Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

41 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

what browser are you using?  it still is not automatically imbedding the video into your posts...

There is an option that appears at the bottom of the post field when you paste a video url, that allows you to display it as a link instead of an embedded thumbnail.

But you have to purposely select it.

Why anyone would prefer to do it that way, I don't know.  

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

There is an option that appears at the bottom of the post field when you paste a video url, that allows you to display it as a link instead of an embedded thumbnail.

But you have to purposely select it.

Why anyone would prefer to do it that way, I don't know.  

I use Chrome and as soon as I do a copy of the url and then paste it into the text field of the comment, it automatically creates the imbedded video. I've never noticed that setting, and I have to admit that I was surprised that the first time I did that, about 2-3 months back) I was shocked that it did it automatically...I figured that's how everyone else was doing it.

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

I use Chrome and as soon as I do a copy of the url and then paste it into the text field of the comment, it automatically creates the imbedded video. I've never noticed that setting, and I have to admit that I was surprised that the first time I did that, about 2-3 months back) I was shocked that it did it automatically...I figured that's how everyone else was doing it.

For me, it used to do it automatically but once I changed my Apple privacy settings it didn’t anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 2:58 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

One of those downtown ambassador guys told me they are extending bar hours now so they can stay open til 3 and I guess have people stagger exits more?

They are looking at staggering closings. Some earlier, some as late as 3. There will likely be costs (fees) associated with staying open later. The commission is looking into NEW businesses having to pay an additional fee (license) to open at all, require more security, etc. Also, parking lots are going to get reigned in and have to provide security. The key is to make operating bars and parking lots as onerous as possible.

38 minutes ago, GregoryMCSE said:

Great shot.  

I forgot I posted it here.  Just re-uploaded it in the CSP thread.  I love the reflection on the glass.  I screwed the pooch, though.  After the concert, I went to 180 and had a great shot of CSP with the lights on, but the railing was crowded with patrons and I couldn't set up for a nighttime still.  It was awesome...or could've been.  I was really bummed about it...

Four new sculptures will be displayed at the Brick Bunker, from Jan 2023 -2024. We’re gonna have more art downtown than you can shake a stick (or an asparagus) at!

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/10/orange-county-reveals-new-year-long-sculpture-installation-choices/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Four new sculptures will be displayed at the Brick Bunker, from Jan 2023 -2024. We’re gonna have more art downtown than you can shake a stick (or an asparagus) at!

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/10/orange-county-reveals-new-year-long-sculpture-installation-choices/

From Bungalower 

I know you're probably tired of hearing me make allusions again and again to La Casa Ditka all the time, but if orlando could land a major sculptor and get one or two monumental sculptures, that could really be culturally huge.  Picasso, Calder, etc...  not that these other guys are funkies, but it's akin to having a bunch of Timex watches when just a single Rolex get the room's attention.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I know you're probably tired of hearing me make allusions again and again to La Casa Ditka all the time, but if orlando could land a major sculptor and get one or two monumental sculptures, that could really be culturally huge.  Picasso, Calder, etc...  not that these other guys are funkies, but it's akin to having a bunch of Timex watches when just a single Rolex get the room's attention.

It’s a bold idea, but to direct the resources into a direction like that would require a vision Orlando doesn’t have and won’t have until we have a leader that thinks about those kinds of things.

Instead we just drift on a sea of meh and the results show.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s a bold idea, but to direct the resources into a direction like that would require a vision Orlando doesn’t have and won’t have until we have a leader that thinks about those kinds of things.

Not sure how much one would have to fork over for something like that...in today's dollars...

1280px-Calder_Flamingo.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I think you’d be paying for the name as much as anything else. It’s all about the brand.

The yard art at OMA has a tad bit of this element ala steel shapes, and also looks a little like the French Fries at GPA near Century Tower at uf.  

Also, the large black sculpture at the Fed Cthse has that size element (just sounds so dirty).  

Dunno. But the plaza fronting The Plaza was a golden opportunity for a Chicago guy to bring a slice of Chicago to Orlando. Didn't happen.  That art thats there was a City thing...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

The yard art at OMA has a tad bit of this element ala steel shapes, and also looks a little like the French Fries at GPA near Century Tower at uf.  

Also, the large black sculpture at the Fed Cthse has that size element (just sounds so dirty).  

Dunno. But the plaza fronting The Plaza was a golden opportunity for a Chicago guy to bring a slice of Chicago to Orlando. Didn't happen.  That art thats there was a City thing...

The Plaza sculpture thing became a mess. Someone had the idea of sculptures of Orlando leaders and other local folks but then it got bogged down on who they could include.

Fortunately, the idea got resurrected over in CV but focusing on important local civil rights folks.

More restrictions on theway for the downtown core:

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/14/city-hall-cracking-down-on-late-night-bad-behavior-with-more-ordinances/

From Bungalower 

Maybe, just maybe, they’ll finally address the underlying disease instead of just treating the symptoms:

“A city employee in the Economic Development offices at City Hall recently shared with Bungalower that plans are in the works to actively incentivize non-bar uses in the downtown area, much like the recent $307,000 grant the mayor’s office gave to Orlando Fringe to move into the former home of Mad Cow Theater.”

As Commissioner Jim Gray points out, there are simply too many bars downtown. He has estimated more than 100. Until that’s dialed back, it’s all just lipstick on a pig.

It was interesting to note a new process  to make sure the bars are actively policing themselves is only for new bars and bar owners. Barkeep Buddy is still shielding the cabal that lines his campaign’s pockets and got us into this mess decades ago. The more things change in The City Inebriated, the more they stay the same.

Edited by spenser1058

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As Commissioner Jim Gray points out, there are simply too many bars downtown. He has estimated more than 100. Until that’s dialed back, it’s all just lipstick on a pig.

... wut.  Jim Gray clearly does not frequent downtown bars.  Unless he's including Parramore, Thornton, and every restaurant with a liquor license his estimate is off.

Top of my head brings us to 72, and at least 20-25 are food/venues (and I'm being generous), largely separated by street...  Also, may of these are all "one" bar that I'm counting separately (Chillers, Cahoots, Latitudes; Fuel, Stokes, Swiggs are all just one big bar that happens to have different names for different areas.

Harry Buff
AC Sky Bar
Cheyenne
Marys
The place that replaced Lions Pub
Latitudes
Cahoots
Chillers
23 Church whatever it is
The other side of 23 Church

Basement
Attic
Treehouse
Shots
Aloha Beautiful
Mathers
Robinson
Crow
Shakai
Bullitt
Hansons
Mai Thai
Corona
Tanquerays
Hallows and Screams
The alley bar behind 55W
The concert venue thing across from 7Eleven

Stagger
Swiggs
Stokes
Fuel
Caseys
Ono
The thing that used to be Bar B
The Beer Bar across from the fire station
Ember

Celine
Harp
Celt
The Bar with the lamps
Corner Pizza

Cantina
Other Bar (Its Irish now)
Waitiki
Monkey Bar
Hooch
Shine
Tiny bar with bras on the ceiling
New cocktail place that replaced Subway

WXYZ Bar
Sidebar
The one Club
The other club that’s also Hookah
Dapper Duck
Pourhouse
Underground
Office
Thrive
Beachem
Whatever Finns became
Lizzys (closing)
Lodge
Woods
Aero
I Bar (closed?)
64 North
Sly Fox
Saddle
Elixir
Neon Beach
Motorworks
Pups Pub

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Its the kind of bars too.  The Ivanhoe kind of bars downtown wouldn't be an issue.  Except there's so many trashy bars downtown that the middle aged crowd would rather go to Ivanhoe or the Milk.

Unless you want to make your city massively unappealing for young adults, there's always going an area of "the kind of bars".  I've seen a few articles referencing that Gen Z doesn't drink as much as Millennials.  At least with the older Gen Z, I haven't noticed this trend.  Perhaps as we go into the younger Gen Z and Gen Alpha, that will be the case.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

... wut.  Jim Gray clearly does not frequent downtown bars.  Unless he's including Parramore, Thornton, and every restaurant with a liquor license his estimate is off.

Top of my head brings us to 72, and at least 20-25 are food/venues (and I'm being generous), largely separated by street...  Also, may of these are all "one" bar that I'm counting separately (Chillers, Cahoots, Latitudes; Fuel, Stokes, Swiggs are all just one big bar that happens to have different names for different areas.

Harry Buff
AC Sky Bar
Cheyenne
Marys
The place that replaced Lions Pub
Latitudes
Cahoots
Chillers
23 Church whatever it is
The other side of 23 Church

Basement
Attic
Treehouse
Shots
Aloha Beautiful
Mathers
Robinson
Crow
Shakai
Bullitt
Hansons
Mai Thai
Corona
Tanquerays
Hallows and Screams
The alley bar behind 55W
The concert venue thing across from 7Eleven

Stagger
Swiggs
Stokes
Fuel
Caseys
Ono
The thing that used to be Bar B
The Beer Bar across from the fire station
Ember

Celine
Harp
Celt
The Bar with the lamps
Corner Pizza

Cantina
Other Bar (Its Irish now)
Waitiki
Monkey Bar
Hooch
Shine
Tiny bar with bras on the ceiling
New cocktail place that replaced Subway

WXYZ Bar
Sidebar
The one Club
The other club that’s also Hookah
Dapper Duck
Pourhouse
Underground
Office
Thrive
Beachem
Whatever Finns became
Lizzys (closing)
Lodge
Woods
Aero
I Bar (closed?)
64 North
Sly Fox
Saddle
Elixir
Neon Beach
Motorworks
Pups Pub

Unless you want to make your city massively unappealing for young adults, there's always going an area of "the kind of bars".  I've seen a few articles referencing that Gen Z doesn't drink as much as Millennials.  At least with the older Gen Z, I haven't noticed this trend.  Perhaps as we go into the younger Gen Z and Gen Alpha, that will be the case.

So let’s keep downtown just as it is. Gosh, it’s perfect. Everyone’s flocking to it!

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

More restrictions on theway for the downtown core:

https://bungalower.com/2022/08/14/city-hall-cracking-down-on-late-night-bad-behavior-with-more-ordinances/

From Bungalower 

Maybe, just maybe, they’ll finally address the underlying disease instead of just treating the symptoms:

“A city employee in the Economic Development offices at City Hall recently shared with Bungalower that plans are in the works to actively incentivize non-bar uses in the downtown area, much like the recent $307,000 grant the mayor’s office gave to Orlando Fringe to move into the former home of Mad Cow Theater.”

It was interesting to note a new process  to make sure the bars are actively policing themselves is only for new bars and bar owners. Barkeep Buddy is still shielding the cabal that lines his campaign’s pockets and got us into this mess decades ago. The more things change in The City Inebriated, the more they stay the same.

Oh boy.

Years ago, Daytona said see ya MTV and then see ya BET TV.  The beach died; people went out of business b/c they wanted to change their "image" with no backup plan in place.

"Too many" is dictated or should be dictated by the economy, not by regulations.  Not getting into politics and all...but if the economy supports it, then why not have bars paying rent and driving demand for paid parking slots and meters and late night eateries?  Gitto's Pizza would close; Gringos Locos would close...  Why even do that?  

There are a few newer bars that have opened up that are a little classier; Mathers, The Robinson Room, Bellhop, etc...  But as far as college bars, I say so what.  You can't and shouldn't limit that.   That would be like I-Drive limiting the number of eateries and motels b/c they want to change the demographic of who goes there.

You can't force a Park Avenue atmosphere if the economics don't support it (if that's what they're going after).  And you can't tell a landlord that she cannot renew the lease on a successful bar b/c the city wants a different business in there.  You'll destroy downtown and cause companies to not renew their leases and go to Lake Mary and Maitland instead, while giving the City... The Finger.  

The City has done a lousy job with regards to the vagrants problem.  You cannot go 1/2 a block without getting hit up for money.  People wonder why Medical City even exists.  What major companies are going to put up with that environment for their employees?  Well, the answer is not that many.  I'm surprised places like Kress still exist where it's located right around the corner from the new 7-Eleven, namely, Walgreens.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, spenser1058 said:

Can I assume you are not a fan of the art installation around Lake Eola? 

I agree the Calder work would be great, but when comparing the public art of this administration to the previous 2 admins, it is obvious the Dyer admin has done much better. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Everyone’s flocking to it!

This is actually much of the problem. OPD has reported the biggest problems downtown are not the people in the bars, it is those that come downtown to hang out.