Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

7 hours ago, jrs2 said:

this would probably have something to do with the improvements to Lake Eola Park along that corridor I was told about from one of the park rangers; I think they want to build a wall (uh, oh...is Buddy in cahoots with He who shall rename nameless?).

they did something similar at UF over the past 20 years or so.  brick and concrete along University with concrete "capstones" or whatever; very Ivy League looking...they even integrated concrete bus stop benches and molded them into the wall-work structure.  I was impressed.

I hope that happens!!!

I have expressed here before,  my wish for a Central Park style stone wall around Eola Park.

Even if all we get is the Robinson side, it would be something.  

• Like 1

More on the Robinson St /FL 526 redo from The Sentinel:

FDOT on Robinson St. overhaul: It’s your road Orlando people, now design it
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-ne-robinson-street-remake-meeting-20220729-fy5cnvsxavb4jd5bthljpcvcjy-story.html

*looks in the pics for @codypet*

Uh-oh - what will @JFW657do:

“Robinson will be reconfigured so that drivers will find it difficult to exceed 25 mph.”

Of course, the South/Anderson pair is still there for you to get out there in your Maserati… 

https://youtu.be/H8ocviQ3ux0

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/26/2022 at 7:19 PM, JFW657 said:

I hope that happens!!!

I have expressed here before,  my wish for a Central Park style stone wall around Eola Park.

Even if all we get is the Robinson side, it would be something.  

yeah, they were concerned about safety for the wildlife there, geese, etc., I think they could do a nice one...but...nice = expensive...

They don't really have to worry about Central b/c Central is kind of elevated above the level of the park for a good portion of the way.  Robinson needs some sort of barrier.  THey could do hedges but then that would cost money to maintain...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

yeah, they were concerned about safety for the wildlife there, geese, etc., I think they could do a nice one...but...nice = expensive...

They don't really have to worry about Central b/c Central is kind of elevated above the level of the park for a good portion of the way.  Robinson needs some sort of barrier.  THey could do hedges but then that would cost money to maintain...

Hopefully they'll use the same style of material along Robinson as they use on the tiered concourse area along Central...

Screenshot-20220729-112708.jpg

I'd like to see that along Eola Dr. and Rosalind, too.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Wouldn't that have to go through city council or something? 

You'd think. They have been trying to push that through for years but owners never wanted it I think because it required them to hire security or something. I was confused too but they have already extended these guys shifts til 3am for some stupid reason so something is happening.

54 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

One of those downtown ambassador guys told me they are extending bar hours now so they can stay open til 3 and I guess have people stagger exits more?

The bar owners were pushing the later closing time back in the 2000's. but Buddy did not push it forward. The idea was people would leave at various times instead of everyone dumping out into the streets at 2am. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jack said:

The bar owners were pushing the later closing time back in the 2000's. but Buddy did not push it forward. The idea was people would leave at various times instead of everyone dumping out into the streets at 2am. 

In the article the Sentinel published earlier this week, he mentioned it had been suggested. At the time, it looked like he was pushing back, but it appears that’s changed.

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

One of those downtown ambassador guys told me they are extending bar hours now so they can stay open til 3 and I guess have people stagger exits more?

I mean I recall the , what, 6am closing times in the mid to late '90's?  was crime more prevalent then than now?  we were the Rave Capital of the US per Rolling Stone...

8 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I mean I recall the , what, 6am closing times in the mid to late '90's?  was crime more prevalent then than now?  we were the Rave Capital of the US per Rolling Stone...

Ummmm, for bars in Orlando it’s been 2am since I turned 18 in 1976 (legal age before St. Ronnie made states change it). You may be talking about after-hours clubs, which were permitted differently and couldn’t serve alcohol (not that, especially downtown, there weren’t plenty of alternative ways to get high).

Edited by spenser1058

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

In the article the Sentinel published earlier this week, he mentioned it had been suggested. At the time, it looked like he was pushing back, but it appears that’s changed.

He is running out of options. 

When it was proposed years ago, it seemed like a decent solution. I always hated that so many people would dump out into the streets at the same time. Seems like that is when the trouble starts. 

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Ummmm, for bars in Orlando it’s been 2am since I turned 18 in 1976 (legal age before St. Ronnie made states change it). You may be talking about after-hours clubs, which were permitted differently and couldn’t serve alcohol (not that, especially downtown, there weren’t plenty of alternative ways to get high).

really?  ok...I guess I remembered it wrong...or..people telling me they would rave until 6am...  Taco Bell people told me when they close, they have to stay open until everyone leaves, even if it's over an hour later...

28 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

really?  ok...I guess I remembered it wrong...or..people telling me they would rave until 6am...  Taco Bell people told me when they close, they have to stay open until everyone leaves, even if it's over an hour later...

Taco Bell (assuming you mean downtown) isn’t a bar, it’s a restaurant with a beer and wine license. Different rules  (at Darryl’s we had a restaurant w/a liquor license, and we had to be careful ‘cuz our bar biz was huge, and if we sold more booze than that license allowed, we were SOL. Anyway, you can’t sell booze beyond last call and if that’s your revenue base, you have no incentive to stay open (also your employees want to push people out asap so they can go home or party elsewhere).

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

The places with liquor licenses were always 2 am.  The "Rave" clubs often did not serve alcohol or got around it with a loophole (the main one was you brought your own booze, give it to them, and the give it back to you throughout the night for a fee).  A LOT of the early AM clubs were based around "Exstacy" (MDMA) and other similar party drugs at the time. In the mid-late nineties they got rid of these loopholes with the "Rave-ordinance". https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1997-03-18-9703180160-story.html

It passed in l997 or 1998.  I know this because I was at some of those parties in Tampa, Orlando, and Gainesville as a kid before the law passed. It was a big deal at the time, and in college at UF, many were upset by the changed time.

Honestly, the rave parties were always "safer" than the boozefests I have been to over the years. The Rave culture people actually looked after one another a lot of times.  The main reason for the backlash was from people over-dosing on drugs or severe incidents of dehydration or passing out. I seem to recall the main "horror-story" backing the narrative was a girl that passed out at a rave and hit her head on the floor. Obviously there were issues with drugs, but a lot of it was not about the drugs. (I never really got into the whole exstacy thing, wasn't into it)  I was there for the party and the girls. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

I think 3am is a good compromise.

Everywhere outside of FL I've been, alcohol sales end at 2AM but that means the people shutting the place down get their last drink then, but they don't kick people out until ~230.  Orlando tends to do last call at like 140-145 and pretty much shuts down at 2.  If you're a regular, you can get 210ish.  This leads to the mass exodus of everyone leaving at once as opposed to people slowly trickling out over a 40 minute period.

3 both will be a happy medium and also a differentiator to attract more people.  Win-win.  (Though those days are behind me ha)

• Haha 1