Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Isn't this a great picture?

153766.jpg

"Two upcoming milestones of the Interstate 4 project in Downtown Orlando are a new ramp opening from South Street to westbound I-4 and another from Anderson Street to eastbound I-4. Both ramps will help ease daily commutes for many people working in the downtown central business district. The ramps will also provide easy access to and from the new Orlando Events Center under construction on the west side of I-4 between South and Church streets." -Trans4mation.org e-mail

153766.jpg

"Two upcoming milestones of the Interstate 4 project in Downtown Orlando are a new ramp opening from South Street to westbound I-4 and another from Anderson Street to eastbound I-4. Both ramps will help ease daily commutes for many people working in the downtown central business district. The ramps will also provide easy access to and from the new Orlando Events Center under construction on the west side of I-4 between South and Church streets." -Trans4mation.org e-mail

Isn't that the last of the ramps being open in this phase?

153766.jpg

this is a great photo. great angle.

very excited about these new ramps;

From a Trans4mation.org e-mail:

"Twenty-four months ago the piers for the ramp from westbound SR 408 to eastbound I-4 stood isolated from many of the local travelers. There were only a few signs that the ramp from eastbound I-4 to South Street had even begun."

154774.jpg

"Today two new ramps are providing major relief to traffic in Downtown Orlando. The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) anticipates opening the final two ramps for the interim interchange project by the end of the month. The ramp from Anderson Street to eastbound I-4 and the ramp from South Street to westbound I-4 could open as early as September 23, weather permitting."

154773.jpg

The future of I-4 in Downtown Orlando:

154220.jpg

From a Trans4mation.org e-mail:

The future of I-4 in Downtown Orlando:

154220.jpg

Looking at that photo I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that Downtown Orlando will ever seamlessly blend its east and west sides. There's nothing like a strip of asphalt to divide neighborhoods.

Edited by mrh3

^^

Downtown Orlando will always be bifurcated by expressways;

but the bridge district deal will go a long way for at least the Church St. corridor; perhaps Pine St. as well. Other than that, Ivanhoe and orange still connect well to College Park and the antique row area.

forget Parramore, though.

Yes, the Lymmo NS Connector is expected to connect the hospitals with downtown. I runs parallel with I-4 and the commuter rail.

I still think heavy commuter rail shouldn't have 2 stops in the CBD, especially with Lymmo available. It is heavy rail, not light rail / subway type trains. It seems like a waste to me.

154689.jpg

[A] South Street to westbound I-4 entrance ramp: This new ramp will ultimately become an extension of Hughey Avenue. Traffic from the new Orlando Events Center (under construction) and Orlando's downtown business district will have easy access to the interstate. Hughey Avenue will remain closed between Church and South streets while the events center is being constructed. This ramp will eliminate the need to detour traffic in downtown to the westbound I-4 entrance ramp at Gore Street.

Anderson Street to eastbound I-4 entrance ramp: This ramp will provide downtown traffic with easy access to eastbound I-4 while serving as an alternative to the entrance ramp from South Street to eastbound I-4. With this new ramp drivers can reach eastbound I-4 while avoiding delays caused by trains that pass through Orlando and block South Street.

[C] City Commons Parking Garage ramp to and from westbound Anderson Street: Downtown commuters who work at City Hall or one of the CNL Towers will have direct access to the third floor of the parking garage. Like the South Street entrance into the garage this driveway can only be used by vehicles with a garage transponder for pre-paid parking.

155355.jpg

The ramp from Anderson Street to the garage will be a right-turn-in, and right-turn-out driveway. That is, only westbound Anderson Street traffic will use the new garage ramp. Drivers coming from the west side of town will enter the garage from either Boone Avenue or South Street-as they do currently.

[D] Anderson Street westbound lanes from Rosalind Avenue to Division Avenue: The opening of the westbound lanes on Anderson Street will reduce the amount of traffic on South Street.

[E] South Street eastbound lanes from Magnolia Avenue to Division Avenue: The addition of eastbound lanes on South Street will reduce the amount of traffic on Anderson Street. Some of these eastbound lanes have been open since Fall 2007.

With the Anderson ramp connecting to I 4 in essentially the same spot as the 408 west to I 4 east ramp will we see a bottleneck there? Is the amount of traffic coming from Anderson St. enough to cause some congestion with oncoming 408 travelers? That could potentially be a hassle until the widening is complete.

With the Anderson ramp connecting to I 4 in essentially the same spot as the 408 west to I 4 east ramp will we see a bottleneck there? Is the amount of traffic coming from Anderson St. enough to cause some congestion with oncoming 408 travelers? That could potentially be a hassle until the widening is complete.

I'm no transportation expert, bu IMO, I'd say no. I bet you it will be underused. rarely do I see hordes of traffic on the I-4 WB to Anderson St. exit. People stick to what they know, and what people know is I-4 WB to SR 50, and I-4 EB to Amelia. I say great; it will make it that much easier for me when I'm coming and going from DT...

the South St. exit is rarely used from I-4 EB. granted, it's new. I thought there would be a bottleneck getting to the right lane b/c of the 408 ramp, but there's no problem there.

the South St. exit is rarely used from I-4 EB. granted, it's new.

That I-4 EB South Street exit will be a great asset in the future as the new arena and PAC open. It's already a great gateway into downtown but once we start having Magic games, concerts, and shows occuring nightly along South Street, I think we'll see that ramp get a lot of use. The ramp being extra long will also help to get all that traffic off of I-4 quickly and keep it from backing up onto the highway.

That I-4 EB South Street exit will be a great asset in the future as the new arena and PAC open. It's already a great gateway into downtown but once we start having Magic games, concerts, and shows occuring nightly along South Street, I think we'll see that ramp get a lot of use. The ramp being extra long will also help to get all that traffic off of I-4 quickly and keep it from backing up onto the highway.

Agreed.