Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

On 3/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, JFW657 said:

That's about as plain as Jane gets.

It got Orlando'd. 

Basic Barrios strikes again.

Hopefully the ARB sends Baker Barrios back to the drawing board:

ARB Chairman Patrick Panza asked Baker Barrios to come up with options to address the “sheer unbrokenness of that pedestrian experience” for virtually the entire block between Amelia and Concord streets. “There’s a lot of frontage where there’s essentially nothing going on, and I think that that’s problematic for the location of this building,” Panza said. “Of course we’re gonna have to be sensitive to the use of the building — that’s a reality. But I think there needs to be some more effort put in here.” He also requested additional views that would show the garage as it abuts the former Firestone building, a historic landmark building that recently reopened as The Vanguard music venue.

Edited by nite owℓ

Honestly if the agency needs to be that secure, they can go to the burbs.  It’s called a LULU (locally unwanted land use) and we wouldn’t want a power plant, prison or scrap yard downtown unless they can conform to code.  Especially for a tenant lease!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Honestly if the agency needs to be that secure, they can go to the burbs.  It’s called a LULU (locally unwanted land use) and we wouldn’t want a power plant, prison or scrap yard downtown unless they can conform to code.  Especially for a tenant lease!

Disagree.  As far as I'm concerned, the more office workers downtown the better and that building has gone without a tenant forever.  If they added a sort of art installation on the ground level of the parking garage, say some display cases with rotating local art or even stuff from OMA to act as a sort of advertisement, I think it would be just fine.

• Like 1

A commercial space can be built completely self-contained without any access into the main building, so I don't understand what their security issue is. The gov agency should have to compromise if they want to be located in an urban area on the main drag or maybe they can take over the vacant floors in Suntrust/BofA towers. The last thing we need is another non-activated block similar to the other AT&T building. Sure, getting more office workers in the CBD is nice -- but other than going out for lunch, the office workers don't linger downtown very long and they tend to get the hell out of dodge when the office closes. Also, I'm not sure what's so special about preserving this building as it is a non-contributing structure, I'd much rather see a residential highrise there in the future.

Edited by nite owℓ

On 8/5/2020 at 7:46 AM, spenser1058 said:

The Great Greek coming to Skyhouse:

https://www.thedailycity.com/news

From The Daily City 

Good to see something a tad different over there.

They're finally here!  :tw_love:

They opened April 12th... I've been a couple times already and tried several items on the menu. They will become one of my go-to restaurants and hopefully they get enough business to stay open (they seemed very busy during lunch a few days ago).

According to the Orlando Weekly, their grand opening will be this Sunday 4/19/21 with prizes and other enticements: https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2021/04/13/great-greek-mediterranean-grill-opens-new-location-in-downtown-orlando?mc_cid=6bddf37bee&mc_eid=7576e8cdd7

122198078_TheGreatGreek.thumb.jpg.30f3e8327ec6b66c3c145141c33d2fbb.jpg

@spenser1058 It sounds like you'll be getting a Great Greek Mediterranean Grill in your neck of the woods too: https://www.jacksonville.com/story/entertainment/dining/2021/04/15/great-greek-mediterranean-grill-plans-first-jacksonville-restaurant-st-johns/7135946002/

• Like 4

I hope this lasts long enough for the apartments and hotel across the street to open up. 

This is a really ODD space for a restaurant. It is one of the reasons why I predicted the previous iterations to fail despite pretty good food. (Bowl place after the pizza place)

Really odd space and probably upkeep costs, though that may be mitigated with the recent vacancy. Maybe the owner charging less for rent just to keep a tenant now. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 4:16 PM, nite owℓ said:

They're finally here!  :tw_love:

They opened April 12th... I've been a couple times already and tried several items on the menu. They will become one of my go-to restaurants and hopefully they get enough business to stay open (they seemed very busy during lunch a few days ago).

went yesterday with some co-workers, i tried the gyro with chicken and side of fries.. and it was pretty good:tw_star: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W7edwin said:

went yesterday with some co-workers, i tried the gyro with chicken and side of fries.. and it was pretty good:tw_star: 

Curious, do you guys work downtown? I liked the falafel pita - not much of a meat eater myself although the traditional gyro was pretty good.

On 4/18/2021 at 6:23 PM, dcluley98 said:

I hope this lasts long enough for the apartments and hotel across the street to open up. 

This is a really ODD space for a restaurant. It is one of the reasons why I predicted the previous iterations to fail despite pretty good food. (Bowl place after the pizza place)

Really odd space and probably upkeep costs, though that may be mitigated with the recent vacancy. Maybe the owner charging less for rent just to keep a tenant now. 

I like the odd space because since it's not directly on Rosalind Ave, you can sit outside on the patio and have a peaceful meal and not bear the full brunt of traffic. Also, they have so many convenient parking spaces nearby on the Magnolia cul-de-sac (https://goo.gl/maps/VP8mvhKcJKbFrznq8) which makes getting in & out a breeze for people who don't live in the area who drive to get there.

Edited by nite owℓ

5 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I like the odd space because since it's not directly on Rosalind Ave, you can sit outside on the patio and have a peaceful meal and not bear the full brunt of traffic. Also, they have so many convenient parking spaces nearby on the Magnolia cul-de-sac (https://goo.gl/maps/VP8mvhKcJKbFrznq8) which makes getting in & out a breeze for people who don't live in the area who drive to get there.

Couple things...They took some spots out to make food truck parking.  Has a food truck ever posted up there?   Also how is sitting outside with all the homeless there?  Is it a problem being harassed while eating?

9 minutes ago, codypet said:

Couple things...They took some spots out to make food truck parking.  Has a food truck ever posted up there?   Also how is sitting outside with all the homeless there?  Is it a problem being harassed while eating?

I haven't seen any homeless people hanging out around there while they've been open. Usually quite a few patrons are already sitting outside. I've only been twice though...

I had no idea parking spaces were removed for food trucks... that's interesting. Where would they park? I don't live at Skyhouse so maybe someone else might know more about it.

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Curious, do you guys work downtown? I liked the falafel pita - not much of a meat eater myself although the traditional gyro was pretty good.

Yep I started an internship in February so I've been discovering the eateries around here thanks to my coworkers lol. I tried the Super Rico Colombian Bistro on W Central Blvd  and already tried Tacos El Rancho on n Orange  

its hard for me to try new things cz im indecisive so I chose the chicken gyro to call it safe so I was surprised at how good it was 

Edited by W7edwin

15 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I had no idea parking spaces were removed for food trucks... that's interesting. Where would they park? I don't live at Skyhouse so maybe someone else might know more about it.

image.thumb.png.5a0748922a3c9cf79e81c9bad5fbea7a.png

These 4 spaces are now for food trucks only.  I don't think there's any to go parking, but you pretty much can stand for like 10 mins on Palmetto in front of Skyhouse and people don't give you too hard a time.  When Rukus has a class, finding parking is a little tough though.

Edited by codypet

I haven't seen a food truck parked there yet, but would make a bit more sense now with the courthouse, skyhouse, hotel, and radius. For a while there in the pandemic, it was just the subway still open.  I think the greek restaurant will have more chance of success with more potential customers coming in on this stretch of Livingston! 

The difference being this is a passion project for Interstruct who are actually architects, as well as the developer. They want to use their headquarters and this development as a living advertisement for the services they can provide and a stepping stone for future development. It is really great to see for Orlando/Parramore. Having Interstruct do this is big news, as it will likely lead to similar infill development and adaptive re-use/fit-out projects in downtown and Parramore.  This design-build firm designs things with purposeful architecture and adaptive re-use is one of their passions. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-interstruct-hq-parramore-orlando-appearance-board-20210121-dm65sjlp6rc4lelmv66hwghcpe-story.html

Orlando’s Appearance Review Board approved final renderings of Interstruct’s new office building, in January. Plans show a contemporary-style design that alters the original concrete block construction and incorporates a Japanese carbonized wood finish and a rhythmic steel-framed screen at the top of the building. New canopies and aluminum storefront framing are also incorporated.

Interstruct CEO Ryan Young told GrowthSpotter the exterior improvements will cost around $500,000. With the approvals in the bag, the company plans to apply for the city’s facade improvement grant by the end of the month, he adds.

“We are excited to be part of the Parramore community,” he said. The firm has been actively participating in neighborhood events by partnering with local activist and events planner Jennifer Desire.

“This building has had a solid facade for decades,” the narrative said. “However, the original facade has character and maintains a stepped roof parapet that was a common Art Deco architectural element during the time period.”

Inspired by the geometry of the structural systems exposed during demo, the firm began to centralize a design scheme for the entire project. “This exposed structure on the interior became the prominent feature of the building,” Young said in the narrative. “And allowed us to formalize the design aesthetic for the exterior, ultimately resulting in a more architecturally thoughtful building.”

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Interstruct Headquarters and New Office Building Development:  https://interstructinc.com/portfolio/parramore-infill-development/

Interstruct announced last year that they plan an Adaptive Reuse renovation of the old 1940s Warehouse at 814 West Church Street for their new headquarters.

FINAL-Option-10-Perspective.thumb.jpg.5d125a654d3de44a2af03945c6b23970.jpg

FINAL-Option-10-East.thumb.jpg.4f7feb51ec5ae30653804a6693a44b82.jpg

FINAL-Option-10-Entry-Perspective.thumb.jpg.18cdbc124cc2672c701adf01c8bfc71a.jpg

Courtyard-Rendering-814-W-Church-St.thumb.jpg.4702cbd5a4dbb45f25e509a5422986cd.jpg

They have released renderings and last month announced an additional 3-story modern office  building to be developed adjacent to their headquarters at 802 West Church Street.  The 11,527 SF office building will have a glass and steel facade and ground floor retail.  The building will feature a cantilevered modern steel structure and glass curtainwall on the upper floors. This will be one block west of Exploria Stadium west of the retention pond they did for mitigation of the stadium. 

https://interstructinc.com/portfolio/parramore-infill-redevelopment-802-w-church-street/

https://www.facebook.com/interstructinc/videos/1012252309305368/

The MPB report his here:  https://orlando.novusagenda.com/AgendaWeb/AttachmentViewer.ashx?AttachmentID=104300&ItemID=55971

871377046_PagesfromMPL2021-10008_Staff_Report.thumb.jpg.c08d47b27999c99953a68b350111aadc.jpg

802wchurchst.jpg

802 W. Church St.

814wchurchst.jpg

814  W. Church St.

• Like 3

Didn't they just paint a mural on that building? I like the new development plans, but it's a shame to lose street art...

847612073_Parramoremural.jpg.1bfd627c7e407756ebcc58ffaa6a20b8.jpg

Source: Facebook

Story behind the mural: https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2021/01/14/justice-for-all--mural-is-orlando-artists--labor-of-love

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

The building over there I regret losing is the Hughes Supply at 521 W. Central Blvd. Not only did it have a huge warehouse in the back (brick and block, not metal), but the c-suite on the second floor facing Central was amazing.

Right up until they moved the execs over to 20 N Orange, their offices remained something out of a Mad Men set.

There also was a stainless steel diner across the street whose owner sadly was about as enlightened as the FL House members have been in the last week about change. It was another battleground in Orlando’s struggle for civil rights.