Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On 1/3/2020 at 5:54 PM, KJHburg said:

Charlotte has used some speed tables which elevate the intersection of a non signalized intersection to slow traffic. One time you might go over fast but the next time you will slow down LOL. 

Baldwin has this and Robinson will be getting it at Broadway.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

E. Robinson St. is a state road (FL 526) so I’m guessing FDOT would have to sign off on anything they want to do. (Wiki says it is still maintained by FDOT also).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Road_526

It is but FDOT wouldn’t hold the city back on that stretch.  

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

They sure did on Orange Ave. about the Pulse crossing. Maybe they’ve gotten better but when Jeff Clark was on city council and played liaison between the city and the state about jurisdiction for various roads in town, he was always grumbling about how cranky they were.

They’ve gotten much more progressive about these issues.   They are still behind the times but probably no more than Orlando - as evidenced by Orlando’s lackadaisical reactive approach to bike/ped facilities on city streets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Any timeline on Robinson?  That road makes me question everything our city knows or cares to know about traffic calming and prioritizing pedestrians.

IIRC in the public meeting I-4 to Mills was funded to be constructed in 2023.  Mills to Crystal Lake didn't have funding yet.

Question - not sure where to put it - so I'm putting it here. 

Are there some sort of requirements for the lighting on buildings crowns? I feel like SunTrust, Modera and Citi Tower's are broken so often. When everything is lit up - I really like how bright Downtown looks. Unfortunately - it seems to be a rare thing that all are working at once. 

• Like 1

That’s a great question. I remember when the ordinance was passed which unintentionally led to a downtown full of visors (I bet the HBC loves it here!) and also encouraged water features but I don’t remember anything about lighting. If there is a rule, it may have come later.

We’ve come a long way. We used to be lucky to get the corporate names on top  lit up, then in the ‘80’s they started wrapping cheap neon (LED?) tubes around the Day Building and Olympia Place 1.

Today the lighting seems to be better integrated but, you’re right, it’s often inconsistent.

Edited by spenser1058

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s a great question. I remember when the ordinance was passed which unintentionally led to a downtown full of visors (I bet the HBC loves it here!) and also encouraged water features but I don’t remember anything about lighting. If there is a rule, it may have come later.

We’ve come a long way. We used to be lucky to get the corporate names on top  lit up, then in the ‘80’s they started wrapping cheap neon (LED?) tubes around the Day Building and Olympia Place 1.

Today the lighting seems to be better integrated but, you’re right, it’s often inconsistent.

The lighting is there...it just doesn't seem to be working half the time. Or are the buildings not turning it on to save power? I find it hard to believe that the systems break that often. 

(Former) SunTrust's may be going under a renovation - as I recall them saying they were going to upgrade it. That one being out really hurts our nighttime skyline IMO. 

Barnett Bank/ BOA building has a new bank with building signage rights. City National Bank of Florida will move 10 employees into 13,000 feet of the 28th floor, take over the lobby and signage will appear atop the building late Q1.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/01/07/south-florida-bank-inks-lease-signage-rights-for.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

51 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Question - not sure where to put it - so I'm putting it here. 

Are there some sort of requirements for the lighting on buildings crowns? I feel like SunTrust, Modera and Citi Tower's are broken so often. When everything is lit up - I really like how bright Downtown looks. Unfortunately - it seems to be a rare thing that all are working at once. 

Requirements are covered in national building code, Florida regs and municode. Appearance standards are covered in ARB. They provide a style guide to developers.

3 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

CNB already has offices elsewhere in the building. Those employees will likely also be moved to the 28th floor, freeing up space where they currently are (24th floor, if I’m not mistaken).

That makes much more sense.   They'll get s decent lobby and a drive thru too presumably.   Not too shabby of a move. 

• Like 1

I noticed some special logo banner that was flying on the side of the building earlier in the day- although I was distant on 408 and did not pay much attention when I got closer. I suspect this color profile may be tied to that and is not necessarily the permanent color scheme they intend.

26 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I noticed some special logo banner that was flying on the side of the building earlier in the day- although I was distant on 408 and did not pay much attention when I got closer. I suspect this color profile may be tied to that and is not necessarily the permanent color scheme they intend.

I assume they’ll change it like Solaire, the Aloft building and a few others depending on what’s going on. 

10 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Yep it’s for the NFL Pro Bowl.