Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

3 hours ago, dwSouthEola said:

First, I don't mind the DTO ... they're trying ? That said, I have always loved the information center. After meetings at city hall I wander over there and pick up info from the magazine stands they have, and they've really put a lot of effort into the new shop. Personally knowing people who have their products there for sale, t's a great way for locals and visitors to support the local artist/maker community - and they're always running promos for % off, like today's Flash Sale is 50% until 1pm.

I lived in Boston for 15yrs, had 2 jobs, worked for the state gov't, always out & about meeting people - while I def get that's what DTX stands for, I have never met anyone who uses that. It's like calling the city Beantown, or the Ted Williams Tunnel the TWT, it just doesn't happen. I have many a txt message where I've shortened it to dwntwnxing but that's about it. The same will prob go for DTO, it makes sense and that's fine, but doesn't seem like it will be widely used. Kinda like 'Turn Up Downtown' you have to figure if these are the ones they picked, the whiteboard after their brainstorming session must have been just terrible.

I lived in Boston for 14 years and regularly saw it used. Sometimes stated as “DTC”.

57 minutes ago, dwSouthEola said:

Cool, not my experience. For me it's like hearing people on TV establishing that they are going to a business on Memorial Drive, then later saying Mem Drive as if it's local slang. Nope.

I didn’t say it was local slang, rather, used in writing (forums, text, etc). As would “DTO” in social media.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:07 AM, AmIReal said:

Well at least they brought in a top notch architect... oh, wait... https://nyatasadesign.com/projects/

Wasn't Green behind the pitch for Green Tree development in Parramore that never happened? And didn't Green Tree also pitch something in the general Windemere area?  I think it was lux waterfront houses.

I can tell you how he does it. He plays the minority ownership game really well and he gets partners to front his concepts. He then pitches to the business press, which fully promote his pitches. He is very good at marketing his brand/ self regardless of outcome.

On the bright side, the building 534 is in looks good. I'll give him credit for that.

His spot on Church just got shut down for not having a liquor license or business license by Orlando PD. I think we might finally be getting rid of this guy.

• Like 1

The Biden administration is set to expand the number of federal employees who can work from home even after COVID passes.

With any luck, maybe we’ll get a better redo of the old Southern Bell /AT&T building if they’re leasing to someone beside the Feds:

Biden administration moves toward making the pandemic work-from-home experiment permanent for many federal workers
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal-employees-working-from-home/2021/05/23/73c34304-b8db-11eb-a6b1-81296da0339b_story.html

From The Washington Post 

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

On 5/25/2021 at 8:04 PM, spenser1058 said:

AssuredPartners, one of the nation’s largest insurance brokers, will move from Lake Mary and take up 44000sf in CNL I:

From The Sentinel 

Global insurance firm moving headquarters to downtown Orlando, promising new high-wage jobs
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-assured-partners-headquarters-20210525-3c7b4gdmc5ehllhn4sc3r4kxam-story.html

The thing I found very interesting about this is that, despite being described by almost everyone as a huge “get” for downtown, they’re moving into a mostly undistinguished 25-year old tower. Granted, it’s right next to City Hall (does that matter much to insurance brokers?) and not far from the Citrus Club.

If we’re concentrating on filling existing towers, should we expect to see newer taller ones anytime soon?

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The thing I found very interesting about this is that, despite being described by almost everyone as a huge “get” for downtown, they’re moving into a mostly undistinguished 25-year old tower. Granted, it’s right next to City Hall (does that matter much to insurance brokers?) and not far from the Citrus Club.

If we’re concentrating on filling existing towers, should we expect to see newer taller ones anytime soon?

In my opinion no. But that's okay. I'm all for getting more people downtown. I'd love to have toller towers but it's not happening for our city unless some business decides to make Orlando downtown home. 

• Like 1

I have no prediction on when we see our next new tower with office...but declining vacancy rates of existing space will certainly lead to new construction quicker than flat vacancy rates. 

5 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

I have no prediction on when we see our next new tower with office...but declining vacancy rates of existing space will certainly lead to new construction quicker than flat vacancy rates. 

I guess my point is that if you can’t persuade a corporate HQ to do something interesting, it’s unlikely anyone else will, either. 

I guess my point is that if you can’t persuade a corporate HQ to do something interesting, it’s unlikely anyone else will, either. 

It's cool that they are moving but 100 person firms don't move the needle. At best, it helps with vacancy and street activity. 

7 minutes ago, jack said:

It's cool that they are moving but 100 person firms don't move the needle. At best, it helps with vacancy and street activity. 

The difference is in community interest. Compare what Brown & Brown’s doing in Daytona (!) with what AssuredPartners is doing. They’re in not dissimilar businesses but of course Hyatt Brown’s a hometown boy.

It’s why the most notable buildings downtown are the former Sun Bank Center, the former First, FA building and the county courthouse. Each was hometown based when built by champions of what Orlando could be (you could make a similar case for City Hall but I think something was lost in the City Commons concept; admittedly, that’s just me plus the fact that the dome should have been left to weather to a distinguished gray-green instead of sealing it and giving it the patina of a bad toupee on a middle-aged man).

Instead, we keep hoping our saviors will be out of towners with little stake in what we become. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a spare $10M laying around. The historic OUC building on Lake Ivanhoe is going on the market.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-ivanhoe-building-20210615-fmmrqgkr3vbkrhh7wy7zmyjzhu-story.html

Before @spenser1058 goes apoplectic...  "The historic landmark designation creates additional layers of regulation on the property. Any changes to the building or the site would need approval from the city’s Historic Preservation Board."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I think it will need multiple millions in remediation/ repair.

The internal layout isn't good for much -- a few big open spaces, but a lot of odd thick walls and angles.  I think a redevelopment would need to preserve the facades and do a completely new interior structure. 

• Like 1

Actually, I’ve concluded our history just doesn’t matter so let’s rename the city “Lake Buddy Mary” and build 2021 concrete all over town.

We already took out the 1940’s HoJo years ago and now Fairchild, so the Cheney Power Plant is next. Tear ‘em down! Let’s go ahead and take out Princeton while we’re at it.

Then on to the Sentinel newsroom, Firestone and the whole historic core. It’s just old, who needs it!

We can probably get the developers to buy out the churches while we’re at it. Remember to pave over Eola and the fountain - let’s make it a huge dog park. Concrete is it- who cares about the past!