Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

OBJ has a list of the downtown restaurant closures so far this year. 2020 Doing Business in Downtown: Orlando retailers, landlords uncertain when 'normal' will return - Orlando Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Shuttered

4 Rivers Smokehouse City Hall cafe

Ceviche Tapas Bar and Restaurant

Elize restaurant

Joysticks bar and arcade

Market on Magnolia, slated to close on Nov. 25

New Moon Market juice bar

Wahlburgers, well-known celebrity-owned burger joint

Delayed opening

Taco Bell Cantina

They left off Graffiti, Cinco Taco - or whatever that place was at Orange and Church and I think a few others, but that is a pretty sad list.

Over in TP Jax and Shari closed, Dexter's closed then sold to a new owner then never opened. And even Starbucks has reduced their hours.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, AmIReal said:

OBJ has a list of the downtown restaurant closures so far this year. 2020 Doing Business in Downtown: Orlando retailers, landlords uncertain when 'normal' will return - Orlando Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Shuttered

4 Rivers Smokehouse City Hall cafe

Ceviche Tapas Bar and Restaurant

Elize restaurant

Joysticks bar and arcade

Market on Magnolia, slated to close on Nov. 25

New Moon Market juice bar

Wahlburgers, well-known celebrity-owned burger joint

Delayed opening

Taco Bell Cantina

They left off Graffiti, Cinco Taco - or whatever that place was at Orange and Church and I think a few others, but that is a pretty sad list.

Over in TP Jax and Shari closed, Dexter's closed then sold to a new owner then never opened. And even Starbucks has reduced their hours.

Dandelion Cafe

Subway Downtown

Sette

Mesa 21

Luma in WP

From the sounds of it Maxine's might be coming if this keeps up

Then from a retail standpoint:

Lucky's and Earthfare

Edited by codypet

1 hour ago, steve_o said:

Think the Earthfare on Orange is re-opening.  

The reopening was announced back in September, but you'd think they'd hurry up and reopen to take advantage of the grocery retail boom. It was good to see the "lights on" again, but I wish they would announce a coming soon date or something.

783127833_earthfare.thumb.jpg.3ac9b1f567a2ba033c3cb98030461180.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ

27 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

The reopening was announced back in September, but you'd think they'd hurry up and reopen to take advantage of the grocery retail boom. It was good to see the "lights on" again, but I wish they would announce a coming soon date or something.

They were attempting to go from a PEF-controlled model back to the way things were beforehand. At the same time, one of the guys who ran things for the chain from the PEF was coming back along. Since the two models don’t really jive, my prediction has been there would be tension. That seems to be the case.

I’m also not convinced that location is ideal. It’s hardly pedestrian-friendly and that intersection is also less than ideal for vehicle access.

Publix also has ridiculous market share here so that’s a huge headwind for any grocer without the deepest of pockets. I’m waiting for them to prove me wrong.

57 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Lease buyout issues, but it seems to be forthcoming. They have moved a few additional items in over the past few weeks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

Add Marlow's Tavern and Steak and Shake to that list.

I think the OBJ list was CBD specific and I added the TP part. But, yes, you are correct- every part of the community is being impacted.

Some of these have a bright spot (I cringe at saying that since I'm not the owner of the "dying" business). Mesa has become Russel's and has gotten very favorable reviews. Dandelion will get a serious upgrade from the Kadence folks. Lucky's is returning. Word is Luma may be a national steak house and Luma will resurrect (maybe in the old Dexter's WP spot).

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I think the OBJ list was CBD specific and I added the TP part. But, yes, you are correct- every part of the community is being impacted.

Some of these have a bright spot (I cringe at saying that since I'm not the owner of the "dying" business). Mesa has become Russel's and has gotten very favorable reviews. Dandelion will get a serious upgrade from the Kadence folks. Lucky's is returning. Word is Luma may be a national steak house and Luma will resurrect (maybe in the old Dexter's WP spot).

It is?  I missed that!

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The TD Bank branch at the historic Metcalf Building is closing:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/12/14/td-bank-to-close-downtown-orlando-branch.html

From OBJ

I suspect that's why they added the ATM at the old Seacoast building.  Seems like the branches in Colonialtown and Sodo should cover the "in the bank" type business.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

I suspect that's why they added the ATM at the old Seacoast building.  Seems like the branches in Colonialtown and Sodo should cover the "in the bank" type business.

It’s sort of weird with that high visibility sign looking over Lake Eola they don’t have a branch in there. At least PNC does.

39 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

To be clear.  CMX has owned Cobb since 2017.  This is more of a rebranding than new ownership.  Similar to how FedEx kept the Kinkos name for 5+ years before retiring it.

It’s been interesting to watch the flux in the theater business and it’s likely to grow. Even before COVID-19, many of the chains went global (CMX is from Mexico, AMC’s primary owners are from China and Regal is based in the UK - those are the ones I know). The consent decrees that prevented studio ownership of theaters have also been rescinded (they never applied to Disney), so there is speculation they may enter the mix. Now, of course,  with Warner (owned by AT&T) deciding to release streaming versions of films on the same day as theater releases (it used to be up to 90 days later), it’s going to be a different world.

Meanwhile, from my good ol’ days at the Parkwood Cinema (with one huge screen when it opened in the early 60’s - soooo much better than the ‘70’s cineplexes that were nothing but sad little boxes only a teenager could love...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCAJt7HsqQ

Edited by spenser1058