Jump to content

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion


sunshine

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

 

I don't think there was ever a rendering of the DuPont Center, but there was an actual physical model built, of which there were photos taken.

I didn't "sleuth" this off the internet, I have an old downtown development brochure from back around 1985 from which I photographed this photograph...

dupont.jpg

That hotel that never got built on the site where Society is currently going up, is only 18 stories not counting the gable roof, which looks to be the equivalent of about three stories, making it about the height of a 21 story building.  

Stack about 7 more floors on top of it and you should have the approximate height of the 28 story Society tower. 

Here is half a rendering of DuPont Center, a rendering obviously from an Atari game, and a view perspective. Better than nothing? I agree with JFW657, I have never seen a rendering of the full Center.

7BB8A7F7-26A4-47E9-A011-82E320CCBB06.jpeg

DEB5C8E4-C810-431C-A3A4-9941D74FC48C.jpeg

B3679CF7-3E71-4DDA-A047-7393D1FBEA92.jpeg

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, Tim3167 said:

This really could be its own thread. I think it was sometime ago.

As far as multi tower proposals went I was so hoping for Olympia Place. I would drive by that lot so many times looking for signs of anything. There was a model just inside the back door from the parking garage into the tower. I think the 2nd towers was going to be like 28 stories .

I was lucky enough to also see that model while going to a really nice fancy restaurant on the ground floor for dinner shortly after the building opened. The restaurant didn’t last long but that model was really cool. I would be posting a picture of it if cell phones had cameras and didn’t weigh 10 pounds back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, eq1974 said:

Here is half a rendering of DuPont Center, a rendering obviously from an Atari game, and a view perspective. Better than nothing? I agree with JFW657, I have never seen a rendering of the full Center.

I had forgotten those existed until I saw your post, then remembered I have seen them before.

And even worse yet, I think I actually have paper copies of all of them in a big stack of other DTO clippings from the 80's. 

I guess it's either because I haven't looked through them in so long, or else my memory is going... :blush:  

 

.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I had forgotten those existed until I saw your post, then remembered I have seen them before.

And even worse yet, I think I actually have paper copies of all of them in a big stack of other DTO clippings from the 80's. 

I guess it's either because I haven't looked through them in so long, or else my memory is going... :blush:  

 

.

Lol about memory! I can’t tell you how many things I forgot I had while digging up that stuff this morning for the posts. Of course I paused a lot looking at some things and wondering why I saved them.

Curious, did you get that DuPont model pic from something like this:

3BCEABEF-6536-41D8-B1F6-439372F442EE.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, eq1974 said:

Lol about memory! I can’t tell you how many things I forgot I had while digging up that stuff this morning for the posts. Of course I paused a lot looking at some things and wondering why I saved them.

Curious, did you get that DuPont model pic from something like this:

3BCEABEF-6536-41D8-B1F6-439372F442EE.jpeg

 What's the story with that office building standing where the Embassy Suites is today?  It seems like that would be awfully expensive to redevelop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

 What's the story with that office building standing where the Embassy Suites is today?  It seems like that would be awfully expensive to redevelop. 

image.png.aa5b828483fa00ec66fe19e39ede7c50.png

That's Capital Plaza 1.  Its still there.

50 minutes ago, eq1974 said:

This is the main image that I originally wanted to post with my earlier entry this morning. But I couldn’t find it and thought it was tossed. Found it! I like that’s it in color and pretty detailed.

71E85065-09B3-4346-89FA-8FFE14A9EE29.jpeg

That lobby image is the spitting image of the lobby of the Wells Fargo building.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Capital Plaza 1 (originally the Southeast Bank building) did not get the visor until Capital Plaza 2 was built.

Southeast Bank, headquartered in Miami, was once Florida’s largest bank. It met its demise after Poppy Bush’s S&L crisis (and many believe it was pushed rather than jumped).

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Capital Plaza 1 (originally the Southeast Bank building) did not get the visor until Capital Plaza 2 was built.

And the original renderings showed both buildings with the exact same "visor" (I believe it was called an eyebrow) but the older building got a much smaller one.

Maybe it couldn't conform to the required engineering specs as originally designed? 

In the newer building, the concrete columns that support the rooftop arch, are continuous through the building down to the foundation. 

I believe the older building was constructed from steel, so I don't know how rooftop concrete columns could have tied in with the original steel columns.

Might have been doable from an engineering standpoint, but just too involved and expensive. 

My late BIL ran the crew who provided and installed the glass in both those buildings, BTW. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, codypet said:

Did they reskin Cap 1 when they did that?  I thought I saw pics with the glass of Cap 1 not tinted that green color.

Cap1 as Southeast Bank Building with the original glass. It looked like this when I moved here. I do prefer the original glass.  

 

45581B63-2C6C-43F8-A715-4BA2AFAD6464.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, eq1974 said:

Cap1 as Southeast Bank Building with the original glass. It looked like this when I moved here. I do prefer the original glass.  

I think that by the time they redid the glass to match the new tower to the east, that glass had become kind of mottled and discolored from a couple of decades in the Florida sun. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites


43 minutes ago, Gtothree2748 said:

Great news! Between this, Luminary Green, and Under-I, as well as Lake Eola Park, more free space in downtown Orlando is definitely a welcome sight!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The noise would not bother me so much. I can tune it out when exercising or playing games. The fumes on  the other hand would be a detriment. Hopefully smog/fumes would go up and not down to the park where people are playing/exercising. I know I hate portions of my rides on busy streets such as Orange, Edgewater, Semoran, Hanging Moss, Kennedy and others.  

Edited by dcluley98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

The noise would not bother me so much. I can tune it out when exercising or playing games. The fumes on  the other hand would be a detriment. Hopefully smog/fumes would go up and not down to the park where people are playing/exercising. I know I hate portions of my rides on busy streets such as Orange, Edgewater, Semoran, Hanging Moss, Kennedy and others.  

Have you actually been under there or just saying things??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL, uh, yeah. 

Every time I go to an Orlando City game or go over to Creative Village or the other side to take photos, etc. 

Don't know why you would think I would say that if I haven't and I have posted may photos of DT from the other side of I-4.


Trust me when I say from years of cycling around multiple larger cities that I just don't hear the noise anymore. I am alert to traffic/threats, but the noise does not bother me at all. You get used to it. Lately when I was doing bridge training on the OUT Pedestrian bridge I did notice the Colonial and Train noise (the train is much more substantial than traffic).  There were actually homeless that were sleeping on the span of the pedestrian bridge directly over Colonial and the train tracks. Hahaha. Completely not an Eff given about the noise. 

Edited by dcluley98
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Living in 55 facing and directly above the train tracks, I absolutely tuned out all club and train noise.  The only time I even noticed it was when watching TV and it was literally so loud I had to pause what I was watching and rewind 10 seconds because I couldn't hear it over the horn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

LOL, uh, yeah. 

Every time I go to an Orlando City game or go over to Creative Village or the other side to take photos, etc. 

Don't know why you would think I would say that if I haven't and I have posted may photos of DT from the other side of I-4.


Trust me when I say from years of cycling around multiple larger cities that I just don't hear the noise anymore. I am alert to traffic/threats, but the noise does not bother me at all. You get used to it. Lately when I was doing bridge training on the OUT Pedestrian bridge I did notice the Colonial and Train noise (the train is much more substantial than traffic).  There were actually homeless that were sleeping on the span of the pedestrian bridge directly over Colonial and the train tracks. Hahaha. Completely not an Eff given about the noise. 

I was just saying I thought the reconstructed bridges under I-4 downtown sound different than regular underpasses. Maybe I'm tripping. I just don't see how a few park asthetics would block those noises out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.