Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

It's not like the Orlando Sentinel building looked good. Plus it was three, maybe four stories tops. It won't take much to be an improvement, visually, over the Orlando Sentinel building which contributed nothing to our skyline. I would be over-the-moon if a 9-12 story apartment building with ground floor retail gets built there similar to 420/520 Church.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

It's not like the Orlando Sentinel building looked good. Plus it was three, maybe four stories tops. It won't take much to be an improvement, visually, over the Orlando Sentinel building which contributed nothing to our skyline. I would be over-the-moon if a 9-12 story apartment building with ground floor retail gets built there similar to 420/520 Church.

No, the Orlando Sentinel building didn’t look great as it was given the current beige look in the late 1970’s - early 1980’s after an out of town corporation bought the paper. However, in its original 1950’s look it was a handsome building which showed the pride of publisher Martin Andersen who built it. Instead of restoring this major piece of Orlando history, we’re going to level it in favor of generic suburban meh from an out of town developer who is doing this for nothing but the money. And there’s no reason he shouldn’t because in Orlando we always cave to what out of town billionaires want instead of fighting for the history that gives cities a sense of place. Welcome to our Baker Barrios generic paradise.

48 minutes ago, codypet said:

I don't see the NS alleyway happening.  Unless it a garage through access like Court under the Plaza or State under Central Station.  Also you killed off NY subs!

That's a 60' r/w that would be signalized, not a small alley.  It could eventually poke its way north to connect to the quasi road located behind the 7s project.  Having three signals super close together and using some alternate pavement for this stretch would really slow cars down and make it feel like part of downtown.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

From what I’ve read Martin Andersen was not one to let a building stand in the way of Orlando’s progress, given he used the paper to bring major roadways right through Orlando.

That’s certainly true and if there were some grand plan for the site that would be one thing. But that’s not the case here at all. 

Edited by spenser1058

13 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s certainly true and if there were some grand plan for the site that would be one thing. But that’s not the case here at all. 

sounds like we need to start thinking...

I’ll start with a new museum district with a central courtyard and condo overbuilds themed after the museum 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, orange87 said:

I'd like to see a 50 story signature building, but if not that I'd like a version of SODO crossed with  The Yard with more height.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, F-L-A said:

If they're demolishing the Sentinel's entire operations, where are they moving? :dontknow:

They’re not. As Tribune just did with another of their papers in Hartford, they sell the building and the entire business is remote. The dead tree copies are printed by a third party. Having no newsroom at all is probably not advantageous to the long-term future of the publication, but when you’re owned by a PEF, long-term is the least of their concerns.

Most of the upper levels of management and more than a little of the reporting now comes from Ft. Lauderdale or elsewhere. Once folks like Scott Maxwell, Mike Bianchi and a few others leave, it will be a “local” paper in name only.

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I'd like to see a 50 story signature building, but if not that I'd like a version of SODO crossed with  The Yard with more height.

A 50-story building is a wet dream. Nothing like that will occur in downtown Orlando anytime soon. I can see something like that be erected in the tourism corridor though.

12 hours ago, F-L-A said:

If they're demolishing the Sentinel's entire operations, where are they moving? :dontknow:

They officially moved out back in August: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-sentinel-building-20200812-4244k6tmyjd7bopeiperamerom-story.html.

They outsourced printing in 2017. They were several months behind on rent and due to the epidemic employees were already working remotely. Covid was the final nail in the coffin.

Edited by nite owℓ

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

They officially moved out back in August: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-sentinel-building-20200812-4244k6tmyjd7bopeiperamerom-story.html.

They outsourced printing in 2017. They were several months behind on rent and due to the epidemic employees were already working remotely. Covid was the final nail in the coffin.

Tribune, however, is the only major publisher thus far to eschew a building completely. The Tampa Bay Times, for example, generally considered to be Florida’s best paper these days, did not. They did sell the building they had a while back and reduced the space they use within it.