Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

They appear to have come down sometime between 2016 and 2018 per Google.

We’re talking about two different sets of drive-thrus. The building has a set integrated into the ground floor of the building on State Lane. Google 358 State Lane and they’re visible. I’d post a screenshot but I don’t have a Tapatalk account and can’t post pics.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orlandoguy said:

We’re talking about two different sets of drive-thrus. The building has a set integrated into the ground floor of the building on State Lane. Google 358 State Lane and they’re visible. I’d post a screenshot but I don’t have a Tapatalk account and can’t post pics.

Whoa!  I had no idea!  I stand corrected.   What did they need with all those drive through lanes?  I assume at some point Nations and Barnett were using all of them at the same time.  I have a hard time believing that by the BOA era, that they were needing all of them (Both sets of drive throughs combined.  

image.png

Someone asked a while back about The First FA and I had said its above the door.  I never got a shot of it, but Google sure did.

image.png.8af9ec3f9d9f42487a902bdfddb20735.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:35 AM, codypet said:

What did they need with all those drive through lanes?

The thing was generally all the drive thru lanes were serviced by one person (per location), so the cost of having an additional lane or 2 is really nothing, but the benefit is generally no line at all, or at least very minimal lines.

My local BOA branch closed the drive thru when they hiked the BOA minimum wage, like most of them did. The elimination of the single employee from my local branch made my wait time go from never having more than a single person in front of me, and usually an open lane waiting for me, to at least a 30 minute wait for a teller everytime I go now. The single teller without the ability to service more then one person at a time really makes it take forever... I now get really annoyed at all the people who don't have the slips for whatever they're trying to do filled out when they get to the front of the line, since the teller and everyone in line is now sitting there waiting for them, instead of the drive thru where the teller services the other 3 lanes while the person fills out what they need to fill out only blocking their own lane... I really need to find a new bank.

4 hours ago, aent said:

The thing was generally all the drive thru lanes were serviced by one person (per location), so the cost of having an additional lane or 2 is really nothing, but the benefit is generally no line at all, or at least very minimal lines.

My local BOA branch closed the drive thru when they hiked the BOA minimum wage, like most of them did. The elimination of the single employee from my local branch made my wait time go from never having more than a single person in front of me, and usually an open lane waiting for me, to at least a 30 minute wait for a teller everytime I go now. The single teller without the ability to service more then one person at a time really makes it take forever... I now get really annoyed at all the people who don't have the slips for whatever they're trying to do filled out when they get to the front of the line, since the teller and everyone in line is now sitting there waiting for them, instead of the drive thru where the teller services the other 3 lanes while the person fills out what they need to fill out only blocking their own lane... I really need to find a new bank.

It seems to be the same story with the drive thru atm.   For some reason it never takes me more than 2 mins to do anything at the atm but the dude in front of me takes 10 mins. 

27 minutes ago, codypet said:

It seems to be the same story with the drive thru atm.   For some reason it never takes me more than 2 mins to do anything at the atm but the dude in front of me takes 10 mins. 

Haha, the worst is the self checkout machine.  So many people are seemingly shocked by every single step of it, and its always there first time.

Quick tip for any UPers who use the self checkout machines slowly, if its not a handheld scanner, stop looking for the barcodes on the items, swipe it across the scanner, if you don't immediately hear a beep, flip it over and scan again. It will work that time, it scans 2 sides of the item at a time and now you've hit 4 of them. If its a handheld scanner, scan from much further away they you are, the barcode doesn't need to  be perfectly within the red line. Also, when you finish scanning your items, the next step is always going to pay for your items. Get your card out, stop waiting and acting surprised when you hit finish scanning that it wants a payment.

I always thought that being a cashier was an entry-level unskilled job. Until I've seen people use the checkout machines themselves. I know some of the early, original ones weren't great (although still way faster and better then the speed half the people who use the modern ones can handle), but most of the modern ones are designed for speed now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aent said:

Haha, the worst is the self checkout machine.  So many people are seemingly shocked by every single step of it, and its always there first time.

Quick tip for any UPers who use the self checkout machines slowly, if its not a handheld scanner, stop looking for the barcodes on the items, swipe it across the scanner, if you don't immediately hear a beep, flip it over and scan again. It will work that time, it scans 2 sides of the item at a time and now you've hit 4 of them. If its a handheld scanner, scan from much further away they you are, the barcode doesn't need to  be perfectly within the red line. Also, when you finish scanning your items, the next step is always going to pay for your items. Get your card out, stop waiting and acting surprised when you hit finish scanning that it wants a payment.

I always thought that being a cashier was an entry-level unskilled job. Until I've seen people use the checkout machines themselves. I know some of the early, original ones weren't great (although still way faster and better then the speed half the people who use the modern ones can handle), but most of the modern ones are designed for speed now.

Maybe thats it.   I was a cashier at Home Depot through college.   Most of it in the garden center.   I have no problem at self checkout and maybe it's because I had three years of training at the place that's notoriously bad for barcodes falling off of product. 

13 hours ago, aent said:

Get your card out, stop waiting and acting surprised when you hit finish scanning that it wants a payment.

Can't speak for anyone else, but that look of surprise on my face is disbelief that a company expects me to scan & bag my own items for free without offering a discount.

I always try to use a cashier now - even if I only have a few items.

• Like 2

Thankfully, ordering online at Target has mostly taken that problem out of the equation for me. Fresh and frozen items I still get at Publix where I am apparently paying an arm and a leg for their guarantee of opening a new line if one ends up with three or more in it. 

I rarely have to wait behind more than one or two folks at Miller’s Hardware and Orange Cycle. Beyond that, I order online and let USPS and UPS just bring it to me.

I will say I had to give up Freshfield Farms because of the mass of humanity. Or, as Yogi Berra put it, “No one goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

So, self checkout hasn’t been a thing for me. I tried it once at Walmart and felt I was woefully under qualified to do the job well.

6 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but that look of surprise on my face is disbelief that a company expects me to scan & bag my own items for free without offering a discount.

I always try to use a cashier now - even if I only have a few items.

lol, and it surprises you at the end of the process, after you scanned all the items yourself?

Options are great. It is real nice to  go to a place that has both the option to checkout yourself faster to help you save time, or wait in line for a cashier to service you. As minimum wage rises, I'd totally expect many stores to charge a convenience fee for the individual service, much like many bank accounts now actually do charge a fee on the cheapest/free accounts for any services that could be performed on an ATM but you elect to utilize a teller. (I wish I could do my transactions on the ATM/online, but unfortunately for many business accounts they deny most services on the ATM). Several of the budget airlines are doing the same now as well, and if minimum wage goes to $15, I'd expect it to become common place in every business that is trying to compete on price.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, aent said:

I know some of the early, original ones weren't great (although still way faster and better then the speed half the people who use the modern ones can handle), but most of the modern ones are designed for speed now.

Publix has theirs intentionally slowed down or something.  Every time I try to use one I end up screaming obscenities, because I try to swipe-swipe-swipe and its like YOU DIDNT BAG IT

WeWork plans to lay off 1/3 of its workers

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/17/business/wework-layoffs.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

From the New York Times

While this does not indicate how the Orlando project might (or might not) be affected, it does seem to correlate with a previous Times piece suggesting SoftBank would concentrate WeWork projects moving forward only in the largest U.S. cities

Stay tuned.

On 11/17/2019 at 5:01 PM, aent said:

lol, and it surprises you at the end of the process, after you scanned all the items yourself?

Options are great. It is real nice to  go to a place that has both the option to checkout yourself faster to help you save time, or wait in line for a cashier to service you. As minimum wage rises, I'd totally expect many stores to charge a convenience fee for the individual service, much like many bank accounts now actually do charge a fee on the cheapest/free accounts for any services that could be performed on an ATM but you elect to utilize a teller. (I wish I could do my transactions on the ATM/online, but unfortunately for many business accounts they deny most services on the ATM). Several of the budget airlines are doing the same now as well, and if minimum wage goes to $15, I'd expect it to become common place in every business that is trying to compete on price.

Self-checkout lanes have such high rates of theft, something like 20% of items aren't scanned, that even at $15 it will make more economic sense to employ cashiers. Self checkout lanes are mostly used to accommodate peak hours so customers don't get satisfied at long waits. I used to work at Target and lines are supposed to be no more than 2 people behind the person checking out so we were overstaffed for busy hours but outside the peak the cashiers did menial busywork like organizing and restocking the items in the checkout lanes. With self checkout lanes they can staff accordingly but still emphasize cashiers to reduce shrinkage rates.

The articles I’ve read concur spoilage is a problem. The last one. I read on this say it’s a passing technology at best and that some variation on Amazon GO (China’s apparently way ahead of us on this) is the future, not POS terminals, manned or otherwise (at least in the chain stores).

Edited by spenser1058

19 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The articles I’ve read concur spoilage is a problem. The last one. I read on this say it’s a passing technology at best and that some variation on Amazon GO (China’s apparently way ahead of us on this) is the future, not POS terminals, manned or otherwise (at least in the chain stores).

Yeah I know Walmart has already started with RFID tech and I assume eventually every single thing will be tagged and make it so you can come and go and pay automatically.

1 minute ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Yeah I know Walmart has already started with RFID tech and I assume eventually every single thing will be tagged and make it so you can come and go and pay automatically.

RFID ran into the problem of being great for warehouse pallets but too expensive for individual items. I wonder if Walmart has solved that problem. The technology has existed for some time so it would be the easy solution if the price is in line.

Bell Labs was working on this in the 80's for NCR.  I remember my dad talking about this back then.  The idea that you could push your whole cart through an arch and it would ring everything up and then you just paid at a kiosk.   Obviously this was the 80's and 90's so by now the whole kiosk portion is out the window and you'd just roll out the door and Google Pay or something would bill you.  I had been wondering what the holdup was on it.

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Of course the danger there, is that they'll lose business because all the shoplifters will go somewhere else.  :huh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Of course the danger there, is that they'll lose business because all the shoplifters will go somewhere else.  :huh: 

When they moved cassette tapes to those long plastic things at Camelot, you would have thought that the shoplifters would go elsewhere.  They just got more creative in putting them down their pants.

I'm old.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

When they moved cassette tapes to those long plastic things at Camelot, you would have thought that the shoplifters would go elsewhere.  They just got more creative in putting them down their pants.

I'm old.

I know about half the words in that sentence.  

For those of us in high school at the turn of the Millenium I'll translate:

When Metallica started cracking down on people downloading MP3's on Napster, you would have thought illegal downloads would go somewhere else.  There's just new and creative ways to download music now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bqknight said:

20%?! Do you have a source on that? I find that hard to believe. 

...or maybe I just have too much faith in people. 

Yeah, from Googling it, I can't find any source but found the likely source of it from a similar statistic: 20% of people who have used self checkout have taken an item without paying for in their lifetime. The article also stated half of those is because they felt they wouldn't get caught, which presumably means the other half of the 20% probably wasn't so much trying to steal, but perhaps ran into some other problems, such as technology difficulties, accidents, etc. I'll admit in the past I've noticed after the fact that an item didn't scan in self checkout. At the same time, I've also noticed that items weren't on my receipt from regular cash register lanes after the fact. Both those incidents combined could surely be counted on one hand for my entire lifetime though. On the other hand, when i use in store/curbside pickup, the number of times I've gotten free stuff is pretty stunning, and ironically, that likely is the most labor intensive for the stores. To be fair, I've probably had them attempt to short me items I've paid for probably just as often.

The same article did mention the theft rates on a per item basis as well: They claimed 4% in self checkout lanes and 2% in regular lanes. Those numbers sound more reasonable to me. One of the last times I was in Walmart, I noticed they installed sensors to alert the cashiers to items left on the bottom tray of the cart, presumably because that is probably a fairly big source of theft for the 2% in regular lanes, and I imagine many people think they go through regular cashier lane, and the cashier forgets to scan the items below the cart, they're scott free, plausible deniability.