Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Coming Soon: more on-street EV charging stations downtown. These two are located on Rosalind Ave (northwest lawn, just south of Fifth Third Bank). Not sure how I feel about on-street charging stations because there's always some miscreant who will vandalize/mess with your private property for sh.ts and giggles. I think I'd prefer to see charging stations located within private or secured lots.

1362422049_EVStation.thumb.jpg.4fa0f9093cc673203881339c7d6841f5.jpg

P.S. The flower beds have been looking like a hot mess for the past 1.5 years now (so the city can't blame it on budget cutbacks due to the epidemic). I've noticed the city has been using a different landscaping company for flower installations and this new company seems to have ZERO creativity. The flowers die very quickly and they barely even install mosaics anymore :tw_cry: The flowers installed by the old company would last a really long time and would eventually become overgrown and full-looking (which I liked), only to be removed and replaced with a new mosaic every 6+ months or so. I'm sure if the city would've allowed the old flower bed from 2+ years ago to grow, it would still look better than this low quality crap which was installed only a few months ago.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

SIAP - 500 N Orange is again submitting a master plan to the city for renovation including an integrated parking garage 

Odd. As I recall they  moved away from a reno and committed to a long-term lease with a government agency. I wonder if the lease fell through.

18 hours ago, Jernigan said:

SIAP - 500 N Orange is again submitting a master plan to the city for renovation including an integrated parking garage 

I really really really want that reno to happen.  It would finally start joining NQ to CBD.  You'd actually have a complete streetwall on the west side of Orange once Society and this is complete.

11 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Bye bye Sorosis Club.

What happened?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

Bye bye Sorosis Club.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-sorosis-club-orlando-building-for-sale-20210327-ghfw3fq6qval7c3uveikz2ak74-story.html

"The Sorosis of Orlando Woman’s Club is selling its historic building near downtown Orlando after the COVID-19 pandemic “devastated” its income — forcing the cancellation of weddings, meetings and events that brought in rental fees for maintenance and scholarships that the 100-plus-year-old club gave to high school students."

41 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I hope the building is protected.

But then again, I suppose given it's location away from the CBD, there is little chance someone will want to knock it down to put up a high rise.

I just hope it doesn't get demo'd to make way for some cheesy condos. 

Eola Heights would have their own historic requirements, but I think this building was built in the 70s so I don't believe it would be covered. I can't see it being left standing as is unless a church or a school buys it or someone wants to convert it to office space. Anything built in place of it would need to meet Eola Heights historic board review.

8 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Eola Heights would have their own historic requirements, but I think this building was built in the 70s so I don't believe it would be covered. I can't see it being left standing as is unless a church or a school buys it or someone wants to convert it to office space. Anything built in place of it would need to meet Eola Heights historic board review.

I guess I misread the quoted portion of the article where it referenced the "...its historic building..." and "... 100-plus-year-old club ...".

I read that as meaning both the club and the building. 

Still, it's a good looking building that fits nicely into the surrounding neighborhood, so I hope whoever buys it keeps it the way it is.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I guess I misread the quoted portion of the article where it referenced the "...its historic building..." and "... 100-plus-year-old club ...".

I read that as meaning both the club and the building. 

Still, it's a good looking building that fits nicely into the surrounding neighborhood, so I hope whoever buys it keeps it the way it is.

I admit I was stumped about the “historic”part of it also. That building has been used by a lot of service clubs and political groups (like the Orange Democrats) over the years and in my visits nothing about it has made me feel I was in anything from way back.

So, I’m with @AmIReal on its possible age. I like the brick exterior and, as @JFW657 notes, it fits in nicely with the ‘hood, mostly because of the scale. Other than that, I’m ok with a possible replacement.

1 hour ago, ucfpatriot18 said:

500 N orange renderings. 

9E5027E6-95C7-438E-B3A4-DE4CE9735511.jpeg

EC5960A7-DD33-4CE0-ADF5-5CD88B51F3C3.jpeg

What?  A Baker Design with no Visor?   Also this looks like something in Lake Mary, but hell I'll take it considering its a building that's not coming down and it would activate that block.  Also I expect the City to scoff at the garage again despite the Courthouse having a similar style garage.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I do wonder how many versions we’re gonna get, though, before something sticks.

I can't imagine an update that gets VE'd further.  This is about as plain as it gets, it's gotta be what we end up with.

I'm disappointed they didn't stick with the previous plan.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, elefants said:

I can't imagine an update that gets VE'd further.  This is about as plain as it gets, it's gotta be what we end up with.

I'm disappointed they didn't stick with the previous plan.

What happened to the GSE?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, codypet said:

Also I expect the City to scoff at the garage again despite the Courthouse having a similar style garage.

Good call...

City board pans design of new parking garage on N. Orange Avenue

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-arb-wssa-20210416-tuu2hotc2bff5kdqsl4b4et65a-story.html

"Orlando’s Appearance Review Board praised the latest redesign of the former AT&T building at 500 N. Orange Ave., but the developer’s request to build a bunker-like parking garage on the vacant lot next door drew a different reaction."... “I find this garage overwhelming,”... " It feels like it’s swallowing the street” 

The article says the building is leased to a gov't agency dealing with immigration and security is an added layer to design- one of the reasons street level retail was eliminated.  

• Like 1