Jump to content

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Lake Eola Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.  Today.  Haven't been to Orlando in 10 years or more and there is a lot more life downtown and around this park.  Great to see an

My friend grabbed some shots of downtown while flying into ORL. This one really shows how the I-4/408 interchange is coming along.  Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That was in the latest ARB report as well: http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/03/ARB2017-10009reportMarch2018.pdf Here is the new rendering:  A

Posted Images

1 minute ago, bqknight said:

FYI - everyone's favorite, 7-11, has closed their location in the Plaza, below the theater. 

Whatever shall we do? Oh well, Thomas Chatmon can finally do something and call Dallas for a replacement, stat!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bqknight said:

FYI - everyone's favorite, 7-11, has closed their location in the Plaza, below the theater. 

What happened? I never liked that one but I'm curious. Maybe with the new SunRail station opening up they can move it closer to foot traffic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

What happened? I never liked that one but I'm curious. Maybe with the new SunRail station opening up they can move it closer to foot traffic?

Since we’re also losing the one at Rosalind and Central, we’re looking at a 7-Eleven apocalypse!Can downtown survive?

Edited by spenser1058
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I'd welcome an express racetrack or Wawa without gas or something downtown

Wawa would be good although I’m still partial to Pub Subs. Too bad Publix gave up on the Pix concept.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bqknight said:

FYI - everyone's favorite, 7-11, has closed their location in the Plaza, below the theater. 

Is that the one that also had an entrance/exit on Pine St?

I actually liked that 7 Eleven.

I'll miss it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Is that the one that also had an entrance/exit on Pine St?

I actually liked that 7 Eleven.

I'll miss it.

That was the one on the bottom floor 55W, which is still there. This one only had an entrance through the main Plaza. It was probably one of the worst in the area, tbh - only behind the one on the corner of Rosalind and Central. 

Yes, I like 7-11 quite a lot actually.  :tw_grimace:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bqknight said:

That was the one on the bottom floor 55W, which is still there. This one only had an entrance through the main Plaza. It was probably one of the worst in the area, tbh - only behind the one on the corner of Rosalind and Central. 

Yes, I like 7-11 quite a lot actually.  :tw_grimace:

Oh that's right.... two completely different buildings.

Don't know what I was thinking.

The one in the Plaza I've never been inside of.

I tried to go in once, but it was closed. 

I like the one in 55W. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Many a late night after coming home from drinking, I've walked to that  Eleven to get a microwave burrito.

One night, well before Thornton Park Central was built and it was just a parking lot for the Orlando Women's Garden Club, as I was right about where the Starbucks is now, I happened upon a stray cat who was hanging out on the sidewalk. She meowed at me and sort of approached me, but I couldn't have pets where I lived so I kept going.

As I was heading back home, she was still there and approached me again. I petted her a little and continued walking. Looked back and she was following me. I thought maybe she lived in one of the houses off Summerlin and Pine/Church. So she and I walked up and down each side of those streets. I'd stop at each house. She'd go up the the porch then come back and we'd go to the next one.

I ended up taking her back to my apartment where I was not allowed to have her. I'd let  her sleep inside at night then put her outside during the day while I was at work. When I'd come home in the afternoon, she'd be waiting for me. 

After a few days, I took her to my folks' house where she became their cat for the rest of her life.

Turns out, she was pregnant already when I found her.

My sister took all of the kittens and kept them until they passed from old age. 

Great story... I've ended up adopting many strays when I was in the Eola Heights area.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple interesting stats in this OBJ article about lack of retail downtown. 

"Currently, there are roughly 11,771 apartment units in downtown Orlando, eighth-most among Central Florida apartment submarkets, according to CoStar." ... "a flood of new residents are moving to the downtown submarket as evidenced by 2,037 apartment units currently under construction, the second-most of any Orlando submarket, according to CoStar"

I had not ran across this set of numbers previously. Anyone care to guess at the number of residents that will be in those 13,700 units?

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/09/08/florida-downtown-suburb-orlando-retail-real-estate.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AmIReal said:

A couple interesting stats in this OBJ article about lack of retail downtown. 

"Currently, there are roughly 11,771 apartment units in downtown Orlando, eighth-most among Central Florida apartment submarkets, according to CoStar." ... "a flood of new residents are moving to the downtown submarket as evidenced by 2,037 apartment units currently under construction, the second-most of any Orlando submarket, according to CoStar"

I had not ran across this set of numbers previously. Anyone care to guess at the number of residents that will be in those 13,700 units?

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/09/08/florida-downtown-suburb-orlando-retail-real-estate.html

1.25 people per unit. 17k per person. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

not sure where to ask this but does anyone have the original plans for the duPointe buildings aka Bank of America? I know somewhere in this forum there were a bunch of photos of projects in downtown that never happened but i cant find them 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, W7edwin said:

not sure where to ask this but does anyone have the original plans for the duPointe buildings aka Bank of America? I know somewhere in this forum there were a bunch of photos of projects in downtown that never happened but i cant find them 

I think @JFW657may have found those through some of his amazing sleuthing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

My favorite that never got built (mostly because it’s so absurd) is The Refrigerator (aka today’s Fairwinds) which was proposed with four (!) identical towers on the site.

I think it was three towers that were not identical, but had the same silver, horizontal exterior cladding between the windows....

centplaz.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.