Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The noise would not bother me so much. I can tune it out when exercising or playing games. The fumes on  the other hand would be a detriment. Hopefully smog/fumes would go up and not down to the park where people are playing/exercising. I know I hate portions of my rides on busy streets such as Orange, Edgewater, Semoran, Hanging Moss, Kennedy and others.  

Edited by dcluley98

2 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

The noise would not bother me so much. I can tune it out when exercising or playing games. The fumes on  the other hand would be a detriment. Hopefully smog/fumes would go up and not down to the park where people are playing/exercising. I know I hate portions of my rides on busy streets such as Orange, Edgewater, Semoran, Hanging Moss, Kennedy and others.  

Have you actually been under there or just saying things??

LOL, uh, yeah. 

Every time I go to an Orlando City game or go over to Creative Village or the other side to take photos, etc. 

Don't know why you would think I would say that if I haven't and I have posted may photos of DT from the other side of I-4.

Trust me when I say from years of cycling around multiple larger cities that I just don't hear the noise anymore. I am alert to traffic/threats, but the noise does not bother me at all. You get used to it. Lately when I was doing bridge training on the OUT Pedestrian bridge I did notice the Colonial and Train noise (the train is much more substantial than traffic).  There were actually homeless that were sleeping on the span of the pedestrian bridge directly over Colonial and the train tracks. Hahaha. Completely not an Eff given about the noise. 

Edited by dcluley98

Living in 55 facing and directly above the train tracks, I absolutely tuned out all club and train noise.  The only time I even noticed it was when watching TV and it was literally so loud I had to pause what I was watching and rewind 10 seconds because I couldn't hear it over the horn.

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

LOL, uh, yeah. 

Every time I go to an Orlando City game or go over to Creative Village or the other side to take photos, etc. 

Don't know why you would think I would say that if I haven't and I have posted may photos of DT from the other side of I-4.

Trust me when I say from years of cycling around multiple larger cities that I just don't hear the noise anymore. I am alert to traffic/threats, but the noise does not bother me at all. You get used to it. Lately when I was doing bridge training on the OUT Pedestrian bridge I did notice the Colonial and Train noise (the train is much more substantial than traffic).  There were actually homeless that were sleeping on the span of the pedestrian bridge directly over Colonial and the train tracks. Hahaha. Completely not an Eff given about the noise. 

I was just saying I thought the reconstructed bridges under I-4 downtown sound different than regular underpasses. Maybe I'm tripping. I just don't see how a few park asthetics would block those noises out. 

10 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Menu will have to be much different. They can't do burgers there. They pretty much can only do the sausage menu there. They have failed in all 3 spots they've tried it so far so I don't have hopes of it lasting as long as Eden's.

No sausage for me *sigh*

At least Hot Dog Heaven endures even if it’s a pain to get to.

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/20/2021 at 7:24 PM, JFW657 said:

I don't think there was ever a rendering of the DuPont Center, but there was an actual physical model built, of which there were photos taken.

I didn't "sleuth" this off the internet, I have an old downtown development brochure from back around 1985 from which I photographed this photograph...

dupont.jpg

That hotel that never got built on the site where Society is currently going up, is only 18 stories not counting the gable roof, which looks to be the equivalent of about three stories, making it about the height of a 21 story building.  

Stack about 7 more floors on top of it and you should have the approximate height of the 28 story Society tower. 

The original building was supposed to have a twin.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

The original building was supposed to have a twin.  

I think that idea might have been briefly discussed but I don't think it was ever seriously considered. 

They started to build the hotel shown in the model, but the bottom fell out of DuPont's company and work stopped while they were still driving the pilings. 

52 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I wonder why ? 

Two possibilities at this point:

(1) 7-Eleven bought Speedway from Marathon and the feds required them to spin off a few hundred locations because of competitive concerns;

(2) In preparation for the site to be added to Eola Park acreage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. 

I've stopped in there a few times for a pack of cheese 'n crackers and a fountain diet soda when I was down there and needed a snack.

Now I'll have to walk either to Washington and Summerlin or over to Pine St.  

There’s always Publix at Central and Lake (my bag of Combos is much cheaper there than at 7-11) and they have fountain drinks at the Deli also. Then it’s just a short hop across the street to Pop Parlour for dessert!

Heaven knows it’s much cleaner (and Pub Subs are infinitely better than 7-11 sammiches). After all, it’s Where Shopping Is A Pleasure, something no one has ever said about that 7-11…

I think this was a victim of COVID but maybe it will come back - OPL had a snack bar. Also, is the DGX still open?

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Two possibilities at this point:

(1) 7-Eleven bought Speedway from Marathon and the feds required them to spin off a few hundred locations because of competitive concerns;

Is that why recently I've seen a bunch of former HESS turned speedway locations become Marathons?  I was wondering why that happened.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s always Publix at Central and Lake (my bag of Combos is much cheaper there than at 7-11) and they have fountain drinks at the Deli also. Then it’s just a short hop across the street to Pop Parlour for dessert!

Heaven knows it’s much cleaner (and Pub Subs are infinitely better than 7-11 sammiches). After all, it’s Where Shopping Is A Pleasure, something no one has ever said about that 7-11…

I think this was a victim of COVID but maybe it will come back - OPL had a snack bar. Also, is the DGX still open?

I kinda liked that 7 Eleven.

At Publix, you never know how many people are going to be ahead of you at the checkout, and I'd have to see what they get for cheese n' crackers and a large soda. 

At 7 Eleven a large soda is like .79¢ or something.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I kinda liked that 7 Eleven.

At Publix, you never know how many people are going to be ahead of you at the checkout, and I'd have to see what they get for cheese n' crackers and a large soda. 

At 7 Eleven a large soda is like .79¢ or something.  

Not sure about the one on Central but the line on Summerlin is often worse than at Publix (especially on lottery nights). Remember at Publix they’ll ring you up at customer service if the regular lines are too long.

One thing I like with Pub Subs is you can now pay for those online when you order. The P is getting so tech savvy lately!

I’ve been meaning to ask @orange87if there is life without Publix, although if CT has a Wegmans it would be ok…

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not sure about the one on Central but the line on Summerlin is often worse than at Publix (especially on lottery nights). Remember at Publix they’ll ring you up at customer service if the regular lines are too long.

One thing I like with Pub Subs is you can now pay for those online when you order. The P is getting so tech savvy lately!

I’ve been meaning to ask @orange87if there is life without Publix, although if CT has a Wegmans it would be ok…

The regional grocery stores we have here are Stop & Shop, Big Y, Price Chopper and ShopRite. I usually go to the first two. We of course have national grocery stores like Whole Foods and Aldi too.

• Like 1