Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

I was looking at the Baker Barrios website portfolio and came across this project: Baker Barrios - Center for Science

There is no information about this project but the rendering shows what appears to be the proposed 55 Columbia Street medical building. Could this be an Orlando project?

Certainly looks like there is enough room for the entire project on that site.

I don't think so, the building being built at 55 Columbia St. is featured in the masterplan of the project.

Also, I think it would be pretty cool if there was a Center of Science in close proximity to Downtown Orlando. Employees who want to live closer to work would take up the residential inventory that's remaining in Downtown and prevent increased sprawl in the nether-regions of Orange County.

I wonder if there are any articles about a future Center of Science and who'll be sponsoring it because the name sounds pretty generic and dull.

Sees like a new building is on the planning block near downtown Orlando, city documents show.

Read more: New building on tap near downtown, city documents show - Charlotte Business Journal

More on the company: www.cthsu.com

Interesting point about the parking situation in downtown. With garages like Jefferson sitting nearly completely empty (yet staffed, fully lit and operation for the small amount of people that park there), you'd wonder if the city couldn't extend some kind of discounted parking incentive for businesses moving into the core.

Seems like a no-brainer, but maybe the issue of the parking costs is being overstated.

That said, the parking costs was a major reason the company I work for moved out of downtown Orlando in February of this year. We left, emptied 3 floors of the Wachovia tower at Central & Orange and moved our 200 employees to brand new building by Millennia. As a resident of downtown, I wasn't happy with this, but parking was costing like $30k/month or something.

this will be a lovely addition to parts "this side" of colonial. i hope it happens!

thanks for sharing, de

Sees like a new building is on the planning block near downtown Orlando, city documents show.

Read more: New building on tap near downtown, city documents show - Charlotte Business Journal

More on the company: www.cthsu.com

this will be a lovely addition to parts "this side" of colonial. i hope it happens!

thanks for sharing, de

Owner occupied new construction for 52,000SF??? Give me a break. You can't tell me that there aren't 52,000SF of vacant space at a Class A tower downtown right now. I'm sure that Suntrust would love to have them as a tenant, or PTP... I would LOVE to see what their feasibility analysis looked like to make that decision. Mind you each floor of WTC when it was up was an acre.

7-11 construction crew is working 7 days a week.

They were in there today and had the whole place opened up. I used the opportunity to snap a picture and ask when they were opening. Their answer was "no later than the last week of September". So, in 3 weeks. That's pretty damn fast. A week ago there was nothing in there. Today, there is a lot of electrical work, interior facade work and coolers coming in.

The picture ... forgive the quality, taken with my phone.

7-11-const-2010-08-29.JPG

How does everyone feel about 7-Eleven in the less visible Pine Street location? I have no doubt it will be self sustaining, but wondering if it would have been better to lease on Church or Orange.

I get the feeling they are going to have some type of signage on Church directing people through the 55W corridor to the store on Pine. I like the idea of pulling people over to Pine from the soon to be heavily trafficked Church St. area as to help spread out the opportunity of exposure for other Downtown areas.

Edited by Ocityst

I get the feeling they are going to have some type of signage on Church directing people through the 55W corridor to the store on Pine. I like the idea of pulling people over to Pine from the soon to be heavily trafficked Church St. area as to help spread out the opportunity of exposure for other Downtown areas.

That's a good point ... I wonder if there are any plans to put up a list of occupants ... there are a lot of retail spots in 55 W which have no direct street visibility.

Wow -- that would be an incredible score for downtown Orlando and it would bring the acts to downtown that are too small for Amway, but too large for the Social. HOB is a largely local venue, and I think it would be a smash hit in downtown Orlando. Obviously there is plenty of opportunity to build somewhere along Church, Pine, or Orange.

Wow -- that would be an incredible score for downtown Orlando and it would bring the acts to downtown that are too small for Amway, but too large for the Social. HOB is a largely local venue, and I think it would be a smash hit in downtown Orlando. Obviously there is plenty of opportunity to build somewhere along Church, Pine, or Orange.

I totally agree, HOB in Downtown Orlando would be AWESOME!!!! Talk about adding another JOLT to the creativity and vibrancy of what's going to be the cultural center of Central Florida, this can only be a good thing!!!