Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

12 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Heard a rumor about a 20 story mixed use tower in downtown backed by a well-funded national developer. 

Are you sure they were talking about DTO ?

Screenshot-20220501-143651.jpg

https://www.realtygroupfl.com/blog/posts/2022/03/09/lake-nona-planning-20-story-apartment-tower-in-town-center/

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, it will absorb into the grass much more easily than it did on the sidewalk so it’s a win-win!

It'll still stink.

And there'll be more of it.

7 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Screenshot-20220501-143651.jpg

https://www.realtygroupfl.com/blog/posts/2022/03/09/lake-nona-planning-20-story-apartment-tower-in-town-center/

It'll still stink.

I wouldn’t worry - not only was the effort one of the most popular citizen-supported projects in decades, but it was also fully Buddy-approved so it must be Practically Perfect In Every Way!

41 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Is this rumor just the CSP2 proposal? 

I thought that proposal was actually 30 stories? The only other 20 story mixed use that might have got the green light with actual funding is the monarch. But I have not heard anything about that since that property changed owners

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It'll still stink.

It wasn't Tavistock. 

It was a developer with many similar projects in Atlanta Midtown.  I don't know and can't say anything else other than the develolper is Legit and the money is there if the interest/demand is there.  Prime developer with solid funding. 

Edited by dcluley98

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

It wasn't Tavistock. 

It was a developer with many similar projects in Atlanta Midtown.  I don't know and can't say anything else other than the develolper is Legit and the money is there if the interest/demand is there.  Prime developer with solid funding. 

Maybe it's a scaled down proposal for the Zoi parcel.

That would be great afaic.

Maybe they could put up a smaller, 20 story tower without having to cut down the....

Oh wait....

Nevermind. <_< 

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I wouldn’t worry - not only was the effort one of the most popular citizen-supported projects in decades, but it was also fully Buddy-approved so it must be Practically Perfect In Every Way!

"most popular citizen-supported projects in decades"... maybe, but I'm not sure how you would define that. Yes, there were 2 citizens that represented the property next door (the Rosalind House) that formed a land trust. And yes, it has some big names attached- Mayor Frederick and Hood as well as some very influential business folks in town. But I'm not sure they had a lot of other citizens involved- I've looked and they do not list their contributions. The property was bought for $3.5M of which the City put up $1.625 and Commissioner Sheehan $100,000.  Which put them at the halfway point to make the close, but if I remember correctly, they were working with a national land trust organization and only had to rase 50% of the purchase price. 

I may be mistaken, but it seems the popular citizen initiative did not involve many citizens.  Does anyone remember seeing fundraisers or signature collecting/ petition signing going on for the project? I don't. Regardless of if I agree with the plan or not, this seems to have been put together by those with influence for those with influence.

Btw, in the City press releases they still say this is an "interim" park, which make me think another purchase is in the works. I'm fine with that, but I think Orlando Land Trust and the City should be more forthright in the plan.

edit correction- Ms. Sheehan contributed $50k from her discretionary fund. The national land trust I mentioned put the money up front and took a holding position on the property until OLT raised the funds to buy them out.

Edited by AmIReal

Per OS re the OLT fundraiser raiser garnered "more than 600 donations ranging from pocket change to $200,000" and "“Granted, we’re going to have to make another acquisition. But I think this group is very successful and motivated and I think we’re going to make that happen.”

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-lake-eola-demolition-20220502-fmbybe3iaze4djjpo37cpdcrlq-story.html

On 5/1/2022 at 5:48 PM, dcluley98 said:

It wasn't Tavistock. 

wasnt it the NY developer in the Growthplanner article this morning?

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

lol

4B1DD5B8-7F06-4211-98E1-F764C2E8FBDF.jpeg

Fake news.  I only say it because I don't think I'll see Lake Eola come to Rosalind and Central in my lifetime.

6 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Taken 5/2/22 around 4PM:

20220502_161526.thumb.jpg.553a8f7fcfd49f345f81a8b9f9a8942c.jpg

BOOOOO!!!!!!  Your bike traffic routing is bad and you should feel bad.

Oh, I don’t know, this is the third addition to the park in my lifetime (in fact, all three were within the last thirty years). Now that there’s a mechanism to fundraise in the OLT, it should take even less time between parcel acquisitions.

Oh, and how about that pic in the Sentinel of Buddy at the controls of the backhoe!?!

Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

“Granted, we’re going to have to make another acquisition. But I think this group is very successful and motivated and I think we’re going to make that happen.”

IDK who owns the Masonic Temple building, but I'm guessing that whoever does isn't going to let it go for anywhere close to what the biddies got the Seb'mnaleb'm for.

Prolly take em decades to raise the millions that would be required.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, codypet said:

BOOOOO!!!!!!  Your bike traffic routing is bad and you should feel bad.

Yeah the city doesn't give a rat's ass about proper sidewalk/lane/street closures. Pathetic group of planners TBH and I'm saying that after living in the thick of it for 10 years.

Edited by nite owℓ

The damage has been done, lot cleared. Terrible.

Not too sure, but it looks like the lower windows at City Centre were sealed off at one point in time... maybe they can open them up again so that it doesn't remain a big blank wall for years to come.

20220506_144858.thumb.jpg.90778ff08e3cafbe9f66630d7d88edc0.jpg

16 minutes ago, GregoryMCSE said:

Maybe a mural of former mayors Glenda Hood, Bill Frederick along with Buddy Dyer.  

Make sure Buddy’s at the controls of his backhoe just like in the Sentinel pic! It would be nice to have something with Mayor Glenda (notice she’s the only former mayor of recent times with nothing named for her?) given she still hasn’t been forgiven by her party for her apostasy on light rail and her back door support for the rights ordinance. She and OC Chair Linda also endured more than their share of misogyny.

For Mayor Bill, he could be jumping out of his limo, pistol in hand, to subdue the evildoer in front of Ronnie’s. A full history lesson in one mural!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 2