Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

57 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Anybody know what’s up with the Cobb theatre downtown? Not showing any movies today. They’re also mysteriously closed and are not accepting phone calls. Really hope this theatre is not closing. That would be a huge black eye on downtown Orlando.

Bungalower  is on the case! All is well - just some tech issues.  They’re back open.

Many thanks to Brendan for the quick response!

• Like 1

Found this gem on RICHES... A retro ad produced by the Orlando Chamber of Commerce w/a few scenes of downtown Orlando sprinkled in.

"ORLANDO  The Action Center of Florida"

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/files/original/8a7731a7310d4fff6e498062e47bc871.mp4

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Found this gem on RICHES... A retro ad produced by the Orlando Chamber of Commerce w/a few scenes of downtown Orlando sprinkled in.

"ORLANDO  The Action Center of Florida"

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/files/original/8a7731a7310d4fff6e498062e47bc871.mp4

That video has been on YouTube for quite some time now, too.

51 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That video has been on YouTube for quite some time now, too.

Figures you would have already seen it... I was half-expecting to see either you or @spenser1058 scamper across the screen in a snapshot of your youth:tw_tounge_wink:. Anyway, just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Back before all the flowers disappeared from Eola Park!

I wonder why the hanging potted plants not been replaced next to the Northwest lawn? The plants have been missing since Pride month... new landscaping company? I'm all for returning Lake Eola to it's former glory and they could use Florida-friendly foliage & flowers to further Orlando's "green" branding.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

Had they done a closeup of Parkwood Plaza, you probably would have as that was our daily hangout in elementary school. 

Thr old Auto Show used to be in the parking lot at Parkwood every year and they picked a random kid for each performance on the small stage to work with the magician they had. Being the precocious young whippersnapper I was, I usually made it up there several times and thought I had found fame...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Aren’t they subdividing the space?

That's what the article says...

People always forget there's another spot right behind (kinda) Chela that used to be Isla Verde for a hot minute. It's been nothing ever since. It's a smaller space but still pretty decent sized. 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:41 AM, bqknight said:

That's what the article says...

People always forget there's another spot right behind (kinda) Chela that used to be Isla Verde for a hot minute. It's been nothing ever since. It's a smaller space but still pretty decent sized. 

Also was Pipers for years (which I dearly miss) and who can forget the short lived HORSEPOWER

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Plans for Fulcrum, the reuse of the old JCPenney big box at Orange Ave & Jefferson St.:

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/fulcrum-downtown-orlando

From The Daily City 

With Orange & Robinson and Society Orlando/X Orlando/Golden Sparrow, that part of downtown is prime for a nice little uptick in activity. Excited to (hopefully) see it all come together. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bqknight said:

With Orange & Robinson and Society Orlando/X Orlando/Golden Sparrow, that part of downtown is prime for a nice little uptick in activity. Excited to (hopefully) see it all come together. 

We haven't seen any progress on the announced park/event space on the SW corner of Orange and Robinson. I wonder if the City and Dr. Phillips Fdn. are revisiting plans with the increased development in the area.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I remember my roommates and I used to drive there to pay our OUC utility bills back in the day. But now that I think of it... why was OUC operating out of that building??

How far back are you talking about?

I remember in the 80's I used to pay in person at the former OUC (now Aloft) building and my phone bill at the old Bell South building, but I never heard of them using the old JCPenney location.

Might it have been a third party bill collector?

I'm pretty sure they contracted with various businesses around town to collect payments for them.

A couple over around the trail that I'd be hesitant to walk inside of while carrying money, too.

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

How far back are you talking about?

I remember in the 80's I used to pay in person at the former OUC (now Aloft) building and my phone bill at the old Bell South building, but I never heard of them using the old JCPenney location.

Might it have been a third party bill collector?

I'm pretty sure they contracted with various businesses around town to collect payments for them.

A couple over around the trail that I'd be hesitant to walk inside of while carrying money, too.

I want to say it was as they were transitioning from the old to the new bldg. but it's been a while. I do remember that also, though.

• Like 1