Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

So it appears we've hit a bit of a lull in Downtown construction. The 11-story Orange & Robinson and the 13-story Radius are both topped out. And there's still some stuff being built in Creative Village. But other than that, not much. There's a half dozen solid projects that have already been approved but have been quiet in recent weeks. What do you guys think will happen next in the near term?

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

So it appears we've hit a bit of a lull in Downtown construction. The 11-story Orange & Robinson and the 13-story Radius are both topped out. And there's still some stuff being built in Creative Village. But other than that, not much. There's a half dozen solid projects that have already been approved but have been quiet in recent weeks. What do you guys think will happen next in the near term?

Nothing at all for 2-3 years. 

Society or Golden Sparrow or whatever we call it now I believe will move forward (this phase). The outlying things like the Packing District and stuff in Nona will move forward. Projects on tap for S. Eola are probably safe. Things like CSP2 and Magic S&ED will be hard sells- not because of funding, but because of demand. Regardless, I think these 2 get done later. I wouldn't put much faith in Monarch, Zoi, DIVX, etc at this time... oh, I also wouldn't put money in VMC if you were so inclined.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

CV is still going strong, that area will look a lot different with Parcel U and EA sports and the Commons finishing over the next year and a half. Going to look like a real campus/village soon with all sides built up around the Commons. 

I believe that Society X will start. I also heard rumors that 500 N Orange Avenue is looking for tenants and soliciting contractor credentials so that will finally happen (don't know if there was a thread on that but its the old AT&T Building https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/500-N-Orange-Ave-Orlando-FL/14330057/).  200 SOA will continue to get renovated, including the residential conversion.  

Out of the rest proposed I don't think many will start soon. The likeliest to go IMO is Monarch. 

From your lips to God’s ears.

13 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I think an observation tower would be a nice addition to downtown Orlando. It would add something to do and would be cool for our skyline.

I agree.

I think I even posted something similar.

A Seattle Space Needle/Dallas Reunion Tower style tower.

Maybe if they agreed to put mouse ears on it, Disney would pay for it.

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I agree.

I think I even posted something similar.

A Seattle Space Needle/Dallas Reunion Tower style tower.

Maybe if they agreed to put mouse ears on it, Disney would pay for it.

I've always said the same thing. Even San Antonio has one and it is great. Nice draw for tourists and locals with the restaurant up top. I've also dreamed of knocking down the CS Market bridge and replacing the tree in the round about with a NYC Vessel-like structure. Make the old SunTrust building a "W" hotel or similar brand, get rid of frat bars on Church and have sidewalk cafes, shops and put an H&M, Coach, Brooks Brothers, etc in the Plaza building.  This with the Magic SED , Under I-4, Bumby Arcade, and if the Orlando Tours would come back to train depot would make a nice draw for tourists and locals alike.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I've always said the same thing. Even San Antonio has one and it is great. Nice draw for tourists and locals with the restaurant up top. I've also dreamed of knocking down the CS Market bridge and replacing the tree in the round about with a NYC Vessel-like structure. Make the old SunTrust building a "W" hotel or similar brand, get rid of frat bars on Church and have sidewalk cafes, shops and put an H&M, Coach, Brooks Brothers, etc in the Plaza building.  This with the Magic SED , Under I-4, Bumby Arcade, and if the Orlando Tours would come back to train depot would make a nice draw for tourists and locals alike.

Orlando already has a version of the Space Needle - EPCOT :)

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, dcluley98 said:

CV is still going strong, that area will look a lot different with Parcel U and EA sports and the Commons finishing over the next year and a half. Going to look like a real campus/village soon with all sides built up around the Commons. 

I believe that Society X will start. I also heard rumors that 500 N Orange Avenue is looking for tenants and soliciting contractor credentials so that will finally happen (don't know if there was a thread on that but its the old AT&T Building https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/500-N-Orange-Ave-Orlando-FL/14330057/).  200 SOA will continue to get renovated, including the residential conversion.  

Out of the rest proposed I don't think many will start soon. The likeliest to go IMO is Monarch. 

Monarch would be quite a nice addition. Fingers crossed. 

19-story mixed-use tower proposed to go next to the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts at 401 S. Rosalind Ave.

The residential property would bring 236 fully furnished apartments of "mostly three- and four-bedroom co-living units where tenants rent a private bedroom for around $1,000 a month".

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-sono-development-tower-20200921-jqphgdp36bdnvpinaorp6mqn6m-story.html

Edited by AmIReal

Maybe Goofy themed public safe needle disposal containers would be more useful.

Has needle disposal become a 'thing' in downtown Orlando? 

36 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

19-story mixed-use tower proposed to go next to the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts at 401 S. Rosalind Ave.

The residential property would bring 236 fully furnished apartments of "mostly three- and four-bedroom co-living units where tenants rent a private bedroom for around $1,000 a month".

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-sono-development-tower-20200921-jqphgdp36bdnvpinaorp6mqn6m-story.html

RY5NN4UONNH47GRNZNF2J53BLY.PNG

7 hours ago, codypet said:

Oof the hits just keep coming for the Grande!

I've been looking at condos downtown and there are a ton of them for sale at The Grande.  Cheap, too.  The only reason we haven't considered it is because they're kind of in the middle of nowhere (as far as downtown condos go).   If they could get any sort of ground floor retail built next to them like a 711 or... just anything... the trade off for a 19 story shadow might be worth it.

Might even get the DPAC apartment project off the ground.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 1

A coworker of mine lived there and it was a nightmare.  She ended up with a rat problem and she lived on the 4th floor.  They apparently came up the laundry drain pipe.  The nail in the coffin was when they pulled out her window when they were doing the façade reconstruction.  She was without a window for a couple of weeks with just a couple of sheets of heavy duty plastic keeping her window out from the elements during Covid.  She was over it by then.

• Confused 1

This is the rumor I heard last week, but I thought they were going to do portions of the remodel. That sucks. 

Did the article say anything about planned renovations/remodel? From my understanding the owner's rep was soliciting credentials from contractors, so they would at least do some sort of work, but may just be interior reno now instead of the reskin with glass facade and GF retail. I know they are going to be doing some work to the building as it is in a state of disrepair currently. Whether that means just interiors and "freshen up" or more extensive work, I don't know. 

Edited by dcluley98