Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

Co-working space e|spaces has opened in the new SunTrust building. 30,000 sq ft, 7th location in US. "The company counts Downtown Orlando Partnership among its first members. The DOP recently relocated its 5-member staff to the e|spaces location." per GS.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-espaces-lease-20210111-qjtxcqobb5czno73byhrx2yeke-story.html

• Like 1

More on Zebra and Park Lake Pres’ plan to convert a portion of the former Davis Park motel to transitional housing for young adults:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/01/15/zebra-coalition-downtown-motel-conversion.html?ana=maz

From OBJ

This is so important. If you live in Orlando, please put in a good word with Buddy or your commissioner to support this.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elefants said:

Does a demolition warrant a Ron Paul visit?

If I weren’t so sad about the newsroom being demolished, I’d say heck, yeah. The rest of the property should be prime for some great retail if someone sends up flares to the industry. Otoh, if all we get are a bunch more 3-story  stucco-on-plywood apartments, we’ll know to just call it a day and realize we should have gone along with Rich Crotty’s vision for Downtown Orange County.

No, I don't see this happening anytime soon, but per GS..."Orlando’s Municipal Planning Board unanimously approved the master plan for The Signature, a proposed 19-story mixed-use tower that will offer the city’s first large-scale co-living concept."

This is the lot next to the Grande at Rosalind and South and a few of their residents were none too pleased. Approved at 182 living units and 14k commercial space. Interestingly, "Initially, the developer was going to seek a density bonus and parking reduction in exchange for making 20% of the units affordable workforce housing. They ultimately decided not to seek any bonuses."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-mpb-signature-tower-20210119-yanwqacbh5flhherc2tbg3jdc4-story.html

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If I weren’t so sad about the newsroom being demolished, I’d say heck, yeah. The rest of the property should be prime for some great retail if someone sends up flares to the industry. Otoh, if all we get are a bunch more 3-story  stucco-on-plywood apartments, we’ll know to just call it a day and realize we should have gone along with Rich Crotty’s vision for Downtown Orange County.

I don't think the newsroom is coming down yet.  I think this is the block to the south.  The Classifieds, the AMEC building, and the old CFN 13 building.  All of which have been abandoned for years.  The newsroom got new landscaping a year ago and it appears its being used as least short term for things like offices for the Salvation Army.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, codypet said:

I don't think the newsroom is coming down yet.  I think this is the block to the south.  The Classifieds, the AMEC building, and the old CFN 13 building.  All of which have been abandoned for years.  The newsroom got new landscaping a year ago and it appears its being used as least short term for things like offices for the Salvation Army.

Driving by this morning, it is not the newsroom yet. It is the furthest south buildings directly across the street from the courthouse parking garage. 

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

No, I don't see this happening anytime soon, but per GS..."Orlando’s Municipal Planning Board unanimously approved the master plan for The Signature, a proposed 19-story mixed-use tower that will offer the city’s first large-scale co-living concept."

This is the lot next to the Grande at Rosalind and South and a few of their residents were none too pleased. Approved at 182 living units and 14k commercial space. Interestingly, "Initially, the developer was going to seek a density bonus and parking reduction in exchange for making 20% of the units affordable workforce housing. They ultimately decided not to seek any bonuses."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-mpb-signature-tower-20210119-yanwqacbh5flhherc2tbg3jdc4-story.html

This concept would have been much better suited for Creative Village. I like the concept, which allows for lower cost of living for younger professionals or those still in school that are willing to have multiple roommates. The design still does the whole "beige box" thing and is less than stellar, but a good concept for DT that will help to provide more affordable housing. 

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Driving by this morning, it is not the newsroom yet. It is the furthest south buildings directly across the street from the courthouse parking garage. 

This concept would have been much better suited for Creative Village. I like the concept, which allows for lower cost of living for younger professionals or those still in school that are willing to have multiple roommates. The design still does the whole "beige box" thing and is less than stellar, but a good concept for DT that will help to provide more affordable housing. 

Isn't Society co-living? Or did they change plans?

Society originally said they will have a mixture of options with Studio, One Bedroom, and 2-bedroom apartments options for a "Rent by bedroom program, those units come fully furnished, lock room door, you live in our own on-suite, bathroom, your own world inside your apartment. Really, it's just a fancy way of saying you have a roommate". 

Not sure if that changed with the updated plan. 

These are cheaper than a Society Studio price point they quoted. Both are more affordable than much of standard rental rates downtown. 

• Like 1

If this is going to be a thing, and since the city never actually acknowledges a, you know, plan for downtown, does this suggest now that it’s popping up in more than one place that by default the target market for the core is the younger end of the twenty-somethings? 

I don’t even necessarily object but if that’s the goal, it should change the types of stores and amenities downtown should be about. 

That leasing arrangement is similar to dorms and off campus apartments at UCF.  So I guess their aiming for that group who's used to it.  By the time most of these people leave UCF, they already have 2 or 3 people they are used to living with and would typically get a 2-3 bedroom together IMO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, codypet said:

That leasing arrangement is similar to dorms and off campus apartments at UCF.  So I guess their aiming for that group who's used to it.  By the time most of these people leave UCF, they already have 2 or 3 people they are used to living with and would typically get a 2-3 bedroom together IMO.

They'd be wise to rent out all rooms of the shared apartment (even if not occupied) to block anyone else from moving in, otherwise if one room is left "on the market" they could wind up living with a stranger. At that age, most people are transient so it's only a matter of time until a stranger moves in. All it takes is one bad apple to destroy morale & cause high turnover due to uncleanliness, obnoxious behavior, noisy parties, unwelcome/random guests, extended-stay significant others, etc. Safeguards need to be in place to protect good tenants. My first rental home after graduating high school was a mixture of friends and strangers - the latter caused most of the issues. I'm kinda particular about my standard of living and I prefer having peace of mind so that all plays a part of why I prefer to own rather than rent (among other reasons).

I'm sure most people are perfectly normal and can co-live together in complete bliss and harmony, but I'm a "plan for the worst and hope for the best" kind of guy. I automatically think of Puck from Real World lol.

Instead of the nightmare tenant being located in their own separate apartment down the corridor - just imagine the potential for a nightmare tenant to live inside of your apartment... :shok:

spacer.png

• Like 2