sunshine

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The TD Bank branch at the historic Metcalf Building is closing:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/12/14/td-bank-to-close-downtown-orlando-branch.html

From OBJ

I suspect that's why they added the ATM at the old Seacoast building.  Seems like the branches in Colonialtown and Sodo should cover the "in the bank" type business.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

I suspect that's why they added the ATM at the old Seacoast building.  Seems like the branches in Colonialtown and Sodo should cover the "in the bank" type business.

It’s sort of weird with that high visibility sign looking over Lake Eola they don’t have a branch in there. At least PNC does.

To be clear.  CMX has owned Cobb since 2017.  This is more of a rebranding than new ownership.  Similar to how FedEx kept the Kinkos name for 5+ years before retiring it.

39 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

To be clear.  CMX has owned Cobb since 2017.  This is more of a rebranding than new ownership.  Similar to how FedEx kept the Kinkos name for 5+ years before retiring it.

It’s been interesting to watch the flux in the theater business and it’s likely to grow. Even before COVID-19, many of the chains went global (CMX is from Mexico, AMC’s primary owners are from China and Regal is based in the UK - those are the ones I know). The consent decrees that prevented studio ownership of theaters have also been rescinded (they never applied to Disney), so there is speculation they may enter the mix. Now, of course,  with Warner (owned by AT&T) deciding to release streaming versions of films on the same day as theater releases (it used to be up to 90 days later), it’s going to be a different world.

Meanwhile, from my good ol’ days at the Parkwood Cinema (with one huge screen when it opened in the early 60’s - soooo much better than the ‘70’s cineplexes that were nothing but sad little boxes only a teenager could love...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCAJt7HsqQ

Edited by spenser1058

16 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Oh wow, you beat me to it (I took the pic this afternoon) lol. I was just thinking this project is taking a long time to wrap up.

Haha!  Maybe we were sitting at the same light at the same time taking photos. 

Facade and balcony renovation on North Magnolia building that has a couple restaurants in the GF.  It is across the street from the Post Office. 

• Thanks 2

Co-working space e|spaces has opened in the new SunTrust building. 30,000 sq ft, 7th location in US. "The company counts Downtown Orlando Partnership among its first members. The DOP recently relocated its 5-member staff to the e|spaces location." per GS.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-espaces-lease-20210111-qjtxcqobb5czno73byhrx2yeke-story.html

More on Zebra and Park Lake Pres’ plan to convert a portion of the former Davis Park motel to transitional housing for young adults:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/01/15/zebra-coalition-downtown-motel-conversion.html?ana=maz

From OBJ

This is so important. If you live in Orlando, please put in a good word with Buddy or your commissioner to support this.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elefants said:

Does a demolition warrant a Ron Paul visit?

If I weren’t so sad about the newsroom being demolished, I’d say heck, yeah. The rest of the property should be prime for some great retail if someone sends up flares to the industry. Otoh, if all we get are a bunch more 3-story  stucco-on-plywood apartments, we’ll know to just call it a day and realize we should have gone along with Rich Crotty’s vision for Downtown Orange County.

No, I don't see this happening anytime soon, but per GS..."Orlando’s Municipal Planning Board unanimously approved the master plan for The Signature, a proposed 19-story mixed-use tower that will offer the city’s first large-scale co-living concept."

This is the lot next to the Grande at Rosalind and South and a few of their residents were none too pleased. Approved at 182 living units and 14k commercial space. Interestingly, "Initially, the developer was going to seek a density bonus and parking reduction in exchange for making 20% of the units affordable workforce housing. They ultimately decided not to seek any bonuses."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-mpb-signature-tower-20210119-yanwqacbh5flhherc2tbg3jdc4-story.html

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If I weren’t so sad about the newsroom being demolished, I’d say heck, yeah. The rest of the property should be prime for some great retail if someone sends up flares to the industry. Otoh, if all we get are a bunch more 3-story  stucco-on-plywood apartments, we’ll know to just call it a day and realize we should have gone along with Rich Crotty’s vision for Downtown Orange County.

I don't think the newsroom is coming down yet.  I think this is the block to the south.  The Classifieds, the AMEC building, and the old CFN 13 building.  All of which have been abandoned for years.  The newsroom got new landscaping a year ago and it appears its being used as least short term for things like offices for the Salvation Army.

• Like 1