Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The Adele would be a mixed use, 330 unit development at the NW corner of Central and Westmoreland in Parramore. 

Also, just a block away (777 W. Central777 W. Central) is The Radius at Parramore. It’s a multi-phased redevelopment of the warehouse building that would include a gym, food hall, brewery, restaurant and coworking spaces and may include space for the future home of Orlando Brewing who sold their current brew house in SoDo to OH.

Lots of proposed activity in Parramore... https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-parramore-central-blvd-20210126-lzf5uguyzvgkvnlvuyok3efvea-story.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

Hey look, let's all overlook the fact this underdeveloped four block stretch of Central has four significant development proposals (five if you count the Triple Nipple). One of these will bring a large number of medical professionals and support staff, two will bring a large number of residents, one will include office space, 2 will bring recreational activities and retail and 2 of them are adaptive reuse of exiting buildings. If this were being discussed in another city some of you would be naming it a game changer.

But, yeah, they're brown.

Granted, I'm not overly confident in Adele happening and only slightly more certain of DXV. However, the Magic training facility is under construction and the 2 repurpose proposals- Triple Nipple and 777 W Central are pretty likely. 

The fact this section of Central is drawing this type of interest seems to me to be the bigger story.

I don't really mind the brown boxes at all.

I was just making facetious commentary on the modern practice of replicating design gimmicks in multiple buildings and in different cities.

I think they look OK compared to some of the other featureless, mid-rise shoe boxes we've gotten. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

centralandparramore.png

Not much.

No. That is the Terry and Central corner where DXV is planned. The "brown boxes" are the NW corner of Central and Westmoreland, where the Westartwalls are- a non-descript black wall facing Central with some very colorful murals on the side walls.

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

centralandparramore.png

Not much.

Wrong location. This is the block.

998482332_Screenshot2021-01-27204332.thumb.jpg.f066d5b13d4bdb3ab58721a3a8c0bd39.jpg

Looks like its mostly a place called Westartwalls. The graffiti there is honestly beautiful. I might drop by sometime to take a look. Facebook: Westartdistrict - Home | Facebook

They look to be a City of Orlando project, so I wonder what happened that caused them to sell the property. Honestly, this seems like a block that doesn't really need the kind of redevelopment that The Adele is.

EDIT: @AmIReal looks like we had the same thought at the same time. haha

Edited by WAJAS

13 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

No. That is the Terry and Central corner where DXV is planned. The "brown boxes" are the NW corner of Central and Westmoreland, where the Westartwalls are- a non-descript black wall facing Central with some very colorful murals on the side walls.

9 minutes ago, WAJAS said:

Wrong location. This is the block.

Looks like its mostly a place called Westartwalls. The graffiti there is honestly beautiful. I might drop by sometime to take a look. Facebook: Westartdistrict - Home | Facebook

They look to be a City of Orlando project, so I wonder what happened that caused them to sell the property. Honestly, this seems like a block that doesn't really need the kind of redevelopment that The Adele is.

EDIT: @AmIReal looks like we had the same thought at the same time. haha

Didn't see the location description in AIR's post, and I only read the location in the link because the page the link was to has a paywall.

My bad.

58 minutes ago, WAJAS said:

looks like we had the same thought at the same time

Well... great minds... you know. At least we disagree on the block needing redevelopment of this type. Although the artwork is really, really good it was never intended to be permanent although I'm sure the artist may feel differently. It came about as a grant form the City and a change in City laws, but it was always on borrowed time on a rental property. I love the artwork, but as a more practical matter would more appreciate a usable building.

46 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

My bad.

After railing on everyone's view of this project I realized I did not give a very complete synopsis of a paywalled site.

So, my bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:28 AM, AmIReal said:

Hey look, let's all overlook the fact this underdeveloped four block stretch of Central has four significant development proposals (five if you count the Triple Nipple). One of these will bring a large number of medical professionals and support staff, two will bring a large number of residents, one will include office space, 2 will bring recreational activities and retail and 2 of them are adaptive reuse of exiting buildings. If this were being discussed in another city some of you would be naming it a game changer.

But, yeah, they're brown.

Granted, I'm not overly confident in Adele happening and only slightly more certain of DXV. However, the Magic training facility is under construction and the 2 repurpose proposals- Triple Nipple and 777 W Central are pretty likely. 

The fact this section of Central is drawing this type of interest seems to me to be the bigger story.

Very true. I have been spending the last few weeks in Chicago, and although there are the typical iconic architectural landmarks being developed in and around the Loop/Downtown areas, drive a few minutes into the neighborhoods and EVERY multi-family residential development is a brown box looking like it came from the same developer. Very similar to this.

This draw into the western side is certainly a bigger story. Underutilized lots, and properties will give the city more revenue, but like Chicago, the story of gentrification and perhaps a "whitewashing" of the western downtown Orlando neighborhoods also worries me.  

• Like 3

On 1/26/2021 at 7:38 PM, AmIReal said:

The Adele would be a mixed use, 330 unit development at the NW corner of Central and Westmoreland in Parramore. 

Also, just a block away (777 W. Central777 W. Central) is The Radius at Parramore. It’s a multi-phased redevelopment of the warehouse building that would include a gym, food hall, brewery, restaurant and coworking spaces and may include space for the future home of Orlando Brewing who sold their current brew house in SoDo to OH.

Lots of proposed activity in Parramore... https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-parramore-central-blvd-20210126-lzf5uguyzvgkvnlvuyok3efvea-story.html

Gonna put the 777 plan at about 0% since Timothy Green is nothing more than a con man who is more likely to be in prison soon than complete this project.  To not even do basic background like that is just so sad of the Sentinel. His court records are vast and easy to find.

9 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Gonna put the 777 plan at about 0% since Timothy Green is nothing more than a con man who is more likely to be in prison soon than complete this project.  To not even do basic background like that is just so sad of the Sentinel. His court records are vast and easy to find.

Yeah, I can't disagree with you on Green, but somehow his 534 kitchen is still up and going- even through the pandemic and he does seem to be the minor player in this. I don't know anything about Luporini other than he does seem to partner with a business that wants to open gyms. If Orlando Brewing signs on this will likely happen. 

5 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Yeah, I can't disagree with you on Green, but somehow his 534 kitchen is still up and going- even through the pandemic and he does seem to be the minor player in this. I don't know anything about Luporini other than he does seem to partner with a business that wants to open gyms. If Orlando Brewing signs on this will likely happen. 

Yeah that guy has almost zero online presence outside of his half of a website and a business that closed in CO 5 years ago. I just don't think reputable people work with shady con men. He has like 4 eviction cases going on against him right now for his stuff in Parramore, hes a blight on Orlando. 534 will close as soon as those cases are resolved. The courts being closed helped him there.

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Yeah that guy has almost zero online presence outside of his half of a website and a business that closed in CO 5 years ago. I just don't think reputable people work with shady con men. He has like 4 eviction cases going on against him right now for his stuff in Parramore, hes a blight on Orlando. 534 will close as soon as those cases are resolved. The courts being closed helped him there.

Well at least they brought in a top notch architect... oh, wait... https://nyatasadesign.com/projects/

Wasn't Green behind the pitch for Green Tree development in Parramore that never happened? And didn't Green Tree also pitch something in the general Windemere area?  I think it was lux waterfront houses.

I can tell you how he does it. He plays the minority ownership game really well and he gets partners to front his concepts. He then pitches to the business press, which fully promote his pitches. He is very good at marketing his brand/ self regardless of outcome.

On the bright side, the building 534 is in looks good. I'll give him credit for that.

• 2 weeks later...