Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Bungalower has a little more info on the master plan for Lake Eola:

"Perrone also told us that the project to re-envision the park was in the very early stages of development before the pandemic hit, delaying it by roughly five months... The process, which is being guided by GAI Consultants, will involve the first stage of ideation followed by a new standards/maintenance plan for the park, followed in turn by digital questionnaires going out to the public. A conceptual Master Plan is expected to be completed by January or February 2021 with a final Master Plan report coming in March 2021."

https://bungalower.com/2020/10/11/lake-eola-park-to-get-a-master-plan-for-future-facelift/

I notice the Bungalower article referenced changes to the southern/Central Blvd entrance.

I hope they don't start monkeying around with the promenade along that section.

I could imagine them taking out all that stonework and replacing it with some artsy-fartsy crapola that's supposed to look cool but doesn't.

I can’t imagine them altering it too much. Like the “see-through” bathrooms, that stretch was created to cut down on naughtiness in what used to be one of the cruisier areas of the park.

During the sweeps months on the news (when ratings were measured for local TV), that was one of the favorite spots to find boys behaving badly (of course, the irony was several of the local reporters had more first-hand knowledge of such things than would have seemed likely). 

It drove Mayor Bill crazy and the promenade was a major feature of the 1987 redo. Of course, apps like Grindr have rendered all that obsolete anyway.

I wonder if they’ll bring back Mayor Glenda’s flashing neon sign from the Millennia celebration ? That was definitely...something.

Edited by spenser1058

The thing I’m trying to figure out is that there’s only so much “plussing” you can do to the park at its current size.

Compared to other ceremonial parks like Piedmont Park in Atlanta, Centennial Park in Nashville, Grant Park in Chicago and the granddaddy, NYC’s Central Park, Eola Park is teeny (and most of the space we have is taken up by water).

Job 1 is to expand the park. As compared to when the 1987 redo was undertaken, the park as predicted has become “overloved”.

They tried to move events over to Constitution Green and Festival Park but have been only partially successful.

The major redo of Lorna Doone Park may help some but the park simply needs to be expanded... soon.

Edited by spenser1058

18 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Maybe the City can imminent domain the Rosalind Club property to expand more toward downtown and open up that corner. 

First of all, it won’t happen. Buddy would never take on the FFO’s who hold sway at the RC. Second, it really doesn’t get you much space and destroys a building significant to the city’s past.

The expansion with more bang for the buck is to buy the properties between Robinson and Washington and between Eola Dr and Summerlin. Lowndes obviously isn’t going anywhere soon but the rest of the block could go in play.

The sad part is that for decades there was plenty of open land in South Eola (and Howard Schieferdecker, later Maitland’s mayor and a very civic sort, had control of it) that could have been connected and wasn’t. Too late now.

If this is the south entrance off of Central....

dto-10-608x304-1.png

It looks like a good portion of the promenade is going to be affected.

I don't know.

Seems like every time "they" try to improve something, they just end up ruining it.

While I'm all in favor of gussying up that entrance (the swans look cool) I think they might be going a bit overboard on the rest of it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I always say, by gum. 

• Like 2

Yes, that’s the Rosalind side. It looks pretty much like it does today plus the swans. They’re sort of a nice touch and I don’t think they’d hurt anything.

It is rather a shame that the connector back to Orange Ave., Washington St., is so frumpy because of the AT&T bunker. Not to mention it seems as though that empty lot where Cambria Suites was to go seems destined to break the 25-year record as an empty lot.

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Yes, that’s the Rosalind side. It looks pretty much like it does today plus the swans. They’re sort of a nice touch and I don’t think they’d hurt anything.

It is rather a shame that the connector back to Orange Ave., Washington St., is so frumpy because of the AT&T bunker. Not to mention it seems as though that empty lot where Cambria Suites was to go seems destined to break the 25-year record as an empty lot.

There’s not a splash pad there already right?

On 10/12/2020 at 2:22 PM, JFW657 said:

If this is the south entrance off of Central....

dto-10-608x304-1.png

It looks like a good portion of the promenade is going to be affected.

I don't know.

Seems like every time "they" try to improve something, they just end up ruining it.

While I'm all in favor of gussying up that entrance (the swans look cool) I think they might be going a bit overboard on the rest of it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I always say, by gum. 

This is a conceptual rendering from Project DTO. I wouldn't put too much credence in this being a part of the new plan without something explicitly saying so. Project DTO was purely visionary, and I think this new project is supposed to represent a more thought out and down-to-earth approach.

• Like 2

Apologies in advance for my laziness (as I am too tired too search)...but could someone fill me in on what is going up between the Lynx Bus Station (and Orange Ave) bordering Livingston St? That area has been fenced off several months. Just curious....as I see it weekly on my Urban Trail rides. Again....sorry if I missed it (coconut pie in the face if required). Cheers.