Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

10 minutes ago, codypet said:

@jrs2Skyhouse was built on a small 2-3 story non descript office building, but it was a net gain regardless.

I still miss getting gas at Hank’s Chevron (full service only, thank you very much), which was torn down to build the VUE. I think it had been built in the ‘20’s or early ‘30’s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I still miss getting gas at Hank’s Chevron (full service only, thank you very much), which was torn down to build the VUE. I think it had been built in the ‘20’s or early ‘30’s.

Any pics of Hank's? I can't find anything online. 

16 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Man I hope all of these end up happening. 3 more 350+ foot towers would be huge.

Me too. Only thing is all of these towers would be south of Central Ave. 

Which makes me wonder why development vertically happens less north of Central . I've ALWAYS been curious to why that is in this city.  It's changing now yes but was there a building ban in north downtown or something ? 

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn

13 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Me too. Only thing is all of these towers would be south of Central Ave. 

Which makes me wonder why development vertically happens less north of Central . I've ALWAYS been curious to why that is in this city.  It's changing now yes but was there a building ban in north downtown or something ? 

On Orange Ave., you can do what you want. As far as South Eola, it’s also fair game, as is Lake Eola west of Summerlin (although the citizenry has protested vigorously against building a tower too close to the lake); Eola Heights  and the Lake Lawsona areas are mostly protected.

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

On Orange Ave., you can do what you want. As far as South Eola, it’s also fair game, as is Lake Eola west of Summerlin (although the citizenry has protested vigorously against building a tower too close to the lake); Eola Heights  and the Lake Lawsona areas are mostly protected.

I'm not going to understand not wanting a tower too close to the lake. It's really the only green space we have downtown and it's very minimal. There is nothing spectacular about Lake eola but it does exactly what it's supposed to do and that's great. But downtown Orlando doesn't have another leak or any other waterfront to have a continuous part on multiple parks.

I wish the buildings on the corner of Rosalind and Central and Rosalind and Livingston would be turned into Green space. Lake Eola could have the part extended to Roslyn on the west side. 

It seems as though everybody wants to build around the lake or have some kind of Lakeview but I don't feel developers take advantage of that too much.

6 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm not going to understand not wanting a tower too close to the lake. It's really the only green space we have downtown and it's very minimal. There is nothing spectacular about Lake eola but it does exactly what it's supposed to do and that's great. But downtown Orlando doesn't have another leak or any other waterfront to have a continuous part on multiple parks.

I wish the buildings on the corner of Rosalind and Central and Rosalind and Livingston would be turned into Green space. Lake Eola could have the part extended to Roslyn on the west side. 

It seems as though everybody wants to build around the lake or have some kind of Lakeview but I don't feel developers take advantage of that too much.

I was happy to get the green space when the Eola Five came down instead of the tower Highwoods wanted to build (kudos to Highwoods btw for being willing to work out a deal instead of being intransigent like too many developers are).

Look for more activity to be coming to the east side of Eola Drive. Personally, I want those lots to become part of the park, but as Mick croons, “you can’t always get what you want”. One of the homeowners, an elderly gentleman, is so far unwilling to sell so everything’s on hold for now.

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I was happy to get the green space when the Eola Five came down instead of the tower Highwoods wanted to build (kudos to Highwoods btw for being willing to work out a deal instead of being intransigent like too many developers are).

Look for more activity to be coming to the east side of Eola Drive. Personally, I want those lots to become part of the park, but as Mick croons, “you can’t always get what you want”. One of the homeowners, an elderly gentleman, is so far unwilling to sell so everything’s on hold for now.

I'm in agreement with you. I wish Eola stretched from Rosiland to Summerlin uninterrupted.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm in agreement with you. I wish Eola stretched from Rosiland to Summerlin uninterrupted.

The easiest way to expand Lake Eola park, the path of least resistance if you will, would be to eliminate the southbound lane of Eola Drive from Washington to Robinson and expand the park west.  Reduce Robinson to 2 lanes from Rosalind to Eola Drive (which I believe is already the plan).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

What happened? I never liked that one but I'm curious. Maybe with the new SunRail station opening up they can move it closer to foot traffic?

Since we’re also losing the one at Rosalind and Central, we’re looking at a 7-Eleven apocalypse!Can downtown survive?

Edited by spenser1058