Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

3 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

It's easy to jump on the free grapefruit and come over from the delightful Terry St and infiltrate the neighborhood. So, yeah, 2 years ago, grapefruit coincidence.

There’s a lot i don’t like about LYMMO but you sound like the Winter Parkers that thought SunRail would bring in crime.

Do you really think the issue was less 2 years ago because of the arduous trek down a dozen blocks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone know what is going on with the small parcel on the northwest corner of Orange / Pine? Is the owner just holding it? 

I look at all these small infill developments popping up all over Savannah and wish this lot could be developed in a similar fashion — something contextual with a nod to the past.

On a side note, the currently u/c San Marco hotel in St Augustine is a great example of seriously elevating the use of under-utilized parcels while maintaining the integrity of its surroundings: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/renaissance-marriott-coming-to-st-augustine%3famp

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Does anyone know what is going on with the small parcel on the northwest corner of Orange / Pine? Is the owner just holding it? 

I look at all these small infill developments popping up all over Savannah and wish this lot could be developed in a similar fashion — something contextual with a nod to the past.

On a side note, the currently u/c San Marco hotel in St Augustine is a great example of seriously elevating the use of under-utilized parcels while maintaining the integrity of its surroundings: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/renaissance-marriott-coming-to-st-augustine%3famp

The corner was proposed for a 2 story bar and restaurant with open decking around the 2nd story. That was a few years ago and nothing since.

I'm in Sav fairly often and plan to be there in a few weeks- what infill properties are you referring to? 

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I knew I wasn't entirely wrong...

https://bungalower.com/2013/09/19/developer-proposes-new-entertainment-building-on-orange-pine-in-downtown/

Btw this property owner, Bortz, is the same that owns City Centre corner of Central and Rosalind.

I remember that.

I also seem to recall they downsized and redesigned it a little bit after that initial proposal.

I'd love to see something with a little bit of height, maybe 4 to 6 floors, in a traditional architectural style go up there.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, AmIReal said:

The corner was proposed for a 2 story bar and restaurant with open decking around the 2nd story. That was a few years ago and nothing since.

I'm in Sav fairly often and plan to be there in a few weeks- what infill properties are you referring to? 

Check out the Savannah thread on Skyscraperpage.com under the Cities forum. There are dozens of very interesting infill developments underway.

1 hour ago, orlandoguy said:

A new anchor tenant bank for the former BOA Center at 390 N Orange should be announced soon. The old ground floor BOA branch will be used at its current size. I expected it to get broken up because it’s so large. The drive-thru will remain unused.

Good news. That is a rather large space, but that will really help the local retail (Dovecote).

So what is going to happen in the old Sun Trust building that WeWork is supposed to take...? I'm assuming WeWork is not happening. Am I wrong on that?  Meanwhile, I've been told some of the old Sun (new Truist) people are already in their office space in CSP. Is the old Sun space going to be vacant?

The NYTimes reported that as SoftBank took over control and management of WeWork they would likely slow down the pace and concentrate on larger markets like NYC and SFO.

Perhaps Orlando will be fine in that process but it does at least some skepticism is warranted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/business/wework-growth.amp.html

Edited by spenser1058

14 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

A new anchor tenant bank for the former BOA Center at 390 N Orange should be announced soon. The old ground floor BOA branch will be used at its current size. I expected it to get broken up because it’s so large. The drive-thru will remain unused.

Isn't the drive thru long gone?

Knowing what fans we are of Porta-potties here at Urban Planet, downtown Orlando is soon to get a couple for relief of homeless and those who may have had a bit too much beer. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-public-restroom-pilot-20191113-l7b5earu6jgnla5wdimqxeblni-story.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Knowing what fans we are of Porta-potties here at Urban Planet, downtown Orlando is soon to get a couple for relief of homeless and those who may have had a bit too much beer. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-public-restroom-pilot-20191113-l7b5earu6jgnla5wdimqxeblni-story.html

Can't read the article. Where does it say they're gonna place them? Like on the sidewalk or what? That would be really gross.

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Can't read the article. Where does it say they're gonna place them? Like on the sidewalk or what? That would be really gross.

Screenshot-82.png

The facilities would operate daily from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., and on Fridays and Saturdays they reopen from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. When not in service, they’d be locked...

4B77QBUUJRC2ZM32ANCBONXP64.png

• Like 1