allowed to turn right (west) onto Anderson Street from the new ramp. At the new intersection of Anderson Street and Division Avenue, traffic will only be allowed to turn right onto northbound Division Avenue from westbound Anderson Street while crews complete streetscape work.

One eastbound lane of the Anderson Street bridge from Division Avenue to Boone Avenue will open at the same time the new ramp opens. This lane will provide an alternate route to relieve traffic on eastbound South Street.

When completed, the reconstructed Anderson Street, including the new bridge, will accommodate two-way traffic from Division Avenue to Rosalind Avenue. Also, when the Anderson Street bridge is complete westbound Anderson Street traffic will be allowed to turn left or right onto Division Avenue." -Trans4mation.org e-mail

On a related note, I noticed the lines being painted for the new westbound stretch of the 408 from Semoran Blvd to the Conway toll plaza. This should mean the end of the road zigzaging over the potholes.

i drove on that today! it felt so nice driving on almost a 100% smooth road and not having to deal w/all the drivers who hit their brakes at the slightest bend in the road

I thought I heard there was an uproar by the non-Asians still doing business in the area.

150882.jpg

"During the coming weeks the Florida Department of Transportation and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority will be opening more ramps associated with the SR 408 and I-4 Interim Interchange Improvement project. In August the new ramp from eastbound I-4 to the Garland Avenue/South Street intersection will open, creating a new gateway into downtown Orlando.

A new ramp will open from Anderson Street to eastbound I-4. In addition to the ramps to and from I-4 and SR 408, the project includes improvements to Anderson Street and South Street. Other changes include improved drainage, landscaping, accent lighting and improved pedestrian features." -Trans4mation.org e-mail

150882.jpg

"During the coming weeks the Florida Department of Transportation and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority will be opening more ramps associated with the SR 408 and I-4 Interim Interchange Improvement project. In August the new ramp from eastbound I-4 to the Garland Avenue/South Street intersection will open, creating a new gateway into downtown Orlando.

A new ramp will open from Anderson Street to eastbound I-4. In addition to the ramps to and from I-4 and SR 408, the project includes improvements to Anderson Street and South Street. Other changes include improved drainage, landscaping, accent lighting and improved pedestrian features." -Trans4mation.org e-mail

until Anderson St. bridge is completely open, getting of at that exit from I-4 WB is a nightmare during rush hour, b/c it routes you to Division to South St., where the majority of the acrs are going. It's a continuous line of cars from the intersection of Anderson & Division all the way to Boone.

The South St. exit is a better choice, unless you are trying to get into the garages for Suntrust and City Hall. If you aren't, stay off that exit for now.

aside from that, that new overpass for Anderson offers nice views of downtown.

Ok, so now 408 W to I-4 E and 408 W to I-4 E are taken care of. I know that future plans will include a ramp for 408 W to I-4 W. As for 408 E to I-4 W, will they continue to use the old ramp or will they eventually build a new ramp? Also, this project does not appear to include any I-4 to 408 ramps. Does anyone know anything I don't?

Ok, so now 408 W to I-4 E and 408 W to I-4 E are taken care of. I know that future plans will include a ramp for 408 W to I-4 W. As for 408 E to I-4 W, will they continue to use the old ramp or will they eventually build a new ramp? Also, this project does not appear to include any I-4 to 408 ramps. Does anyone know anything I don't?

I guess, I should have checked the website first. It appears that the "Ultimate Plans" (who knows when the this will be completed) do include new ramps in all directions. It appears the current construction only includes an "Interim Plan", in which only some of the ramps will be complete.