Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Lost hopes on a commuter rail in Central Florida. Why don't we just get rid of the little bit of mass transit here? Shut down Lynx completely. Then, let's just knock down all the buildings and pave the whole place. People can just drive around in circles.

You're so cute when you think Lynx is nothing more than a prop for the local politicians to have edgy painted things to add to their re-election web-sites rather than a system that is a true investment in a community. Voters drive you know...

Oh, I'm sorry. Was my cynicism showing? How embarrassing. I retract everything I said. Well maybe not the cute part... :wub:

I think the placement on the ultimate plan ramps will be directly related to the ultimate widening of I-4, so they have to be done around the same time esse.

I checked the trans4mation website a while back and i remember seeing 2017 as the date for the ultimate interchange....don't remember if that was construction or completion either way its too far off.

I'm riding in the playa as you go lanes, dog!

post-8152-1216750860_thumb.jpg

Oh wait, PAY as you go....Seriously, I don't have a problem with this. Although I think it makes more sense to just raise the gas tax to pay for our roads and bridges. Well, we'll have to do both I imagine....It would be nice not to have to leave 15 minutes earlier than needed for meetings and such just in case congestion was bad.

Pay-as-you-go lanes seemed like a decent option when I first heard of the concept but now that I have experienced that experimental stretch of I-95 here in Miami, I can say that I don't think it's a good idea. What happens during off-peak times is that the 2 Lexus Lanes hardly see any traffic since there is only one entry point at I-195 and one exit point at the Golden Glades interchange, so the remaining 3-4 lanes are more congested. Mind you, traffic keep moving in those lanes but there are a lot more cars in them and they move a little slower. So you have a 5-6 lane heavily used artery with 2 of its lanes pretty much being wasted 20 hours a day. And yes, as noted in the article linked to above, there are bound to be more accidents because of the candlestick dividers. The dividers give drivers a false sense of security that nobody will intrude on their lane until some crazy person who has no regard for their car (or life) realizes that they're about to miss their exit and they drive across the divider. Not only should the number of accidents increase, I think the severity will as well. Accidents such as these could be thwarted by installing a solid lane barrier that would be impossible to cross.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Energy has a couple.

OIA has at least one that they are using for their park 'n ride lots. I rode on one recently when I came back into town. The driver was pretty chatty about the thing, said he likes it a lot and they've had it about a year now.

oops quoted the wrong post. At any rate, OIA has a hydrogen vehicle as well.

Edited by lala67

OIA has at least one that they are using for their park 'n ride lots. I rode on one recently when I came back into town. The driver was pretty chatty about the thing, said he likes it a lot and they've had it about a year now.

oops quoted the wrong post. At any rate, OIA has a hydrogen vehicle as well.

I've also seen some shuttles around the OCCC that say they are hydrogen powered.

152249.jpg

The big mistake in this phase of the interchange is that the never constructed a ramp going eastbound to SR408. Right now the only new ramps are going to I-4 and there are substantial backups still on I-4 east and west to get on the 408. This ultimate interchange needs to take top priority until that happens.

The big mistake in this phase of the interchange is that the never constructed a ramp going eastbound to SR408. Right now the only new ramps are going to I-4 and there are substantial backups still on I-4 east and west to get on the 408. This ultimate interchange needs to take top priority until that happens.

No mistake at all. You don't build a ramp to lanes that will be torn up in a couple of years. They smartly chose to move up construction on the ramps to lanes that will remain in place once I-4 widens, instead of waiting until I-4 was done.

The only options were: (a) do nothing, (b) do as much get-ahead as you can now, or © build now and rip up shortly after. Only (b) makes any sense.

great shot of downtown, BTW.

I just can't wait for the I-4 EB to Garland exit to open... that will absolutely rock... a whole new aspect to Orlando from the auto.

^^

where exactly is the ramp from I-4 WB to 408 EB supposed to emanate from anyway, from the Anderson St. exit?

No mistake at all. You don't build a ramp to lanes that will be torn up in a couple of years. They smartly chose to move up construction on the ramps to lanes that will remain in place once I-4 widens, instead of waiting until I-4 was done.

The only options were: (a) do nothing, (b) do as much get-ahead as you can now, or

I just spoke with the Trans4mation group a couple weeks ago to get an update on the new ramps and a timeline. Here is the breakdown:

- SR 408 to EB I-4 opened February 12

- SR 408 to WB I-4 opened July 1

- I-4 and South Street exit ramp - mid-August

- Anderson to I-4 EB entrance ramp - mid-August

- Anderson Street Bridge and Anderson two-way from Rosalind to Division and Hughey and South Street ramp to I-4 WB - all by mid-September

So hopefully traffic will be flowing a little better around the I-4/408 interchange in about a month.

I just spoke with the Trans4mation group a couple weeks ago to get an update on the new ramps and a timeline. Here is the breakdown:

- SR 408 to EB I-4 opened February 12

- SR 408 to WB I-4 opened July 1

- I-4 and South Street exit ramp - mid-August

- Anderson to I-4 EB entrance ramp - mid-August

- Anderson Street Bridge and Anderson two-way from Rosalind to Division and Hughey and South Street ramp to I-4 WB - all by mid-September

So hopefully traffic will be flowing a little better around the I-4/408 interchange in about a month.

welcome and thanks for that update. I'm tired of always taking South to Division to the back side of Cityview just to eventually get to Court Ave.

152193.jpg

55 West might look great from street level but it looks terrible from just about every other perspective. I'm pretty disappointed to see such an ugly building pop up right in the core of downtown next to the skyline's focal point in SunTrust. It's so tall, fat and brutal, it really is an eyesore.

Just my opinion, of course.

^^

they built a new entrance into the City Hall garage's 2nd or 3rd level from the new Anderson St. bridge. adds a 3D dimension to the area b/c of the elevation there.

I was just in that garage on Saturday for the first time in a few months and noticed that ramp going directly across. It's obviously not open yet, but cool for CNL and City employees. I wonder if they will plan on having that be for parking pass holders only or if they will have a booth with personnel. It's on the 3rd floor of the garage, which is only the 2nd floor of CNL I.

153251.jpg

"The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) plans to open a new ramp from eastbound Interstate 4 to Downtown Orlando during the early morning hours of Friday, Aug. 22, although weather conditions resulting from Tropical Storm Fay may delay the opening to as late as Wednesday, Aug. 27. The new ramp is a gateway to the heart of Downtown Orlando at Garland Avenue and South Street, allowing easier access to existing and future downtown businesses, residences and cultural venues.

Drivers on eastbound I-4 will reach the new exit ramp about a half mile sooner than the existing temporary left exit ramp to South Street (Exit 82C). When the new ramp opens, the left exit ramp closes permanently. The new exit

153251.jpg

"The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) plans to open a new ramp from eastbound Interstate 4 to Downtown Orlando during the early morning hours of Friday, Aug. 22, although weather conditions resulting from Tropical Storm Fay may delay the opening to as late as Wednesday, Aug. 27. The new ramp is a gateway to the heart of Downtown Orlando at Garland Avenue and South Street, allowing easier access to existing and future downtown businesses, residences and cultural venues.

Drivers on eastbound I-4 will reach the new exit ramp about a half mile sooner than the existing temporary left exit ramp to South Street (Exit 82C). When the new ramp opens, the left exit ramp closes permanently. The new exit