Jump to content

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion


Recommended Posts

The difference being this is a passion project for Interstruct who are actually architects, as well as the developer. They want to use their headquarters and this development as a living advertisement for the services they can provide and a stepping stone for future development. It is really great to see for Orlando/Parramore. Having Interstruct do this is big news, as it will likely lead to similar infill development and adaptive re-use/fit-out projects in downtown and Parramore.  This design-build firm designs things with purposeful architecture and adaptive re-use is one of their passions. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-interstruct-hq-parramore-orlando-appearance-board-20210121-dm65sjlp6rc4lelmv66hwghcpe-story.html

Orlando’s Appearance Review Board approved final renderings of Interstruct’s new office building, in January. Plans show a contemporary-style design that alters the original concrete block construction and incorporates a Japanese carbonized wood finish and a rhythmic steel-framed screen at the top of the building. New canopies and aluminum storefront framing are also incorporated.

Interstruct CEO Ryan Young told GrowthSpotter the exterior improvements will cost around $500,000. With the approvals in the bag, the company plans to apply for the city’s facade improvement grant by the end of the month, he adds.

“We are excited to be part of the Parramore community,” he said. The firm has been actively participating in neighborhood events by partnering with local activist and events planner Jennifer Desire.

“This building has had a solid facade for decades,” the narrative said. “However, the original facade has character and maintains a stepped roof parapet that was a common Art Deco architectural element during the time period.”

Inspired by the geometry of the structural systems exposed during demo, the firm began to centralize a design scheme for the entire project. “This exposed structure on the interior became the prominent feature of the building,” Young said in the narrative. “And allowed us to formalize the design aesthetic for the exterior, ultimately resulting in a more architecturally thoughtful building.”

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Interstruct Headquarters and New Office Building Development:  https://interstructinc.com/portfolio/parramore-infill-development/

Interstruct announced last year that they plan an Adaptive Reuse renovation of the old 1940s Warehouse at 814 West Church Street for their new headquarters.

FINAL-Option-10-Perspective.thumb.jpg.5d125a654d3de44a2af03945c6b23970.jpg

FINAL-Option-10-East.thumb.jpg.4f7feb51ec5ae30653804a6693a44b82.jpg

FINAL-Option-10-Entry-Perspective.thumb.jpg.18cdbc124cc2672c701adf01c8bfc71a.jpg

Courtyard-Rendering-814-W-Church-St.thumb.jpg.4702cbd5a4dbb45f25e509a5422986cd.jpg

They have released renderings and last month announced an additional 3-story modern office  building to be developed adjacent to their headquarters at 802 West Church Street.  The 11,527 SF office building will have a glass and steel facade and ground floor retail.  The building will feature a cantilevered modern steel structure and glass curtainwall on the upper floors. This will be one block west of Exploria Stadium west of the retention pond they did for mitigation of the stadium. 

https://interstructinc.com/portfolio/parramore-infill-redevelopment-802-w-church-street/

https://www.facebook.com/interstructinc/videos/1012252309305368/

The MPB report his here:  https://orlando.novusagenda.com/AgendaWeb/AttachmentViewer.ashx?AttachmentID=104300&ItemID=55971

 

871377046_PagesfromMPL2021-10008_Staff_Report.thumb.jpg.c08d47b27999c99953a68b350111aadc.jpg

802wchurchst.jpg

802 W. Church St.

814wchurchst.jpg

814  W. Church St.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it!  Reminds me of the Barton Malow building rework in the Milk

OMG I just thought about the stairs and all those homeless people.  Right now OCSC barricades their steps for that reason.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The building over there I regret losing is the Hughes Supply at 521 W. Central Blvd. Not only did it have a huge warehouse in the back (brick and block, not metal), but the c-suite on the second floor facing Central was amazing.

Right up until they moved the execs over to 20 N Orange, their offices remained something out of a Mad Men set.

There also was a stainless steel diner across the street whose owner sadly was about as enlightened as the FL House members have been in the last week about change. It was another battleground in Orlando’s struggle for civil rights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For much of our history, Orange County (and, more recently, Orlando) has replaced or added on to its main public buildings every 35 years or so. 

The Courthouse and Orlando City Hall were both built in the 1990’s and would be approaching the 30+ year mark within the next few years. However, both were built with room to grow (the Courthouse had unused floors built and City Hall, in a unique public/private partnership with CNL, set up a deal where over time, the city occupies more and more of the office buildings which flank the original domed municipal building).

Otoh, the Orange County Administration Center, built in the early ‘80’s, long ago outgrew the needs of a prosperous county. The Republican-controlled county commission of those years loved perpetuating the fiction they were keeping government small by never replacing the “Brick Bunker”. In fact, they bought nondescript midrises along South St. and sent other parts of county government spreading across the county. One was indeed fortunate if one actually knew where the offices of the Tax Collector or the Supervisor of Elections were located.

As a blue county that no longer believes government is a four-letter word, we have an opportunity to once again provide a convenient facility downtown (which, after all is pretty much in the middle of the county) that could house many of these departments within easy reach of each other and at a place citizens wouldn’t have to rely on GPS to find.

As in the case of the courthouse and City Hall, it would also be possible to build something unique downtown we could all be proud of instead of the moribund dreck that is being constructed by out-of-town developers who could care less what the community is stuck with for thirty years so long as they maximize their profit.

Interestingly, because rhe county has no profit motive, it could house the offices in an attractive setting at little more than county offices are currently paying to house themselves in third rate office parks hidden away in nondescript areas of the county.

It’s worth looking into as we are now well into the 21st century. In fact, with the digital services that are now the norm and a headcount that is growing more slowly, it might cost little more (adjusted for inflation) than it did in the ‘80’s when we had a smaller population.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Always cracked me up that I had to drive to the Millenia to have meetings with the Public Works division, but you're right the supervisor of elections being in some warehouse on Kaley or those offices next to Channel 9, it is all kind of a mess.  The have the lot east of them to build Phase I of a campus and the current lot as Phase II.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

For much of our history, Orange County (and, more recently, Orlando) has replaced or added on to its main public buildings every 35 years or so. 

The Courthouse and Orlando City Hall were both built in the 1990’s and would be approaching the 30+ year mark within the next few years. However, both were built with room to grow (the Courthouse had unused floors built and City Hall, in a unique public/private partnership with CNL, set up a deal where over time, the city occupies more and more of the office buildings which flank the original domed municipal building).

Otoh, the Orange County Administration Center, built in the early ‘80’s, long ago outgrew the needs of a prosperous county. The Republican-controlled county commission of those years loved perpetuating the fiction they were keeping government small by never replacing the “Brick Bunker”. In fact, they bought nondescript midrises along South St. and sent other parts of county government spreading across the county. One was indeed fortunate if one actually knew where the offices of the Tax Collector or the Supervisor of Elections were located.

As a blue county that no longer believes government is a four-letter word, we have an opportunity to once again provide a convenient facility downtown (which, after all is pretty much in the middle of the county) that could house many of these departments within easy reach of each other and at a place citizens wouldn’t have to rely on GPS to find.

As in the case of the courthouse and City Hall, it would also be possible to build something unique downtown we could all be proud of instead of the moribund dreck that is being constructed by out-of-town developers who could care less what the community is stuck with for thirty years so long as they maximize their profit.

Interestingly, because rhe county has no profit motive, it could house the offices in an attractive setting at little more than county offices are currently paying to house themselves in third rate office parks hidden away in nondescript areas of the county.

It’s worth looking into as we are now well into the 21st century. In fact, with the digital services that are now the norm and a headcount that is growing more slowly, it might cost little more (adjusted for inflation) than it did in the ‘80’s when we had a smaller population.

 

 

 

 

 


 

It works us on these message boards but the majority of the people are spread out all over the County. The admin building will always be in the center of the largest city but spreading everything else out helps the majority of the residents. 

I have to meet at these non distinct sad buildings in BFE but I get why they do it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jack said:

It works us on these message boards but the majority of the people are spread out all over the County. The admin building will always be in the center of the largest city but spreading everything else out helps the majority of the residents. 

I have to meet at these non distinct sad buildings in BFE but I get why they do it. 

Seems like if convenience was the reasoning behind it, there would be multiple agencies at each outlying location instead of one county office at one location, another county office across town somewhere and another across town the other direction.

It's convenient for people in the same part of town who need to visit the particular office they live near, but massively inconvenient for everyone else.

If convenience were really the goal, they'd have to either centralize everything or make every county office available at each satellite location.

I'm guessing it has more to do with where they were able to find the cheapest rent.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

For much of our history, Orange County (and, more recently, Orlando) has replaced or added on to its main public buildings every 35 years or so. 

The Courthouse and Orlando City Hall were both built in the 1990’s and would be approaching the 30+ year mark within the next few years. However, both were built with room to grow (the Courthouse had unused floors built and City Hall, in a unique public/private partnership with CNL, set up a deal where over time, the city occupies more and more of the office buildings which flank the original domed municipal building).

As a latecomer (not arriving until the mid 2000s) it has struck me that the lot between CNL I and City Commons garage looks to be a site planned for development, otherwise it seems like it would have recieved some better fixtures and finishes.  I know the county already owns the site if the current admin building (and garage across the street) but this seems like the perfect place for another major government building. 

Do you know what was planned for that site?
 

 

Capture City Backyard.PNG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm guessing it has more to do with where they were able to find the cheapest rent.

In the case of the public works building it was probably where they had surplus land lying around.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

As a latecomer (not arriving until the mid 2000s) it has struck me that the lot between CNL I and City Commons garage looks to be a site planned for development, otherwise it seems like it would have recieved some better fixtures and finishes.  I know the county already owns the site if the current admin building (and garage across the street) but this seems like the perfect place for another major government building. 

Do you know what was planned for that site?
 

 

Capture City Backyard.PNG

My memory is a bit hazy but I believe it was for a 3rd CNL tower. Spenser probably knows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jack said:

My memory is a bit hazy but I believe it was for a 3rd CNL tower. Spenser probably knows. 

That’s what I remember, too. CNL was a rising player back in the Frederick days but seems to have faded a bit over the last few years (they even had CNL Bank in the complex at one point. I’m not sure what changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jack said:

My memory is a bit hazy but I believe it was for a 3rd CNL tower. Spenser probably knows. 

Are you referring to CNL III or another misc. CNL building?

Otherwise IIRC, CNL III was proposed for the Southern parcel of DPAC's front lawn:

720456557_CNLIII.thumb.jpg.2225690033cf092e89687b9d8aa493c0.jpg

CNLIII.thumb.jpg.6deb93f17e8cca21e150e04a7f248807.jpg

 

CNL III topic created by bic: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/117313-cnl-iii-office-proposed/#comments

 

Edited by nite owℓ
Site formatting issue
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Are you referring to CNL III or another misc. CNL building?

Otherwise IIRC, CNL III was proposed for the Southern parcel of DPAC's front lawn:

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/6035791/cnl-iii-rendering-2.jpg

That’s the one I’m thinking about, too. So far as I know, that’s all that ever was considered.

Edited by spenser1058
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

That’s the one I’m thinking about, too. So far as I know, that’s all that ever was considered.

I thought the one next to DPAC was CNL IV. There was a reason the lot was left so underwhelming. behind CNL II but I may be misremembering. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I would love to see the new buildings, I think over the next few years as we see how things shake out, the county occupying various unused office space due to WFH migrations would make a lot of sense to consolidate the various departments.

I will partially defend the Election Supervisor being on Kaley.  It's downtown adjacent.  We should/need to get to a point where SoDo and North Quarter are basically extended parts of downtown.  Also, with the popularity of early voting creating an influx of people to the location, having it just off a highway ramp and largely easy in/out is probably preferable to the CBD while still being centrally located.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

As much as I would love to see the new buildings, I think over the next few years as we see how things shake out, the county occupying various unused office space due to WFH migrations would make a lot of sense to consolidate the various departments.

I will partially defend the Election Supervisor being on Kaley.  It's downtown adjacent.  We should/need to get to a point where SoDo and North Quarter are basically extended parts of downtown.  Also, with the popularity of early voting creating an influx of people to the location, having it just off a highway ramp and largely easy in/out is probably preferable to the CBD while still being centrally located.

Very true! It will be interesting if the County ends up making a move like taking up vacant space at 200 S Orange.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently instead of a convention center, the proposed Pine St tower east of Rosalind will now fill that space with a new anchor facility for OMA.


Orlando Museum of Art will expand into new luxury downtown tower
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-museum-of-art-downtown-expansion-20210510-qdus26y3mrfohk6kgccjpziwl4-story.html

From The Sentinel 
 
I recognize that just as before when a then new previous director floated the Lake Nona trial balloon to make a splash in the community, their newest leader is now doing so. Unless something big has changed, OMA has rarely been the prime mover for philanthropy among our local arts organizations. Nevertheless, I suppose we’ll find out soon enough if this time things are different.
 
I’ll also say a museum should be much less intrusive for the neighborhood than a convention facility would have been, so that’s progress.
 
 
 
.
 
 
 
 
 
Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.