Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On 11/19/2019 at 8:45 AM, spenser1058 said:

I read on this say it’s a passing technology at best and that some variation on Amazon GO (China’s apparently way ahead of us on this) is the future, not POS terminals, manned or otherwise (at least in the chain stores).

I get depressed every time I travel overseas about anything payment related.  In 2010, it was that restaurants in Canada brought a machine to the table for you so you didn't have to give them a card.  Earlier this decade it was the ease of payment using QR codes and WeChat in China.  Last month in London it was how literally evrywhere accepted NFC/contactless payment.  I pulled out my credit card once the entire trip, and just tapped my phone (with 100% success rate unlike here) everywhere else.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2019 at 1:01 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I get depressed every time I travel overseas about anything payment related.  In 2010, it was that restaurants in Canada brought a machine to the table for you so you didn't have to give them a card.  Earlier this decade it was the ease of payment using QR codes and WeChat in China.  Last month in London it was how literally evrywhere accepted NFC/contactless payment.  I pulled out my credit card once the entire trip, and just tapped my phone (with 100% success rate unlike here) everywhere else.

Its also so difficult to understand why we went to EMV chips instead of straight to NFC. The other thing I find really interesting about payments is Sams Club, of all places, seems to be among the most innovative in large scale use. They've really created a great, fast, easy to use next generation technology with their scan n go app.

ARB2019-10047 - “Major review of a high rise sign”

This is currently a 3-4 story brick warehouse.   Not sure if the description means it’s getting a sign, that it’s getting a high sign or if a high rise is replacing this possibly historic building.

Just passing this along

Speaking of the Taco Bell, One South Orange has a new neon sign on the corner of the building (a similar type to the Walgreens sign at the old First National Bank). 

It brightens up the foreboding brick structure and gives a nod to the old Ivey’s sign.

It will be interesting to see if it will clash with the Jack Kazanzas star which should be posted over Orange Ave. in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Speaking of the Taco Bell, One South Orange has a new neon sign on the corner of the building (a similar type to the Walgreens sign at the old First National Bank). 

It brightens up the foreboding brick structure and gives a nod to the old Ivey’s sign.

It will be interesting to see if it will clash with the Jack Kazanzas star which should be posted over Orange Ave. in the next couple of weeks.

any pics?

17 hours ago, Jernigan said:

ARB2019-10047 - “Major review of a high rise sign”

This is currently a 3-4 story brick warehouse.   Not sure if the description means it’s getting a sign, that it’s getting a high sign or if a high rise is replacing this possibly historic building.

Just passing this along

Its this building for those wondering. Its one of my favs downtown and hope they just mean a rooftop sign.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18183894/111-W-Jefferson-Street-Orlando-FL/

13 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Its this building for those wondering. Its one of my favs downtown and hope they just mean a rooftop sign.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18183894/111-W-Jefferson-Street-Orlando-FL/

The old ABC warehouse is amazing. The right kind sign could be very cool. I’d like to see a period specific billboard on the roof with 1930’s style lights, personally. I assume that’s not what were gonna get but a boy can dream. See, I’m a Dreamer already!

On 11/19/2019 at 12:32 PM, codypet said:

I know about half the words in that sentence.  

For those of us in high school at the turn of the Millenium I'll translate:

When Metallica started cracking down on people downloading MP3's on Napster, you would have thought illegal downloads would go somewhere else.  There's just new and creative ways to download music now.

i was born in '96 so understand  1/2 of this sentence ;)

12 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Saw a permit posted on the Publix door. Looked it up and appears a small refresh happening.

Project consists of interior equipment updates as noted in plans. Interior work will include relocation of racks and addition of new refrigerated cases and gondolas.

Yes, they’re overdue for their 5-year refresh so it’s good to see. I’m still curious if Publix is going to follow the trend of shrinking the size of the middle aisles (the items you can buy online) in favor of more fresh and prepared items. If that happened with the Shine redo, I couldn’t tell. Of course, like a good haircut, maybe that’s a sign of success...

The good news is that, if they’re doing a refresh, the grocery store that was supposedly “doomed to failure” has proved the naysayers of downtown retail wrong yet again.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Yes, they did try to do that at Shine. 

They tried to expand the "Deli" area so that  people stop at that corner and they expanded the prepared items shelf space right there and moved wine and snacks to that corner by the meat. 

It is kind of annoying to me because  people stop in the deli area and block  the way to get through. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yes, they did try to do that at Shine. 

They tried to expand the "Deli" area so that  people stop at that corner and they expanded the prepared items shelf space right there and moved wine and snacks to that corner by the meat. 

It is kind of annoying to me because  people stop in the deli area and block  the way to get through. 

Actually by prepared items (which was a test at Lake Mary), I mean more entrees actually being served up by the Deli folks. As done by other grocery chains, it’s almost like a mini-Morrison’s Cafeteria. Talk about Back To the Future...

4 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Saw a permit posted on the Publix door. Looked it up and appears a small refresh happening.

Project consists of interior equipment updates as noted in plans. Interior work will include relocation of racks and addition of new refrigerated cases and gondolas.

Does that refer to online order storage?  

Sidebar: I always thought it would have been neat for the Lake Eola Publix to have a walk up window for the deli with cafe seating - even better idea now that they could also allow online order pick up there too 

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 1

As to online order storage, I’m not sure where they are with it. Publix has a problem in that they are subletting out a lot of their online services to Instacart. That’s odd, because a company that lives and dies on customer service shouldn’t be farming that out. Then again, Publix is usually late to the party with technology. (I will say the part they do handle, like online deli orders and digital coupons, has markedly improved in the last year, as has Publix.com generally).

I think you’re right about a Deli window. Former store manager Paul Bracker (he was actively involved in store design for Eola whole he also ran the Shine store) wanted to do several things (including a liquor store) but kept hitting roadblocks from the Jax division and Lakeland right up until he retired. Since then, it’s been a revolving door of meh managers there.

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

Publix used to have online ordering wayyy back in the day and dropped it, but it was definitely before its time.  I could see them thinking they got bit once, let's not try it again.   

I order Pub Subs from Eola regularly from Publix.com and it works splendidly. I also do digital coupons and digital receipts. They’re making definite progress but until they get out of the Instacart contract I think they’re as stymied as Target was before they took their digital back from Amazon.

Fern Creek Starbucks looks to be going up a second story right now.  Too dark to get a photo tonight. 

Edit: I was curious after driving by tonight, because I didn't remember them saying it would be two stories. It appears to be just a really large parapet facade for the signage.  Found the plan  online, which I am not sure if we posted yet: 

Pages from MPBStaffReport2018-06_ZON2018-10008.png

Looks as the the ARB tried to get them to redesign so that the corner parapet will be the primary focal point, as in the black part in the rendering would now be on the corner. That's why it looks like it is going up a second story right now. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1