Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Who’s face? The little old ladies?  I think they know exactly what they are and arent building.  They are just happy to get rid of the 7-11 and prevent a highrise.  It will only blowback on anyone who bought into their talking points but even then thats not a large group 

I'm happy they prevented a high rise from going up there but tearing down the building is unnecessary.  

Something really decent could have gone in there.

Nice little burger joint or lunch counter or whatever.

I'm with those who hope the site turns into a flop spot for the homeless.

And I hope they use the old ladies' property as their toilet.

If that comes to pass, we should (figuratively) rub their noses in it.

Emails, social media, snail mail, etc, etc.    

• Like 2

I think everyone could agree that the 7-11 was a problem on this corner.

I think we can all agree this wasn't the highest and best use of the property.

We're probably all split about the area adjacent to the park needing to be some kind of high rise or if it should have remained a park.

I think we can all agree though that it was misleading to acquire the space under the pretense of expanding the park into this area since there would have to be two other buildings acquired for that to occur and it didn't appear there was any intent behind acquiring those buildings.   

I'm with @JFW657, it wasn't an issue until it became 7-11.  When it was a real estate office in the mid 00's or even that artsy nightclub in the late 00's, it didn't have the homeless issues it seemed to have when 7-11 moved in.   We do know the homeless like to congregate there now, and that a vacant lot is going to be prime for them unless they fence it off or something.   If they do that, they'll be taking some heat for that too since their pretense was to make it a public space.

• Like 1

Not to mention only 5000 sq ft of park space is being gained at the moment... all for a walled off noisy parklet.

Are we going to demolish Modera Mondrian on Lake Eola next?? Just asking because DGX is basically the new 7-Eleven lol. I drive by that intersection pretty much daily. The Mondrian seems to lack security guards to shoo away the stragglers so homeless people have pretty much camped out under the overhang ever since the building opened.

The soft opening of the shoe store also trashed up the area quite a bit too, hopefully they nip that behavior in the bud.

Edited by nite owℓ

19 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Not to mention only 5000 sq ft of park space is being gained at the moment... all for a walled off noisy parklet.

Are we going to demolish Modera Mondrian on Lake Eola next?? Just asking because DGX is basically the new 7-Eleven lol. I drive by that intersection pretty much daily. The Mondrian seems to lack security guards to shoo away the stragglers so homeless people have pretty much camped out under the overhang ever since the building opened.

The soft opening of the shoe store also trashed up the area quite a bit too, hopefully they nip that behavior in the bud.

Is that sidewalk considered public property? If not, I'm a little surprised they don't have someone to shoo them away. The actual "hang out" spot is in front of the County Admin building though. I see people walk across the street to go pee in the bushes all the time...

47 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Is that sidewalk considered public property? If not, I'm a little surprised they don't have someone to shoo them away. The actual "hang out" spot is in front of the County Admin building though. I see people walk across the street to go pee in the bushes all the time...

Well they're loitering directly under the overhang, leaning up against the building, bedding on the walkway, etc. Most buildings downtown do not tolerate this and I'm sure it violates city ordinance. Just no enforcement over there apparently.

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Why? Why is a 1-2 story building better usage than a high rise?

Depends on what one's definition of "better usage" is.

I suppose a sociology or urban design textbook might define it as utilizing a parcel of land to provide residential housing for the largest number of people possible along with a few locations for small business, etc., etc.

I don't think it's a one size fits all proposition though.

Each instance has its own set of circumstances and I don't think such a pragmatic view is always the best one.

I think that in this particular instance and this particular location, aesthetics and ambience are more important than efficiency.

I feel it would have been better usage in terms of those two aspects, to have that building renovated and remodeled, possibly with another floor or two added if feasible, and some kind of desirable businesses occupy it.

Screenshot-20220419-162741.jpg

Personally, I like the small scale of that shady, inviting old corner with it's nice old trees and old sidewalk.

I would hate to see it destroyed and replaced with a cold, barren streetscape and an ugly concrete tower.  

While I'd prefer to save the existing historic buildings, I think any development (lowrise or highrise) can work as long as it is well thought out and properly planned. The highrise planned for Rosalind/Central also took the park transition into account--it wasn't an abrupt transition and the restaurant and outdoor dining area would have provided a nice amenity.

151543611_LEhighrise.png.da1d03a9c3411c38b6ad39d076700302.png

Additional park space on Rosalind/Central will be about as useful as the Robinson/Eola corner--negligible (especially after they dress it up with hardscape entrance features). People generally don't like hanging out next to vehicle traffic and noise. It winds up being additional park space in name only.

2065549065_EolaRobinson.thumb.jpg.8f74bcdcbdbf1ced1a537270945b0b14.jpg

The previous park expansion provided the most usable green space with a park-like ambiance without being located on a busy street with vehicle traffic and obnoxious noise. IMO, it seems like people naturally gravitate to this area the most due to these attributes.

1245537808_Parkexpansion.thumb.jpg.6dedfb614733f93a9c7baed2096190cc.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Thank you! The highrise that was planned (and I know it was likely to be value engineered) was probably the best looking building we've had proposed in downtown in forever. People acting like they were trying to put up another Steelhouse or something.

Sadly, that isn't saying much.... <_<   

48 minutes ago, bqknight said:

SIAP...Interesting and not in a great way. I'd rather them just keep the green space - people use it for their dogs all the time. 

https://bungalower.com/2022/04/19/womp-womp-empty-lot-by-lake-eola-could-get-a-drive-thru-atm/

I was sitting in this MPB meeting and just wanted to yell "WHYYYY?!?!"

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

SIAP...Interesting and not in a great way. I'd rather them just keep the green space - people use it for their dogs all the time. 

https://bungalower.com/2022/04/19/womp-womp-empty-lot-by-lake-eola-could-get-a-drive-thru-atm/

People already struggle driving on Central, this is going to be a mess of people pulling out onto it.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

It's not. Should've definitely been a high ride or park space. 

If I had the money, I'd build an observation attraction overlooking central Florida right at lake eola. Kind of Like sea worlds observation tower. I would have O R L A N D O on top in the shape of a circle as it rotates a few times. I know Central Florida isn't pretty to some but it's true nature of the lakes and hills one way and the marsh and palms the other is pretty decent from high up. It'd get people into downtown to see Orlando for more than the theme parks. I'd make it probably right at 1000 ft. I know it's a dream but downtown Orlando needs something. Can't compete with the water front cities too much.  That whole corner could be a destination. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

nature of the lakes and hills one way and the marsh and palms the other is pretty decent from high up

Ah.  Ye ole Citrus Tower awaits your afternoon arrival.  Enjoy.

Just now, jgardnerucf said:

Do the Hall of Presidents also while you're at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgardnerucf said:

Do the Hall of Presidents also while you're at it.

The Citrus Tower was a lot more enjoyable when the view was miles upon miles of orange groves instead of endless subdivisions. On a clear day you can see Disney and downtown, though.

• Like 1