Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

18 minutes ago, eq1974 said:

Here is an alternative design for the DuPont hotel that never was and probably was the one the pilings were for.

So did we dodge a bullet? 

I think it would have been nice (but what did the back look like from I4? Would love to know). It blends with the retro classic design of the office tower and reminds me of one of those old hotels still standing in Manhattan.

3DA1823D-BE85-4BE2-9A63-795A1D54538D.jpeg

Pretty ugly. :( 

18 hours ago, eq1974 said:

Here is an alternative design for the DuPont hotel that never was and probably was the one the pilings were for.

I think it would have been nice (but what did the back look like from I4? Would love to know). It blends with the retro classic design of the office tower and reminds me of one of those old hotels still standing in Manhattan.

Oooo that's ugly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

Does anyone know if there are any plans to do something with this lot downtown? Seems like it's been there undeveloped for a long time.

1401454980_1PineSt.png

There have been several plans ever since it burned but nothing ever seems to come of them. Personally, I was hoping for the bar with the slide…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, opivys85 said:

Does anyone know if there are any plans to do something with this lot downtown? Seems like it's been there undeveloped for a long time.

1401454980_1PineSt.png

There was at least a couple of proposals for that corner.

This, for one....

Pine-Street-Gardens.jpg

....Pine Street gardens.... https://bungalower.com/2017/04/23/wish-pine-street-gardens/

There were also plans for a two or three story building, possibly with something like a rooftop bar, but I'm not sure about that. It's been so long I'm hazy on he details.

30-S-Orange-Elevation.png

30-S-Orange-Rooftop.png

https://bungalower.com/2013/09/19/developer-proposes-new-entertainment-building-on-orange-pine-in-downtown/

There may have been a slightly shorter, two story version of the above also, but I don't think there were ever any drawings or renderings of it.

I would like to see something at least five or six floors there.

With all the projects going on it is hard to keep up....but it broke my heart to see that the old Live Oak tree (in that small fenced off green space just south of the courthouse) fell under the saw recently. Razed to the ground (completely). I have no idea what is going to be built there (and am too tired to search) but it is sad to see an old tree like that (in the center of downtown) just discarded and trashed. Cheers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

With all the projects going on it is hard to keep up....but it broke my heart to see that the old Live Oak tree (in that small fenced off green space just south of the courthouse) fell under the saw recently. Razed to the ground (completely). I have no idea what is going to be built there (and am too tired to search) but it is sad to see an old tree like that (in the center of downtown) just discarded and trashed. Cheers.

"....And they wrote it all down as the progress of man." - John Prine ~ Paradise  

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:01 PM, eq1974 said:

Am I correct in remembering that the Dupont Center was supposed to be a twin tower development originally? 

15 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

Am I correct in remembering that the Dupont Center was supposed to be a twin tower development originally? 

It was indeed envisioned as one initially and then, when the finances weren’t there, the project got scaled down a couple of times and then abandoned.

Edited by spenser1058

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It was indeed envisioned as one initially and then, when the finances weren’t there, the project got scaled down a couple of times and then abandoned.

It is, btw, a tragic story how Bill duPont got led in the wrong direction by powers that be in local financial and legal circles. That was bad enough but it’s also how we came to be saddled with the DeVos clan. 

The history of Orlando could have been quite different and much more equitable, which is ironic considering a duPont was involved, but Mr. duPont was a quiet gentleman and one of the good guys.

Edited by spenser1058

21 hours ago, smileguy said:
On Monday, October 18, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer will join District 5 City Commissioner Regina I. Hill and members of the Orlando Downtown Development Board, Dr. Phillips Center, Dr. Phillips Charites, and Ascend Studios to break ground on Art², a new .28 acre park located on the corner of Orange Avenue and Robinson Street in downtown Orlando. 

Amenities at the park will include two-story container structure with café, art gallery, stage, seating, space for two food trucksgreen space for scheduled activities, and more. Anticipated to open in Spring 2022, this new park will help further meet the vision set forth in the DTOutlook plan by the community to ensure downtown Orlando remains “An Awesome Outdoor City.” 

source.gif

Go Buu - ddy!!!  Go Buu - ddy!!!  

Go Buu  ddy!!!  Go Buu - ddy!!!

• Haha 1