Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

The Redundancy Department of Redundancy just wanted to let you guys know that the South Street/I-4 on-ramp opened a few days ago. The bad news is that this marks the end of Phase I of the I-4/408 interchange transformation and work on the final phase will not begin until 2012 at the earliest.

160100.jpg

Edited by bic

The Redundancy Department of Redundancy just wanted to let you guys know that the South Street/I-4 on-ramp opened a few days ago. The bad news is that this marks the end of Phase I of the I-4/408 interchange transformation and work on the final phase will not begin until 2012 at the earliest.

160100.jpg

Hooray bic! (imagine the Red Stripe Jamaican guy)

2012 huh...

by all rights, that interchange should be U/C now to be ready when the Events Center opens up, b/c it's so close in proximity and will dump so many cars onto it.

I-4 to 408 E or W from either I-4 E or W is still a nightmare.

It's 408W to I-4E and 408E to I-4E which have improved. 408E to I-4W is the same, except they deleted the 408E to I-4E portion. A majority of the double trumpet still exists, but I understand about the whole widening/alignment thing for the remaining ramps.

• 2 weeks later...

A Look at the Recent Trans4mation of I-4 in Central Florida

160681.jpg

US 192 Interchange

Completed: Sept. 2007

Cost: $61 Million

I-4 from Polk County to US 192

Completed: Sept. 2006

Cost: $26.3 Million

160680.jpg

John Young Parkway Interchange

Completed: Jan. 2007

Cost: $38.8 Million

160645.jpg

St. Johns River Veterans Memorial Bridge and I-4 from Orange Blvd. to Saxon Blvd.

Completed: Jun. 2005

Cost: $111.2 Million

US 17-92 Interchange

Completed: Jan. 2008

Cost: $22.6 Million

I-4 from Lake Mary Blvd. to US 17-92

Completed: Nov. 2004

Cost: $28.3 Million

160650.jpg

I-4 from SR 44 to SR 472

Completed: Sept. 2008

Cost: $58.6 Million

I-4 from Saxon Blvd. to SR 472

Completed: Sept. 2007

Cost: $27.6 Million

Not Pictured:

Auxiliary Lanes through Metro Orlando

Completed: Feb. 2004

Cost: $57.7 Million

I-4 Median Guardrail - Orange, Seminole & Volusia Counties

Completed: Oct. 2006

Cost: $7.4 Million

SR 429 Interchange

Turnpike Enterprise Project

Completed: Dec. 2006

That would be an awesome addition.

Well, the actual program is Orange Avenue north of 50, up approximately to Wilkinson Street. Thus, bike lanes to SoDo are not part of the plan. There's been a big brew-ha-ha over the actual design (which removed a great deal of on-street parking) with FDOT and the Ivanhoe Village merchants, which sparked a letter writing campaign to FDOT District 5 Secretary Noranne Downs. I believe the Magnolia/Orange couplet north of 50 gets bike lanes, but the designs should nearly be back to the drawing board if the Secretary keeps her word.

Edited by Jaybee

Well, the actual program is Orange Avenue north of 50, up approximately to Wilkinson Street. Thus, bike lanes to SoDo are not part of the plan. There's been a big brew-ha-ha over the actual design (which removed a great deal of on-street parking) with FDOT and the Ivanhoe Village merchants, which sparked a letter writing campaign to FDOT District 5 Secretary Noranne Downs. I believe the Magnolia/Orange couplet north of 50 gets bike lanes, but the designs should nearly be back to the drawing board if the Secretary keeps her word.

Now if Orlando bike riders can figure out that they are vehicles and abide by the traffic laws as such. I have almost creamed three guys since October who played the "I'm a vehicle, now I'm a pedestrian on wheels, no I'm a vehicle again" game poorly.

Now if Orlando bike riders can figure out that they are vehicles and abide by the traffic laws as such. I have almost creamed three guys since October who played the "I'm a vehicle, now I'm a pedestrian on wheels, no I'm a vehicle again" game poorly.

As a bicyclist, I will say you really have to be more careful if you ride on the sidewalk, as opposed to when you ride on a large one way street such as Orange or Magnolia. Or any street, really.

Kirkman Road/I-4 Interchange Improvements

2006:

161782.jpg

Future Improvements:

161776.jpg

The new Kirkman interchange will enhance access between I-4 and Kirkman Road and add ramps directly accessing future special use lanes (SUL), which will be built along the I-4 corridor to enhance traffic flow. When the project is completed, new ramps will connect eastbound I-4 and southbound Kirkman Road for those both entering and exiting the interstate. Currently, eastbound I-4 drivers cannot exit onto southbound Kirkman Road, and vice versa. Once I-4 SULs are constructed, eastbound and westbound I-4 drivers using those lanes will be able to exit onto Kirkman Road in either direction. In addition, Kirkman Road drivers in either direction will be able to enter directly onto eastbound I-4 SULs.

Kirkman Road/I-4 Interchange Improvements

2006:

161782.jpg

Future Improvements:

161776.jpg

The new Kirkman interchange will enhance access between I-4 and Kirkman Road and add ramps directly accessing future special use lanes (SUL), which will be built along the I-4 corridor to enhance traffic flow. When the project is completed, new ramps will connect eastbound I-4 and southbound Kirkman Road for those both entering and exiting the interstate. Currently, eastbound I-4 drivers cannot exit onto southbound Kirkman Road, and vice versa. Once I-4 SULs are constructed, eastbound and westbound I-4 drivers using those lanes will be able to exit onto Kirkman Road in either direction. In addition, Kirkman Road drivers in either direction will be able to enter directly onto eastbound I-4 SULs.

those flyovers they are planning in the interchange are going to look sweet. when are they supposed to start construction?

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh -- this picture proves everything that is wrong with the Centroplex area. This whole area needs to be leveled and rebuilt with the pedestrian in mind if they ever want an urban environment with street life.

After they sell the land from the Amway Arena & Bob Carr they might. I don't know too much about urban design but it looks like there's too much surface parking and nothing that would really draw pedestrians over there (especially once the 2 older venues are gone). What can we do?

After they sell the land from the Amway Arena & Bob Carr they might. I don't know too much about urban design but it looks like there's too much surface parking and nothing that would really draw pedestrians over there (especially once the 2 older venues are gone). What can we do?

Give it to Forest City Ratner, Hines or Related and have them master plan it.

Give it to Forest City Ratner, Hines or Related and have them master plan it.

What would they do with it? I know the city is trying to establish a digital village.

I was hoping resdiences would be built over there, although I don't know if now is the time.

What would they do with it? I know the city is trying to establish a digital village.

I was hoping resdiences would be built over there, although I don't know if now is the time.

The money is drying up for the venues, and the Creative Village idea I thought suspect from the start. Now its a pipe dream.

The money is drying up for the venues, and the Creative Village idea I thought suspect from the start. Now its a pipe dream.

But we will need to do something with the land from the current events center. I'm hoping the PAC goes through. Maybe the best thing for the Citrus Bowl is not to go through. Maybe in a few years there will be more money available and we can redo the thing right.