Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

5 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

So they have had years of trouble paying people and the plan is to hire more people? Yeah good luck with that.

No doubt hoping for a sugar daddy if they get their diversity act together.

• Haha 1

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

neither here nor there, but on google satellite view I noticed that the pools at Park Lake Towers and Star Tower are either being renovated or have been temporarily shut down--maybe b/c of the solid chlorine shortage?

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

neither here nor there, but on google satellite view I noticed that the pools at Park Lake Towers and Star Tower are either being renovated or have been temporarily shut down--maybe b/c of the solid chlorine shortage?

PLT hasn't had a working pool in almost 2 years. They found major structural issues so the entire parking deck and pool area have been getting worked on. Still has months to go I believe. Its basically like 3 years the pool isn't usable because it isn't heated.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

PLT hasn't had a working pool in almost 2 years. They found major structural issues so the entire parking deck and pool area have been getting worked on. Still has months to go I believe. Its basically like 3 years the pool isn't usable because it isn't heated.

my bad.  you're right.  the pool has the garage underneath...

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

my bad.  you're right.  the pool has the garage underneath...

OMG how terrified do you think those condo owners are seeing what happened in Miami?

If its any solace, after reading up about that collapse, the pool itself is at the same level as the garage because the pool deck is what's on top of the garage.  It always messes with my mind when I think about it, but it makes perfect sense.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, codypet said:

OMG how terrified do you think those condo owners are seeing what happened in Miami?

If its any solace, after reading up about that collapse, the pool itself is at the same level as the garage because the pool deck is what's on top of the garage.  It always messes with my mind when I think about it, but it makes perfect sense.

Stainless Steel pools. It is the way to go if it is elevated. 

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

oopsie...  I actually learned about it a few pages back in time, missed the posts, and kept forgetting to report on it...LOL.

*ponders what Miss P would have to say about that back in the day ;-)*

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, codypet said:

@jrs2Skyhouse was built on a small 2-3 story non descript office building, but it was a net gain regardless.

I still miss getting gas at Hank’s Chevron (full service only, thank you very much), which was torn down to build the VUE. I think it had been built in the ‘20’s or early ‘30’s.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I still miss getting gas at Hank’s Chevron (full service only, thank you very much), which was torn down to build the VUE. I think it had been built in the ‘20’s or early ‘30’s.

Any pics of Hank's? I can't find anything online. 

1 minute ago, ajc said:

Any pics of Hank's? I can't find anything online. 

I’ll look but I haven’t seen any in ages. It was a regular stop for me back when the Senate office I worked in was on the mezzanine of what’s now The Gym Downtown.

16 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Man I hope all of these end up happening. 3 more 350+ foot towers would be huge.

Me too. Only thing is all of these towers would be south of Central Ave. 

Which makes me wonder why development vertically happens less north of Central . I've ALWAYS been curious to why that is in this city.  It's changing now yes but was there a building ban in north downtown or something ? 

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
13 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Me too. Only thing is all of these towers would be south of Central Ave. 

Which makes me wonder why development vertically happens less north of Central . I've ALWAYS been curious to why that is in this city.  It's changing now yes but was there a building ban in north downtown or something ? 

On Orange Ave., you can do what you want. As far as South Eola, it’s also fair game, as is Lake Eola west of Summerlin (although the citizenry has protested vigorously against building a tower too close to the lake); Eola Heights  and the Lake Lawsona areas are mostly protected.

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

On Orange Ave., you can do what you want. As far as South Eola, it’s also fair game, as is Lake Eola west of Summerlin (although the citizenry has protested vigorously against building a tower too close to the lake); Eola Heights  and the Lake Lawsona areas are mostly protected.

I'm not going to understand not wanting a tower too close to the lake. It's really the only green space we have downtown and it's very minimal. There is nothing spectacular about Lake eola but it does exactly what it's supposed to do and that's great. But downtown Orlando doesn't have another leak or any other waterfront to have a continuous part on multiple parks.

I wish the buildings on the corner of Rosalind and Central and Rosalind and Livingston would be turned into Green space. Lake Eola could have the part extended to Roslyn on the west side. 

It seems as though everybody wants to build around the lake or have some kind of Lakeview but I don't feel developers take advantage of that too much.

6 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm not going to understand not wanting a tower too close to the lake. It's really the only green space we have downtown and it's very minimal. There is nothing spectacular about Lake eola but it does exactly what it's supposed to do and that's great. But downtown Orlando doesn't have another leak or any other waterfront to have a continuous part on multiple parks.

I wish the buildings on the corner of Rosalind and Central and Rosalind and Livingston would be turned into Green space. Lake Eola could have the part extended to Roslyn on the west side. 

It seems as though everybody wants to build around the lake or have some kind of Lakeview but I don't feel developers take advantage of that too much.

I was happy to get the green space when the Eola Five came down instead of the tower Highwoods wanted to build (kudos to Highwoods btw for being willing to work out a deal instead of being intransigent like too many developers are).

Look for more activity to be coming to the east side of Eola Drive. Personally, I want those lots to become part of the park, but as Mick croons, “you can’t always get what you want”. One of the homeowners, an elderly gentleman, is so far unwilling to sell so everything’s on hold for now.

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I was happy to get the green space when the Eola Five came down instead of the tower Highwoods wanted to build (kudos to Highwoods btw for being willing to work out a deal instead of being intransigent like too many developers are).

Look for more activity to be coming to the east side of Eola Drive. Personally, I want those lots to become part of the park, but as Mick croons, “you can’t always get what you want”. One of the homeowners, an elderly gentleman, is so far unwilling to sell so everything’s on hold for now.

I'm in agreement with you. I wish Eola stretched from Rosiland to Summerlin uninterrupted.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 2
On 8/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'm in agreement with you. I wish Eola stretched from Rosiland to Summerlin uninterrupted.

The easiest way to expand Lake Eola park, the path of least resistance if you will, would be to eliminate the southbound lane of Eola Drive from Washington to Robinson and expand the park west.  Reduce Robinson to 2 lanes from Rosalind to Eola Drive (which I believe is already the plan).

• Like 1