Jump to content

Downtown Orlando Project Discussion


sunshine

Recommended Posts


10 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Menu will have to be much different. They can't do burgers there. They pretty much can only do the sausage menu there. They have failed in all 3 spots they've tried it so far so I don't have hopes of it lasting as long as Eden's.

No sausage for me *sigh*

At least Hot Dog Heaven endures even if it’s a pain to get to.

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, JFW657 said:

 

I don't think there was ever a rendering of the DuPont Center, but there was an actual physical model built, of which there were photos taken.

I didn't "sleuth" this off the internet, I have an old downtown development brochure from back around 1985 from which I photographed this photograph...

dupont.jpg

That hotel that never got built on the site where Society is currently going up, is only 18 stories not counting the gable roof, which looks to be the equivalent of about three stories, making it about the height of a 21 story building.  

Stack about 7 more floors on top of it and you should have the approximate height of the 28 story Society tower. 

The original building was supposed to have a twin.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

The original building was supposed to have a twin.  

I think that idea might have been briefly discussed but I don't think it was ever seriously considered. 

They started to build the hotel shown in the model, but the bottom fell out of DuPont's company and work stopped while they were still driving the pilings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


52 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I wonder why ? 

Two possibilities at this point:

(1) 7-Eleven bought Speedway from Marathon and the feds required them to spin off a few hundred locations because of competitive concerns;

(2) In preparation for the site to be added to Eola Park acreage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. 

I've stopped in there a few times for a pack of cheese 'n crackers and a fountain diet soda when I was down there and needed a snack.

Now I'll have to walk either to Washington and Summerlin or over to Pine St.  

There’s always Publix at Central and Lake (my bag of Combos is much cheaper there than at 7-11) and they have fountain drinks at the Deli also. Then it’s just a short hop across the street to Pop Parlour for dessert!

Heaven knows it’s much cleaner (and Pub Subs are infinitely better than 7-11 sammiches). After all, it’s Where Shopping Is A Pleasure, something no one has ever said about that 7-11…

I think this was a victim of COVID but maybe it will come back - OPL had a snack bar. Also, is the DGX still open?
 

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Two possibilities at this point:

(1) 7-Eleven bought Speedway from Marathon and the feds required them to spin off a few hundred locations because of competitive concerns;

Is that why recently I've seen a bunch of former HESS turned speedway locations become Marathons?  I was wondering why that happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s always Publix at Central and Lake (my bag of Combos is much cheaper there than at 7-11) and they have fountain drinks at the Deli also. Then it’s just a short hop across the street to Pop Parlour for dessert!

Heaven knows it’s much cleaner (and Pub Subs are infinitely better than 7-11 sammiches). After all, it’s Where Shopping Is A Pleasure, something no one has ever said about that 7-11…

I think this was a victim of COVID but maybe it will come back - OPL had a snack bar. Also, is the DGX still open?
 

I kinda liked that 7 Eleven.

At Publix, you never know how many people are going to be ahead of you at the checkout, and I'd have to see what they get for cheese n' crackers and a large soda. 

At 7 Eleven a large soda is like .79¢ or something.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I kinda liked that 7 Eleven.

At Publix, you never know how many people are going to be ahead of you at the checkout, and I'd have to see what they get for cheese n' crackers and a large soda. 

At 7 Eleven a large soda is like .79¢ or something.  

Not sure about the one on Central but the line on Summerlin is often worse than at Publix (especially on lottery nights). Remember at Publix they’ll ring you up at customer service if the regular lines are too long.

One thing I like with Pub Subs is you can now pay for those online when you order. The P is getting so tech savvy lately!

I’ve been meaning to ask @orange87if there is life without Publix, although if CT has a Wegmans it would be ok…

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not sure about the one on Central but the line on Summerlin is often worse than at Publix (especially on lottery nights). Remember at Publix they’ll ring you up at customer service if the regular lines are too long.

One thing I like with Pub Subs is you can now pay for those online when you order. The P is getting so tech savvy lately!

I’ve been meaning to ask @orange87if there is life without Publix, although if CT has a Wegmans it would be ok…

The regional grocery stores we have here are Stop & Shop, Big Y, Price Chopper and ShopRite. I usually go to the first two. We of course have national grocery stores like Whole Foods and Aldi too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, orange87 said:

The regional grocery stores we have here are Stop & Shop, Big Y, Price Chopper and ShopRite. I usually go to the first two. We of course have national grocery stores like Whole Foods and Aldi too.

Those all sound like kind of dumpy, bargain basement chains. 

But then, I shop at Walmart Neighborhood Market which is just a fancy way to say Walmart Grocery Store. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Those all sound like kind of dumpy, bargain basement chains. 

But then, I shop at Walmart Neighborhood Market which is just a fancy way to say Walmart Grocery Store. 

They're not bargain chains. I wouldn't say any of the four I mentioned are as good as Publix, but all four are lightyears better than Walmart IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, orange87 said:

They're not bargain chains. I wouldn't say any of the four I mentioned are as good as Publix, but all four are lightyears better than Walmart IMO.

Agreed - they're all typically decent chains (I went to grad school in CT). Stop & Shop/Shoprite feel pretty equivalent to Jewel here in Chicago, or like Albertson's when I was growing up in Orlando.  The Big Y nearest me was Publix-level great, but there was a Stop & Shop even closer, so I was there more often.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like the Metcalf building and the Tinker building are soon to have new owners. I don't expect anything to change with either of these properties, but it is good to see out of town money views the CBD older buildings as good investment.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-metcalf-building-20210930-rh4iccxmh5h43oed3qunmgf23i-story.html

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I kinda liked that 7 Eleven.

At Publix, you never know how many people are going to be ahead of you at the checkout, and I'd have to see what they get for cheese n' crackers and a large soda. 

At 7 Eleven a large soda is like .79¢ or something.  

If you get in the 10 items or less lines or customer service, I've never had it take more then a couple minutes, unless you're going at peak times. My admittedly few experiences at c-stores is they take just as long as Publix, outside of the parking/store entry. And since Publix's prices and products are better then them, I never understood why so many poeple go to c-stores so frequently, but thats just me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, aent said:

If you get in the 10 items or less lines or customer service, I've never had it take more then a couple minutes, unless you're going at peak times. My admittedly few experiences at c-stores is they take just as long as Publix, outside of the parking/store entry. And since Publix's prices and products are better then them, I never understood why so many poeple go to c-stores so frequently, but thats just me.

Maybe I just liked the 7 Eleven because it was kinda funky. 

Publix is nice but a bit too sterile and yuppie for me.

Plus I have to walk all over the store to find anything.

That 7 Eleven was so small I could stand at the front door and fill my soda cup from the machine at the back wall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never liked 7 Eleven but I do find the DGX a relatively inexpensive "convenience" store.  Some of their items are cheaper than Publix especially their weekly specials.  It is a nice clean, organized place, I just hope the people that congregated outside of 7 Eleven do not move across the street because the sidewalk outside of 7 Eleven is always dirty and smelly.  I just wish they would stay open later than 12AM.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FLheat said:

I never liked 7 Eleven but I do find the DGX a relatively inexpensive "convenience" store.  Some of their items are cheaper than Publix especially their weekly specials.  It is a nice clean, organized place, I just hope the people that congregated outside of 7 Eleven do not move across the street because the sidewalk outside of 7 Eleven is always dirty and smelly.  I just wish they would stay open later than 12AM.

This is what's gonna happen.   I guarantee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.