Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

4 hours ago, smonteserin said:

I don’t know your opinion on Parking minimums, but they generally can help encourage more people centered developments. 

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2022/06/08/less-parking-could-mean-more-housing

Harassing delivery drivers who service downtown businesses is no way to encourage downtown businesses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Harassing delivery drivers who service downtown businesses is no way to encourage downtown businesses. 

there are loading zones along Pine St and I'm sure other side streets.  They should probably have those also along Orange Ave as well.  They've got those three spots in front of Gitto's but that's it.  Nothing but metered parking ONLY after like 6pm daily.  There's no reason for that.  I never see a congested line of cars on Orange Ave during working hours.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

They've been demoing the existing building all week.   Meanwhile the collapsing duplex at 1810 Robinson that was being listed as a clean sheet because of how bad it was and was listed for $297k and sold for $340 somehow avoided the wrecking ball and had been spruced up quite nicely.  I don't know how that was worth saving, but apparently it was.

image.thumb.png.859e2b6195adcd4f1c942fa3c37bb69c.png

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Orlando/1810-E-Robinson-St-32803/home/177889517

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1

Couple of updates on some smaller "Downtown" projects. 

1. The site fence is up for the Art2 park/container pavilion/video screen/food truck area. Construction should begin shortly. (sorry for the overcast photo, it was about to storm like hell). 

20220921_172435.thumb.jpg.c46e8e923c82d0a9b474447d242dbebb.jpg

2. The Electric Car Charging Station from OUC and affiliated with the I-4 ultimate and downtown chiller plant is well underway and curbs/stub-ups for the chargers are in the ground. This is a pretty big deal for urban infrastructure and alternative transportation capabilities to get to and from downtown. https://bungalower.com/2022/04/12/construction-has-begun-on-new-ev-charging-hub-in-downtown-orlando/

20220921_172726.thumb.jpg.21290e933c15ae7e7a66d825ff1fce55.jpg

3.  No picture, but they were working on the interior of the old "Whalburgers" space in the 200 South Orange Ave building.  It is supposed to be built out as a new taco/burrito place.  Shipped in air conditioning equipment today and were working inside with covers up blocking the windows. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Couple of updates on some smaller "Downtown" projects. 

1. The site fence is up for the Art2 park/container pavilion/video screen/food truck area. Construction should begin shortly. (sorry for the overcast photo, it was about to storm like hell). 

20220921_172435.thumb.jpg.c46e8e923c82d0a9b474447d242dbebb.jpg

2. The Electric Car Charging Station from OUC and affiliated with the I-4 ultimate and downtown chiller plant is well underway and curbs/stub-ups for the chargers are in the ground. This is a pretty big deal for urban infrastructure and alternative transportation capabilities to get to and from downtown. https://bungalower.com/2022/04/12/construction-has-begun-on-new-ev-charging-hub-in-downtown-orlando/

20220921_172726.thumb.jpg.21290e933c15ae7e7a66d825ff1fce55.jpg

3.  No picture, but they were working on the interior of the old "Whalburgers" space in the 200 South Orange Ave building.  It is supposed to be built out as a new taco/burrito place.  Shipped in air conditioning equipment today and were working inside with covers up blocking the windows. 

More tacos for Orlando - @sunshinewill be proud! Now for some burgers and beer…

• Like 1

the stainless & chrome "ball" on a stand sculpture that you see from Garland NB or EB ramp to I-4 has flood lights on it.  Last night they were green and blue.  The only problem is that b/c the ball is so smooth, it really doesn't refract the light that much if at all and you almost don't notice it still.  And it doesn't help matters much that the skywalk which is lit is near there and takes your attention away from it.  Sorry, no photos.

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:39 PM, jrs2 said:

the stainless & chrome "ball" on a stand sculpture that you see from Garland NB or EB ramp to I-4 has flood lights on it.  Last night they were green and blue.  The only problem is that b/c the ball is so smooth, it really doesn't refract the light that much if at all and you almost don't notice it still.  And it doesn't help matters much that the skywalk which is lit is near there and takes your attention away from it.  Sorry, no photos.

I always end up seeing a homeless encampment underneath there.  From my experience riding OPD seems unwilling to enforce the transients on that trail between Ameila and Orange.  Its been going on pre-pandemic.  I have coworkers who are afraid to walk that trail when getting off the train to get to NQ.  Instead they take their chances along Orange.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, codypet said:

I always end up seeing a homeless encampment underneath there.  From my experience riding OPD seems unwilling to enforce the transients on that trail between Ameila and Orange.  Its been going on pre-pandemic.  I have coworkers who are afraid to walk that trail when getting off the train to get to NQ.  Instead they take their chances along Orange.

Priorities ?   

8 minutes ago, codypet said:

I've been held at gunpoint by around 2 dozen or so OPD officers while helping my friend move because they had the wrong address and were looking for someone they already had booked in jail weeks before.  So you'll have to forgive me if feel that department is not great at doing their job. 

Given the local Republican parties and gubernatorial appointments have been  busy breaking more laws lately than the residentially-challenged folks around town, I’d rather concentrate on the former…

2 minutes ago, codypet said:

I've been held at gunpoint by around 2 dozen or so OPD officers while helping my friend move because they had the wrong address and were looking for someone they already had booked in jail weeks before.  So you'll have to forgive me if feel that department is not great at doing their job. 

Well, all I can say is that when we have human beings performing services for us, there will be imperfections and mistakes will be made.  

But that still doesn't change the fact that there aren't enough cops to cover every area all the time. 

Not to mention the reality of more serious crimes and other situations going on that take priority over homeless people harassing people on a bike trail.

Given the way everyone is suing them nowadays, making excessive force complaints against them and with the help of the media, making them out to be the real criminals, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that they back burner non-violent/non-emergency situations.  

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Lots-of-guns.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, JFW657 said:

Well, all I can say is that when we have human beings performing services for us, there will be imperfections and mistakes will be made.  

But that still doesn't change the fact that there aren't enough cops to cover every area all the time. 

Not to mention the reality of more serious crimes and other situations going on that take priority over homeless people harassing people on a bike trail.

Given the way everyone is suing them nowadays, making excessive force complaints against them and with the help of the media, making them out to be the real criminals, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that they back burner non-violent/non-emergency situations.  

wow.  I may have pegged you wrong...

• 2 weeks later...

Nobu hotel and restaurant in downtown Orlando? Color me skeptical. 10-1 odds if this ends up happening at all that it's going to be built near Disney or in the tourist area.

https://floridayimby.com/2022/10/nobu-hotel-orlando-to-offer-luxury-accommodations-in-orange-county-fl.html

"Nobu Hotel Orlando is a new development slated for Orlando, Florida. The venture is a partnership between actor Robert DeNiro, film producer Meir Teper, and Japanese chef Nobu Matsuhisa.

The hotel could open in 2025, per GrowthSpotter. The venture’s website reports that the resort will comprise 300 rooms (including eight villas) and 50 “stylish” homes. At this time, the cost of renting a room is not available. Yet, similarly-styled hotels in the area charge over $1,000 per night.

The venture is slated for Orlando, FL. The hotel’s renderings are not available at this time.

Amenities comprise conference areas, meeting space, and an on-site Nobu restaurant. The hotel sits on a 50-acre site, and AIC Hotel Group (Nobu’s parent company) acquired the site for $32.75 million in 2018.

Sources report that construction could start on the venture in May 2023. They also report that as of October 13, 2022, the venture was in its conceptual design phase. Nobu Hotel Orlando could cost around $75 million to complete.

Nobu Hospitality owns the venture. Based in New York, the organization presently has 14 hotels under the Nobu banner in the U.S. It describes its accommodations as “modern cool luxury and minimal Japanese tradition into the concept of a lifestyle hotel.” Nobu Hotel Orlando’s exact address hasn’t been disclosed. However, it’s slated for Orlando, Florida, 32801, in Orange County."

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Nobu hotel and restaurant in downtown Orlando? Color me skeptical. 10-1 odds if this ends up happening at all that it's going to be built near Disney or in the tourist area.

The development is supposed to sit on 50 acres just north of the Orlando World Center Marriott.

• Haha 1