Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Looking forward to seeing what else TMG puts out there. They are one of the only ones downtown who seem to do a good job with their concepts. Mather's, Wellborn, Robinson, etc - all very welcome additions to Orlando. Might be why they are investing so much here - these types of establishments are more common in SoFla, but there are next to none outside what they own in Downtown Orlando. 

The issue with TMG is that their concepts are go-to once every 3-6 months for a special occasion.  None are going to be my home bar I hang out at multiple times a week.  Which Pourhouse very much qualifies as.

I agree with @bqknight that adding more places like the other offerings by TMG is a good thing.  I also agree with @AndyPok1 that it is nice to have your go-to neighbor head joint. But I disagree the TMG places are for special events only.  I know plenty of folks that go on weekly, if not more often visits. I think it just depends on how much you want to/ can spend on entertainment.

Btw, I don't think this will negatively affect Pourhouse. I think TMG is likely moving into a landlord role with some of their properties.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

While downtown has a lot of 7-11s (even while Creative Village is oddly missing one) there's a lack of other bodega style choices (would DGX count?). I'd love to see something like this new trendy chain that's popping up in urban areas in the Northeast and Midwest in Orlando. Does anyone know how the Walgreens is doing? We should be seeing an increase in residents, from my rough estimates I think Society should add around 2K residents to downtown. That alone should be enough to support something more than 7-11 in downtown. I love TMGs concepts but we need more lifestyle options if downtown will ever be more than offices and nightclubs. 

https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/11/foxtrot-convenience-store-of-the-future/?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email

• Like 4

21 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

The issue with TMG is that their concepts are go-to once every 3-6 months for a special occasion.  None are going to be my home bar I hang out at multiple times a week.  Which Pourhouse very much qualifies as.

Tell that to my coworkers who go to Mather's for happy hour every week! But I know what you mean.  As much as I love bars like Tori Tori or Guesthouse, they're just not feasible for going to regularly / having more than two drinks outside of happy hour. 

19 hours ago, jliv said:

The US is 10 years behind Europe's grocery retailers

The US is 10 years behind everything.  Bringing a device to your table to pay in restaurants has been happening in places as near as Canada since the late 00s.

22 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

Tell that to my coworkers who go to Mather's for happy hour every week! But I know what you mean.  As much as I love bars like Tori Tori or Guesthouse, they're just not feasible for going to regularly / having more than two drinks outside of happy hour. 

This is a fair point.  I do know people that go to like Mather's after work on Friday every week.  I count that differently though.  If I'm bored on a Saturday afternoon, or after dinner on a Tuesday, or Sunday Funday... I'm not going to Mather's to just see who is working/what regulars are at the bar, etc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In an attempt to address downtown crime- particularly in the bar area- the City approved a funding package to subsidize security devices for downtown businesses. Things like cameras, metal detectors, etc. will be subsidized at 50% up to 10k. Interestingly, the cameras would have to be networked to OPD.

https://www.wesh.com/article/downtown-orlando-security-upgrades/38874414

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 8:09 PM, AmIReal said:

In an attempt to address downtown crime- particularly in the bar area- the City approved a funding package to subsidize security devices for downtown businesses. Things like cameras, metal detectors, etc. will be subsidized at 50% up to 10k. Interestingly, the cameras would have to be networked to OPD.

https://www.wesh.com/article/downtown-orlando-security-upgrades/38874414

Businesses and multifamily buildings. I'm guessing it's because anytime something goes down, OPD sends a detective to visit nearby buildings near the incident to check if they captured any footage. A time consuming process for building staff and OPD I imagine. Maybe they want easier access to cut out the middle man. Still seems a bit intrusive for apartment/condo residents just living their daily lives, especially if OPD tries to start using facial recognition software again.

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Businesses and multifamily buildings. I'm guessing it's because anytime something goes down, OPD sends a detective to visit nearby buildings near the incident to check if they captured any footage. A time consuming process for building staff and OPD I imagine. Maybe they want easier access to cut out the middle man. Still seems a bit intrusive for apartment/condo residents just living their daily lives, especially if OPD tries to start using facial recognition software again.

It's a pretty disturbing trend; surveillance state, here we come!

I understand the rationale/efficiency, but even if these systems are installed with innocent intent, once the systems exist they are ripe for future misuse.  

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 1

Agreed. I was shocked to find out Amazon launched their facial "Rekognition" pilot program with OPD. All very hush-hush with no notification to downtown residents or anything. Like, I know dystopian themes from 1984, Minority Report, etc. are all coming one day, I was just hoping it would happen when I was old and pretty much on my way out of here ☄.

I also low-key suspect the new funding pkg to subsidize security is a way for the city to shift the burden of camera maintenance onto building owners lol. For instance, how many times has a crime occurred right in front of an IRIS camera only for the public to find out from the city, "Unfortunately IRIS cameras aren't working..." (and some of them haven't worked in a very long time). But with this new program, if the camera stops working the building/apartment/condo would be more likely to get them repaired. Win-win for the city.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:12 AM, codypet said:

Despite being literally walking distance from my house Kyle's has always been a mess in my experience with using them.  Retro City has done a much much better job IMO.  Orange Cycle is just too darned expensive.   

True story.  Several years ago I walked into Orange Cycle fully intending to buy me & the missus bikes.  After talking with the sales guy and listening to him tell me how cool he was and uncool 99% of the rest of humans riding bikes were and listening to him basically (hyperbolically) tell me that I could die if I bought a cheaper big box store bike instead of his super expensive bike, we left and went to Trevi Pasta for dinner.

I was very honest with him and told him this would just be minor recreation in the evenings around the neighborhood.  He was INTENT on selling me a multi-thousand dollar bike that could've lasted me on 1,000 mile trek through the desert.  He had no interest in my needs or wants.

We decided to buy cheap Walmart bikes instead and RISK IT.  Then we just didn't buy bikes at all and ate pasta & drank wine.  That was way better anyway!

• Haha 3

Any idea what will replace Barbarella/I-Bar? That building is really beat up so unless it's another bar I don't see many tenants excited for that space. I kinda hope that entire  area gets demo'd and we get a nice new building. Save the Beachem (maybe but honestly it's so beat up I question if its even worth it) but the rest of those buildings could be flattened and I wouldn't mind (even though I've had many fun nights along that block). That property would be a beautiful spot for a new signature tower for downtown. I know a lot of those buildings are from the 1920s and 30s, but just because its old doesn't mean its worth saving. 

I see the parking lot behind the buildings was sold in 2019 to the South Orange Blosson (sic) Trail Opportunity Land Trust. The other two parcels don't show anything since 2010. 

The three parcels are just over an acre, not a lot but not that much smaller than the UnionWest footprint in the Creative Village. I'm sure with a nice enough dog and pony show a developer could even buy/lease the City owned property just west of there. The SouthState Bank building just got a new owner so they'd probably be happy to sell/jv a deal for their small garage parcel.