Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

10 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

That is the Society (formerly Golden Sparrow) site. See latest update in Golden Sparrow thread, they have done underground piles and sitework and plan to start on phase  one 28-story tower in spring next year according to their latest news/report. 

Ahh...got it. Thanks for the heads up. Cheers.

A new developer in the works for a proposed apartment development at 319 N. Magnolia Ave; Dr. Phillips May add a food truck and other amenities to a pocket park at 274 N. Orange and more downtown tidbits:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/19/downtown-orlando-roundup.html

From OBJ

Edited by spenser1058

I remember this being mentioned a couple years or so back, but had not heard anything since. The lot at the corner of North Orange and West Robinson- next to Seacoast- "will feature a permanent food and beverage concept in the container section, as well as dedicated spaces for two food trucks. It will also serve as a venue for live performances and will feature giant video screen that would be elevated and angled so it could be visible from Orange Avenue. A second 19½-foot long, interactive LED video board would be at ground level, parallel to the bank building."

From Growthspotter- https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-art2-park-20201023-daxihfyujng35ow5h3fll7tagy-story.html

18 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I remember this being mentioned a couple years or so back, but had not heard anything since. The lot at the corner of North Orange and West Robinson- next to Seacoast- "will feature a permanent food and beverage concept in the container section, as well as dedicated spaces for two food trucks. It will also serve as a venue for live performances and will feature giant video screen that would be elevated and angled so it could be visible from Orange Avenue. A second 19½-foot long, interactive LED video board would be at ground level, parallel to the bank building."

From Growthspotter- https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-art2-park-20201023-daxihfyujng35ow5h3fll7tagy-story.html

Would be a great addition to that corner. Hopefully it happens and not just another proposal that never sees the light of day.

18 minutes ago, smonteserin said:

I apologize, but I don’t know the name of this building on Orange ave between Church and South  but the work on upgrades to this plaza are underway. I think it has the restaurant “Latin corner” and is across from the Starbucks at the Grand Bohemian. 

4EC0AF93-9E7E-4E95-8A61-1F745B46FD95.jpeg

Well, it was The Park Building at SunTrust Center but heaven knows what we’re calling it this week. The green space was part of the deal with the city when Lincoln closed Beardall Park before the complex was built in the mid-80’s. Good to see them working on it even though the trees seem a little scrawny.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, it was The Park Building at SunTrust Center but heaven knows what we’re calling it this week. The green space was part of the deal with the city when Lincoln closed Beardall Park before the complex was built in the mid-80’s. Good to see them working on it even though the trees seem a little scrawny.

I'll take a scrawny tree that would hopefully grow into a mature one over another useless palm tree

• Like 4

The developer of the Sentinel property has filed demo permits. Interesting approach, per Growthspotter, "no one from his company has met with anyone in the city’s planning staff for a pre-application meeting".  Also, "the city would not process the demolition permit applications because the owner must first secure approvals from the city Appearance Review and Planning staff for the post-demolition condition of the property."

This looks very much like a plan to raze the land for buyers as opposed to for developing.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-downtown-demos-20201101-a3a6jua4obh3lm4ewheqfesvcq-story.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The developer of the Sentinel property has filed demo permits. Interesting approach, per Growthspotter, "no one from his company has met with anyone in the city’s planning staff for a pre-application meeting".  Also, "the city would not process the demolition permit applications because the owner must first secure approvals from the city Appearance Review and Planning staff for the post-demolition condition of the property."
This looks very much like a plan to raze the land for buyers as opposed to for developing.
https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-downtown-demos-20201101-a3a6jua4obh3lm4ewheqfesvcq-story.html

Who do we contact? I don’t live in this city commission district so I doubt my commissioner would care to get involved. I do think it’s important for the city to know residents are interested in keeping redevelopment of the more historic structures on this site (historic in the local sense, if not the formal sense).

I’ve always thought the original news room building was a spit & polish away from being super cool.
  • Like 2

When I first got involved with historic neighborhood redevelopment back in the early ‘80’s, I was told that you get the community you deserve and are willing to fight for. That’s certainly true when we look at places like Winter Garden, Winter Park and (DeLightful!) DeLand, and given some of the comments above, equally true for very different reasons of downtown Orlando. It could have been very different but we’ll all look forward to another 17 (almost 18!) years of bland mediocrity.

As for the Sentinel developer, I can’t say I blame him given that Buddy has aided and abetted his good buddies the DeVos family in clearing a block and doing...nothing. The developer probably assumes that’s the way we do things here in The City Beautiful these days.

Fortunately, St. Pete is leading the way on an interesting, organic downtown renaissance and Tampa, while taking the corporate route, has a local player with an actual interest in the city and both his and Bill Gates’ deep pockets. We, on the other hand, have the worst of both worlds - no support from the City to build from the ground up based on our heritage and inviting developers with no local ties to just build whatever maximizes their profits and leave town. 

Even Jacksonville seems to have been chastened by the debacle over the attempt at JEA privatization and the loss of a major historic gem at First Baptist. As a result, powerful local preservation groups in neighborhoods like Riverside/Avondale, San Marco and Springfield have realized that unless they encourage support for downtown, there may be nothing but a gaping hole left between those pristine preserved areas.

Only Orlando among the major Central and North Florida cities is content to sit on the sidelines.  Thanks to the Brown family, we’re even falling behind Daytona in developing some sort of vision for the city (on the mainland anyway), a feat I would have believed impossible just a few short years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

When I first got involved with historic neighborhood redevelopment back in the early ‘80’s, I was told that you get the community you deserve and are willing to fight for. That’s certainly true when we look at places like Winter Garden, Winter Park and (DeLightful!) DeLand, and given some of the comments above, equally true for very different reasons of downtown Orlando. It could have been very different but we’ll all look forward to another 17 (almost 18!) years of bland mediocrity.

As for the Sentinel developer, I can’t say I blame him given that Buddy has aided and abetted his good buddies the DeVos family in clearing a block and doing...nothing. The developer probably assumes that’s the way we do things here in The City Beautiful these days.

Fortunately, St. Pete is leading the way on an interesting, organic downtown renaissance and Tampa, while taking the corporate route, has a local player with an actual interest in the city and both his and Bill Gates’ deep pockets. We, on the other hand, have the worst of both worlds - no support from the City to build from the ground up based on our heritage and inviting developers with no local ties to just build whatever maximizes their profits and leave town. 

Even Jacksonville seems to have been chastened by the debacle over the attempt at JEA privatization and the loss of a major historic gem at First Baptist. As a result, powerful local preservation groups in neighborhoods like Riverside/Avondale, San Marco and Springfield have realized that unless they encourage support for downtown, there may be nothing but a gaping hole left between those pristine preserved areas.

Only Orlando among the major Central and North Florida cities is content to sit on the sidelines.  Thanks to the Brown family, we’re even falling behind Daytona in developing some sort of vision for the city (on the mainland anyway), a feat I would have believed impossible just a few short years ago.

I don't think the city can stop a demolition but I am not 100% sure. The comments in the article were about post demo conditions. Fencing, landscaping etc. You need all of those things approved to receive a demo permit. 

And what are we talking about here? The Sentinel building which is not part of this demo application, or the one on the corner of Amelia and Orange ave? 

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Good riddance to that building & loading dock - I hope they get rid of all of it!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/guest-commentary/os-op-jim-clark-sentinel-building-history-20201023-nwtudruon5fyldukpvsq6krada-story.html

I would like to know more about this before I say that.

"The departure leaves behind a mystery. When the addition was built in the 1960s, Andersen installed a tile mural in the lobby of a paperboy throwing a newspaper with a lightning bolt through it. For half-a-century, the mural was covered with carpet and discovered as the staff was exiting. No one knows its history, or why it was covered over."

If its the southern block I don't mind it all coming down.  That would be the 3 abandoned Classified, AMEC, and News 13 buildings.   The block is so blighted with those buildings and the empty Bellsouth next door.

Edited by codypet

19 hours ago, codypet said:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/guest-commentary/os-op-jim-clark-sentinel-building-history-20201023-nwtudruon5fyldukpvsq6krada-story.html

I would like to know more about this before I say that.

"The departure leaves behind a mystery. When the addition was built in the 1960s, Andersen installed a tile mural in the lobby of a paperboy throwing a newspaper with a lightning bolt through it. For half-a-century, the mural was covered with carpet and discovered as the staff was exiting. No one knows its history, or why it was covered over."

If its the southern block I don't mind it all coming down.  That would be the 3 abandoned Classified, AMEC, and News 13 buildings.   The block is so blighted with those buildings and the empty Bellsouth next door.

After seeing the mural, I still haven't changed my mind. I think I've seen better looking cave drawings. And if someone really wants to save the mural, I'm sure there are ways to remove the concrete in one piece. Is downtown Orlando's first escalator worth saving too??

spacer.png

If Buddy wants to slide me the keys to the bulldozer, I'll Git R Done myself in broad daylight :silly:

spacer.png

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Haha 1