Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

4 minutes ago, jack said:

This site has been marketed for a while and one of the land owners (a broker) has already rallied his neighbors to sell. Assuming ownership has not changed, this will not be a hurdle. The bigger hurdle is selling new construction condos in downtown Orlando and the traffic impact on small streets in Eola south. adding in another use like OMA makes it more challenging. 

The convention and museum would work better on the sentinel site but the condos would never sell. 

So we’re going to destroy what’s special about the neighborhood so they can sell condos no one wants. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

So we’re going to destroy what’s special about the neighborhood so they can sell condos no one wants. Thanks for clearing that up.

"We" are not destroying anything as this has as much chance of getting built as shown as you volunteering for Buddy Dyer's reelection campaign, it will never happen. 

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

And the site I reviewed did not include St Regis. 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, jack said:

"We" are not destroying anything as this has as much chance of getting built as shown as you volunteering for Buddy Dyer's reelection campaign, it will never happen. 

Touché!

Just now, spenser1058 said:

Touché!

It reminds me of the real estate agent who did her darndest to level Eola Heights during the Frederick era (Ann Williams?) so she could make a fortune off a nondescript rental property she had. May I never be so blinded by greed I can’t see the community’s interest. Then again, I guess that’s why I’d never make it as a realtor or developer.

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Touché!

It reminds me of the real estate agent who did her darndest to level Eola Heights during the Frederick era (Ann Williams?) so she could make a fortune off a nondescript rental property she had. May I never be so blinded by greed I can’t see the community’s interest. Then again, I guess that’s why I’d never make it as a realtor or developer.

Could it be that @jackis turning into a big ol’ softie? Yay! He’ll be my new hero!

10 hours ago, jack said:

100% agree with this. That was my point in my post. It is highly doubtul that this gets built as proposed. The land purchase is still a hurdle, even if they get everyone to be "on board" with a sale. Mainly, the financing. Basically, the developer has to come up with an exorbitant sum of money up front to accomplish a sale like this in a hot real estate market with rising interest rates.  This IS going to be a hurdle, and the developer will need to do this with pre-sales and proforma that make the numbers work.  They would be paying a premium with unfavorable conditions and will have to find a METRIC BUTTLOAD of people willing to commit to buying those expensive condos to make it work. Probably never going to happen.

I still believe that the land purchase is a significant hurdle, especially as shown with the St. Regis eliminated. 

And what you added about having more stakeholders involved is a huge obstacle to getting this done.  Trying to make everybody happy in the end is extremely difficult to do with financial and design considerations involved. I believe these announcements were more about "hype" for the project to get people to buy in and grease the wheels of investment/finance.  This developer knows what they are doing on that front.  Having been involved in the AEC industry for quite a while, I recognize it for what it is.  There is nothing wrong with this, I actually expect this from developers. I am just saying nobody hold their breath on them getting this done as proposed. 

9 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I still believe that the land purchase is a significant hurdle, especially as shown with the St. Regis eliminated. 

I would think these companies have locked up options to purchase all these lots before making an announcement. This would give way too much leverage on price to a current landowner otherwise.

• Thanks 1

I wonder what the height restriction is on buildings in that area.

A nice, small footprint, tall slender tower, maybe 40 stories, would be a great addition to that neighborhood.

With the St Regis sitting there right next to it to add some interesting contrast between the old and the new. 

• Like 3

There was a map of the DT/South Eola/Thornton area height restriction guidelines for the Orlando Executive Airport flight path posted in the Monarch thread.  That area would seem to be limited to 300'-400', but subject to review and approval from FAA and GOAA.  The site for this is about 3 blocks north and one block east of the Monarch site identified.  (that multi-parcel square just south of the Waverly building lot)

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120232-monarch-30-story-mixed-use-proposed/?do=findComment&comment=1705384

image.png.1b2d3e19172248da3a2c8f7fadb2c7f1.thumb.png.537dd8eef816abdb816a41fbab9118fc.png

Edited by dcluley98